CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Starting a thread per user request:

DoeNetwork Hot Case 1859 http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1859.html
NamUs UP # 4170 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4170

Unidentified White Male
Found May 4, 1986 near 2530 Topanga Canyon Boulevard in Los Angeles County, California.

Vital Stats
Estimated Age: 20-30 years (Dental Age: 30-40)
Estimated Weight: 130 lbs
Height: Per NamUs: 68 inches (5 feet 8 inches) - Per DoeNetwork: 66-69 inches
Hair Color: Black

Condition
Body Parts Inventory: All Parts Recovered
Body Condition: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
Probable Year of Death: 1986

Clothing and Accessories

Clothing: Found in a trash bag were blue Levis, (leg pants cut-offs) 32-w x 34. A blue and black hooded sweatshirt, size small; gray Nike shoes, size 9 and black socks. Prescription eye glasses; purple nylon underwear; blue knit cap and a green backpack.​

Circumstances of death
The victim was found nude in a 4 foot hole, 400 yards north of 2530 Topanga Canyon Boulevard in Los Angeles County, California on May 4, 1986.​

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Not Available
Dental: Maxillary Available (Mandible Not Found)
DNA: Sample submitted - Tests complete​

NamUs states the upper body was skeletal and he was measured at 130 lbs - probably safe to add some weight to that estimate if that's the case. The clothing and shoe sizes do point to him being a smaller guy, though.

This guy caught my eye: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gallen_steven.html I'm taking some liberty with the hair color, as I've seen dark brown called black and visa versa, and what would have brought him to Malibu from San Francisco, I have no idea, but he fits the parameters.

Bill Paulson went missing in March of 1985. No clothing description, height and weight aren't quite correct but close.

David Bruce Rea from Lake Leelanau Michigan. 5'9"-5'10" 140-150 pounds wears eyeglasses had a "Green Backpack" http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/rea_david.html http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1859.html

The timeline works too. This PM sounds really good.

Both men have DNA in NamUs, but I don't think it's a rule-out just yet. We don't know what type of DNA they have in the system; if one has nDNA and the other mtDNA, it won't trigger a match. This is worth calling in, just to be sure.

(Somewhat off topic, but this is why I'm so frustrated that NamUs no longer allows civilians to see what type of DNA they have in the system.)

Those look like a good match to me. And in the photos, I would actually have called David's hair black. It's very dark. Maybe he decided to take off and hitchhike across country. This UID is a long way from Michigan but I don't think he can be ruled out solely on that.

Has David Bruce Rea been called in as a potential match for the UID?

Still unidentified - an intriguing note in Namus that he had a "rather hairy back". I wonder how that was determined, since his upper body was supposedly skeletal, but maybe there was lower torso that revealed this.

0 Missing Person Exclusions” per NamUs

IS1z7ksrrwib5f0000000000.jpg

this is the google view of that address

has there been any new evidence in this case? Stanley is my uncle and we have been wondering where he is for more than 30 years now.

Hi Magicman… no new evidence per se, but you will see that Stanley was suggested at one point as possibly a match to this unidentified deceased man. However in late December 2019 the system used to record both Missing Persons and unidentified decedents was showing Zero rule-outs. This means noone has been suggested to Police and then ruled-out (either through DNA, dental or other evidence).

HOWEVER... an annoying part of the system is that we cannot see the part of the system that shows any DNA comparisons that have been done.

Basically if there is DNA for Stanley or a direct relative in the system then it may be possible people have been automatically ruled out and we can't see their names.

You or a family member may wish to call the Medical Examiner contact point for this case in Namus (www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/4170/contacts):

Betsy Magdaleno
County of Los Angeles Dept of Medical Examiner - Coroner
(323) 343-0512 and she will need the case number 1986 - 05843

Do let us know what you find out. I hope 2020 brings your family some answers.

has there been any new evidence in this case? Stanley is my uncle and we have been wondering where he is for more than 30 years now.

Hi Magicman… no new evidence per se, but you will see that Stanley was suggested at one point as possibly a match to this unidentified deceased man. However in late December 2019 the system used to record both Missing Persons and unidentified decedents was showing Zero rule-outs. This means noone has been suggested to Police and then ruled-out (either through DNA, dental or other evidence).

HOWEVER... an annoying part of the system is that we cannot see the part of the system that shows any DNA comparisons that have been done.

Basically if there is DNA for Stanley or a direct relative in the system then it may be possible people have been automatically ruled out and we can't see their names.

You or a family member may wish to call the Medical Examiner contact point for this case in Namus (www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/4170/contacts):

Betsy Magdaleno
County of Los Angeles Dept of Medical Examiner - Coroner
(323) 343-0512 and she will need the case number 1986 - 05843

Do let us know what you find out. I hope 2020 brings your family some answers.

I also created Stanley his own Missing Person thread in WS CA - - CA - Stanley Evan Roblin, 47, Newbury Park, 11 Mar 86

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back