1395 users online (263 members and 1132 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

CA - Mike Herdman, 34, Tar Creek, 15 June 2014 - #2

Mike Herdman

Off-Duty Arcadia Firefighter Goes Missing While Camping Near Fillmore

Mike Herdman, 34, was hiking with a friend to the popular trail to Tar Creek when he chased after his dog, according to Capt. Mike Franke of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office. The trail is off a dirt road in the Topatopa Mountains, north of the small city of Fillmore (map). It was not clear where exactly Herdman had been when he ran after his dog.
    Read more: http://ktla.com/2014/06/16/off-duty-...#ixzz34rXSYCFK

Thread 1

Scanner Thread

Media/Resource Thread
    Last edited by KateB; 04-27-2015 at 05:54 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    "When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Quote Originally Posted by Tssiemer View Post
    Uhm. Does that mean he is dead based on that post on fb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No. As always, posts on Facebook are considered rumor. The person may be assuming because the dog was found without his owner. There is nothing so far to indicate this is true.

Salem

Hey everybody - please do not begin speculating about the fellow hiker. The Sheriff has indicated that there is no suspicion of foul play in regards to such a scenario. If the Sheriff indicates otherwise, we will reconsider, but for now, that speculation is off the table.

I have removed a few posts for such speculation, so if your post is gone, that's what happened.

Thanks,

Salem

Not sure if this is the best way to post it but if any of you can help me make sense of this info, it would be much appreciated. I see Ghostwheel and EngineCo16 might be able to jump in.

From the KTLA video at this link http://ktla.com/2014/06/17/arcadia-f...y-dog-on-hike/ around 1:09, it seems the camp was around the intersection of Alder Creek + Sespe Creek. In the video, it states Mike chased Duke south along the creek. Looks just south of Shady Trail Camp.

I also noted on the maps Dough Flat - is that the location of the Command Center?

I attached the map with some location points discussed but different Google Map views.

Also here I found some comments on news articles. Can someone make sense of it? I've listed the links and quoted some of the comments.

(A) http://www.vcstar.com/news/2014/jun/...ghter-missing/
    (1) Comment at 06/20 5:09pm talks about no trail existing if Herdman went downstream on the Sespe from where Tar Creek trail joins the stream. Also notes house size boulders and couldn't have gone far without shoes. Mentions that if he was 5 miles upstream, above the area called the "Narrows", then the canyon opens up and there are more avenues off this main canyon.
    (2) Comment at 06/21 10:58am talks about hearing the radio report the last campsite was about 15 miles from the command post. The camp may have been well up the Sespe, above the area known as the Narrows.
    (3) Comment at 06/21 3:59pm talks about Mike being lost around the Shady Camp site on Alder Creek Trail. If the journey started at Dough Flat, the total loop distance of 21.6 miles would put them at the Tar Creek Trailhead Parking lot when they finished. They parked a car at Dough Flat and another at Tar Creek Trailhead, according to early ranger reports. Mike's companion with the help of the fisherman, must have completed the loop and exited the journey at Tar Creek TH. The pot grow was located off of the Alder Creek Trail from earlier reports. The poster had hiked Tar Creek and the Sespe all the way to what is called the "3rd swim" and believed he could not last 5 minutes in my bare feet on this terrain. This link is also noted which might be the similar route that Mike and his companion took: http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/sespeg.htm
    (4) Comment at 06/21 4:53pm talks about the area that Alder and Sespe Creek joins being the spot they stopped to camp. If they were directly below Shady, the creek drops very quickly down a rugged cut, and barefoot would be very difficult. The site the man on the video points to is an area more easily traversed barefoot.

(B) http://www.vcstar.com/news/2014/jun/...t-seen-hiking/
    (1) Comment at 06/17 10:54am talks about starting on Dough Flat on Wednesday, then possibly Friday put them well below where Alder Creek joins the Sespe. Mentions that it's a two day hike either back to Dough Flats or out by way of Tar Creek. In between is rough and rugged with little trail.

And while searching on Google for "mike herdman alder creek", I found this info about the area. http://davidstillman.blogspot.com/20...whole-lot.html
    For this blog post, there is an "Anonymous" commenter at 12/30/12 at 10:56pm who identifies himself as mike herdman. He asks the blog writer more about this particular post. He mentions that he has experience in the Sespe 2 years ago and had done the Dough Flat Tar Creek partial loop twice. He asks for more info about gear and type of expertise needed. He states that he typically hikes on trails in the Sespe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CA - Mike Herdman (Firefighter), 34, Tar Creek, Ventura Co., 15 June 2014, #2

Please continue here.

Salem

I was watching this thread and also listening to Lana Del Rey
    http://youtu.be/nVjsGKrE6E8

and then my whole computer shut down.
    Glad to be back and hoping, praying, for rescue/recovery of Firefighter Mike Herdman.
    Prayers up.

Marking my spot.

Not happy that we need a second thread for this case. I was so hoping he'd be found by now.

At least Duke is safe.

It seems to me that if it was 12 miles away from the lot where Duke was found to where he was barking all night, that should be the exact area they should concentrate. Duke was barking to say come here come here I got a problem here. I think he was with Mike then.

To me there is something just WRONG about a trained firefighter walking barefoot in the woods for ANY real distance. I just don't buy into that part of the story. Without finding him there is no way to prove it. But to me there is something(s) not adding up here.

JMO's

I've been gone all weekend, I didn't expect to comeback to him still missing.

I was about to quote a post and respond to it when the thread was closed lol! Someone tonight asked about wildlife in the area and I wanted to fill you in on what was discussed previously regarding this. In summary, it is extremely rare and therefore extremely unlikely that he would have been attacked by a mountain lion or bear. The biggest concern would be a snake, especially a juvenile rattlesnake as they don't give a warning, they will inject all of their venom, and, in my opinion, especially in light of one of the searchers being bitten by one (who I really hope is doing better!). It seems, statistically, the most dangerous animals out there are the human variety, especially, again in my opinion, the pot growers. I wonder about booby traps that I have heard rumors of that folks like that will use around the boundary.
    I hope this helps! I suggest reading the info that was shared about the mountain lions and bears, very interesting stats, if you or anyone else can locate them
    Last edited by Sunshine95; 06-23-2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Edited for spelling :)

Got a message back from Peachy, a fellow WS scanner pro. She said she will be happy to help with the scanner thread tomorrow. So when they send up the choppers we might be able to be online.

We just have to remember what is discussed in the scanner thread cannot be discussed on this public thread. It's kind of like Vegas, lol.

Hi all, just jumping in from lurking. Mike is an experienced hiker, and don't inexperienced hikers know to stay put if they are lost? Even if he was chasing after his dog, wouldn't he have realized after a few minutes he was lost and started calling for his friend? It seems to me that he may have been incapacitated from the beginning.

I've tried to read every post and I don't remember this being brought up, but would you think that if Mike were injured and conscious and his dog found him, that he would tie something to his collar and send him off? Maybe tear off a piece of his shirt and tie it around his collar or neck to let someone know he was alive if they found Duke?

Have to add I'm so glad Duke is finally safe tonight, poor baby must have been so confused, hungry and scared out there for a week. He looked so exhausted and miserable in that picture, yet so comforted to finally be safe in someone's lap.

Duke, where is your daddy?
    Last edited by Snoods; 06-23-2014 at 12:44 AM. Reason: poor wording
    Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that one animal their world is changed forever! -Unknown

Video and new pictures of Duke after rescue.

http://abc7.com/news/firefighters-do...d-back/132574/

That was Mike's sister who had him on her lap. That is the saddest face on a dog I have ever seen! Poor thing!
    Richard Castle " There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people: psychopaths and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

Quote Originally Posted by Snoods View Post
    Hi all, just jumping in from lurking. Mike is an experienced hiker, and don't inexperienced hikers know to stay put if they are lost? Even if he was chasing after his dog, wouldn't he have realized after a few minutes he was lost and started calling for his friend? It seems to me that he may have been incapacitated from the beginning.

I've tried to read every post and I don't remember this being brought up, but would you think that if Mike were injured and conscious and his dog found him, that he would tie something to his collar and send him off? Maybe tear off a piece of his shirt and tie it around his collar or neck to let someone know he was alive if they found him?

Have to add I'm so glad Duke is finally safe tonight, poor baby must have been so confused, hungry and scared out there for a week. He looked so exhausted and miserable in that picture, yet so comforted to finally be safe in someone's lap.

Duke, where is your daddy?
    BBM Snoods, you've got some MacGyver in you!!
    Richard Castle " There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people: psychopaths and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast