Woman and two small children kicked off bus in the rain.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2014/06/18/rgrta-rts-bus-video/10809507/

RTS releases statement regarding viral bus video
David Riley, 1:11 p.m. EDT June 19, 2014

...On this occasion the situation escalated and reinforces our need to continue to educate customers about pass rules and regulations. The customer and her two children were driven safely home by an RTS employee. We apologize to the other customers who were inconvenienced by this.

As stewards of taxpayer dollars, we must insure appropriate use of our resources and established fare rules."

In a phone interview, 20-year-old city resident Corrine Moore said she was the woman shown in the video. She said she was taking a Route 4 bus home shortly after 8 p.m. on Tuesday with the two children, both younger than 2 years old.

She said after she boarded and paid her fare, she gave her fare card to a man who helped to load her stroller on the bus. She said the driver told her she was not allowed to do that and was rude....

Here's viral video of the incident. WARNING FOUL LANGUAGE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-H1EaqTHdQ&feature=youtu.be

This city has really taken a turn for the worse in the past few years. At least the other people on the bus had it right and so I still have faith in the citizens.

:sigh:

BBM

ETA: The company that wants to educate people doesn't even know the difference between ensure and insure.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ensure

en·sure
verb \in-ˈshu̇r\

: to make (something) sure, certain, or safe
en·sureden·sur·ing
Full Definition of ENSURE
transitive verb
: to make sure, certain, or safe : guarantee
See ensure defined for English-language learners »
See ensure defined for kids »

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/insure

in·sure
verb \in-ˈshu̇r\

: to buy insurance for (something, such as property or health)

GOOD for those other people! For paying the fares AND for telling the driver and the cop EXACTLY how effed up that is, turning them out like that!

Seeing that makes me furious for that poor mom and kids!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smh

What is wrong with people? She paid her money and still the bus driver put her off; I hope she gets her money back.

Omg okay. So I misunderstood. I first thought that the "fraud" was that she used someone else's card, so the passengers paid for her. Actually, she paid for herself then tried to do a good turn and pay for the person who helped her and the kids into the bus. Even WORSE!! Nice reward, kicking her off the bus just for trying to return a kindness! :furious:

Sounds like one of those situations where an employee put the rules before common sense.

Mothers with strollers really are the lepers of public transport, where bus drivers are concerned, in my experience. They glare at you for delaying their timetable, mutter things and generally act like you're the worst person in the world (with a few kind exceptions).

That's IF you can actually get on a bus - I had it happen several times, that drivers slowed the bus to stop, saw me with grocery bags and a stroller, and speeded up again, drove right past. And it's 35C (hot summer) and an *hour* between buses...

My sympathies naturally lie with the mother. It's *hard* to get around with tiny children on buses, just getting them on the bus is a chore (it is nice to hear a man helped her on, that was kind of him). And how stressful, to be kicked off in the pouring rain.

People here were clearly just trying to exchange a kindness for a kindness. Technically right or wrong, that was a good thing to do. It could have been handled better all round. I felt bad for all the little children on the bus, all that shouting must have been scary for them...

Sounds like one of those situations where an employee put the rules before common sense.

^^^^^ Exactly! There is an exception to every rule. If I were the driver I would have stopped her after she was on the bus and say; "Look, I know you were just doing that man a kind turn for helping you. Technically I'm supposed to kick you off the bus for that, but that's not gonna happen today. Just so you know for future reference if another driver sees you do that he may kick you off of the bus."

Some people would think I was a jerk for saying that to her, but at least I would have covered my responsibilities without being a complete :butthead: JMO

I don't understand ...

If the way she did it was wrong and against the rules... Why not just say..she had paid for HIM and used her own pass?
It's all the same in the end.

I'm so confused.

I was upset by the language used in front of all of those young children.

I don't understand ...

If the way she did it was wrong and against the rules... Why not just say..she had paid for HIM and used her own pass?
It's all the same in the end.

I'm so confused.

I was upset by the language used in front of all of those young children.

BBM

Kids need to learn that sometimes those words are appropriate to use. JMO

BBM

There is no reason to use language like that. It does not make words more powerful, it simply makes people look foolish.

Ot, but I totally agree about strollers, lol! I have three young ones and for the last two, I didn't even bother owning a stupid stroller. Big, bulky, cumbersome things! I got lumped into the "hippy with a baby in a backpack" stereotype, but at least I wasn't trying to shove a small vehicle through crowds, lol. When carrying groceries, baby was strapped on front, luggage on my back. I realize not everyone can do that, but I wish more people would!
Mothers with strollers really are the lepers of public transport, where bus drivers are concerned, in my experience. They glare at you for delaying their timetable, mutter things and generally act like you're the worst person in the world (with a few kind exceptions).

That's IF you can actually get on a bus - I had it happen several times, that drivers slowed the bus to stop, saw me with grocery bags and a stroller, and speeded up again, drove right past. And it's 35C (hot summer) and an *hour* between buses...

My sympathies naturally lie with the mother. It's *hard* to get around with tiny children on buses, just getting them on the bus is a chore (it is nice to hear a man helped her on, that was kind of him). And how stressful, to be kicked off in the pouring rain.

People here were clearly just trying to exchange a kindness for a kindness. Technically right or wrong, that was a good thing to do. It could have been handled better all round. I felt bad for all the little children on the bus, all that shouting must have been scary for them...

I think the lesson in solidarity, and righteous anger is an important one for kids to learn. More important than any lesson about swearing. Kids do need to know that anger is an appropriate response to some situations. Otherwise we are just a bunch of polite, but complacent citizens who never stick up for ourselves or one another.

Just my two cents.

I may have missed it but was the reason given as to the why she was being booted? I guess the other ? is are the bus passes paid for as you ride or are they government subsidized? I see the term Taxpayer dollars.

I think the lesson in solidarity, and righteous anger is an important one for kids to learn. More important than any lesson about swearing. Kids do need to know that anger is an appropriate response to some situations. Otherwise we are just a bunch of polite, but complacent citizens who never stick up for ourselves or one another.

Just my two cents.

I think there is also the aspect of compassion. The bus driver clearly did not display that in this circumstance.

I may have missed it but was the reason given as to the why she was being booted? I guess the other ? is are the bus passes paid for as you ride or are they government subsidized? I see the term Taxpayer dollars.

She got on the bus with two kids and a stroller, during a downpour A guy helped her put her stroller on the bus for her. She said thanks, and paid his fare with a bus pass. That's not allowed. Instead of giving her a warning the bus driver called the police and had her and her kids kicked off the bus.

BBM

Actually, I think kids need to learn that words are powerful, communication is powerful...and how you use them can impact situations in your favor.

Swearing and sounding like a fool, teaches a child nothing valuable. Anger is an appropriate response to some situations, but swearing will never lead to being taken with respect.

JMO

She got on the bus with two kids and a stroller, during a downpour A guy helped her put her stroller on the bus for her. She said thanks, and paid his fare with a bus pass. That's not allowed. Instead of giving her a warning the bus driver called the police and had her and her kids kicked off the bus.

My question is why is it not allowed? ty

If it was goverment paid card no she shouldn't be using it to pay for other people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back