978 users online (138 members and 840 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

India - Kate Goldstein, 28, Phey, 15 June 2014

Kate Goldstein

Providence woman goes missing in India

WPRI) —
    A Rhode Island native working abroad in India went for her routine morning run earlier this week – and never returned. The parents of Kate Goldstein are more than 6,000 miles away from home, trying to track down their missing daughter. The Providence native is spending the summer in India installing solar panels in the remote village of Phey. She went jogging by herself sometime around June 15, and hasn’t been heard from since. Kate’s brother, Adam, fears the worst, but remains hopeful she’ll be found safely.
    http://wpri.com/2014/06/20/providenc...sing-in-india/
    My kids are a window to my past, a mirror of today, a door to tomorrow, and a keeper of this proud old dad's heart forever.

This terrifies me. It could be my daughter and she would have no fear of going for a run. I pray this girl is found safe, but worry that she is not.

Oh dear this is scary. I live in India and reports of rape are very common. Going jogging alone as a woman (and with attention grabbing white skin) in a remote village is very dangerous! I would never do that here!

This report doesn't even know the exact date of her disappearance:

"She went jogging by herself sometime around June 15, and hasn’t been heard from since." (bbm)

There must have been other foreigners working with her? They must know when exactly she was last seen? And what took them so long to report her missing? Puzzling. Are they searching? I can't find any more info.

I hope she is safe, but I have a bad feeling.

Just to underscore how dangerous it is here for women: a friend of mine is 25 years old. She still lives at home with her parents (as is the norm here for that age). She has a scooter but isn't allowed to drive it outside of the immediate area where the family lives. If she has to go further than that she has to take her father's car. It's too dangerous for a young woman to drive on a scooter, too vulnerable for being grabbed, molested, etc.

And this is in a city which is quite modern in many respects and where many educated people and Western immigrants live. How much worse it'll be in a remote village.

Quote Originally Posted by los2188 View Post
    Kate Goldstein

Providence woman goes missing in India

WPRI) —

Article says "Kate got her undergraduate degree at Brown University. During the school year, her brother said she was living in Boston while studying for a PhD at MIT."

I thought gee, such a smart girl, surely she knew the dangers? But then I read this:

"Adam also said his sister is a brave person, perhaps – in his words – too brave for her own good".

Her bio from a speaking engagement:

Kate Goldstein earned her Bachelor’s Degree in engineering from Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. Ms. Goldstein fell in love with the connection between energy and the environment and explored the field in latter half of college. She co-authored a book chapter on lignocellulosic biofuels after an NSF-funded research experience for undergraduates. She worked installing solar thermal and solar PV systems for Alteris at the end of her college career and during the summer afterwards, and also worked as a consultant for the same company. She got her masters degree from the University of Texas at Austin in Architectural Engineering after finding her place studying energy in buildings. She is now at MIT in the first year of her PhD working in the Building Technology department. Kate’s thesis will look at quantitative infrared thermography for targeted energy efficiency improvements in local Boston neighborhoods, and hopefully beyond.

http://www.nesea.org/buildingenergy/speakers/

The shirt she's wearing is creepy in this context. :-/

What a nightmare, I hope she is found quickly. India is a fantasy destination of mine, but I'm under no illusion about the safety factor. *sigh*

Oh no. I really hope this lovely young woman is found safe and sound, but, like others, I have a bad feeling. I have travelled extensively and India is the only place where I was repeatedly groped, even in large crowds in broad daylight. I hope to never return there. I will be praying for Kate.

It happens elsewhere too. I have been groped in Turkey, repeatedly, with my bf standing next to me.

But yes, you are right, India is not safe for women, especially when walking around alone. European and American women are usually not aware of just how easily they can get molested or worse here.

Another friend of mine, she's from Sweden, never went out without her two dogs. Many people here are afraid of dogs, so they are like a bodyguard even if they're total sweethearts. And she wasn't a young woman, she was in her 50s.

I worry for Kate.

Interview with her brother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMGpWceNmls

I'm not finding any news updates.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.U6coedq9KSM

RIP Ms. Goldstein, you were a brave young woman that was working to help the world. Condolences to your family.

Heartbreaking

I have known Katie and her family for years. She was truly an amazing girl, very caring and sweet. Please keep her and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

OMG!! I'm so sorry to hear that.

Rest in Peace Kate! Thank you for trying to help here in India. You were needed and valued.

Oh wow, such a sad outcome. She was so brilliant, with great things to come in her life. Prayers to her family and friends.

Now I have to add - even though I really don't want to even think it - I hope that she wasn't abused and then thrown over the cliff so she couldn't tell authorities.

I guess I'm just growing too cynical after reading of all the terrible things that happen to good people

I had the same though Unsolved. I hope they do a thorough autopsy.

How tragic!

My deepest condolences to her family and friends, I'm sorry for your loss.

Rest peacefully, Kate.

My heart is broken..............
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”

The missing and murdered cannot cry out for Justice. It is the duty for the living to do so for them.

I stand with Standing Rock!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast