865 users online (128 members and 737 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MA - Noah Curtin, 22, Barnstable, 11 May 2005

BARNSTABLE - For the last year and a half, 22-year-old Noah Curtin has had the same daily routine.

Sometime in mid-morning - usually about 9:30 a.m. - he leaves the apartment above the barn at his family's Oak Street home in West Barnstable and starts walking.
    He walks all day, often traversing wooded areas near the Cape Cod Airport, other times banking north toward the waterfront at Sandy Neck.

And every day he arrives home by nightfall. Sometimes, if he's running late, he calls. Other times, his clothes are wet, as if he's been swimming. But each day he arrives safely at home. That pattern was broken Wednesday when Curtin didn't come home. His parents, Nancy Shea and Chris Curtin, fear that something tragic has happened to their son.

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes...tssearch14.htm

"Other times, his clothes are wet, as if he's been swimming."

I think this is the part that bothers me the most..
    are they saying that he went swimming With his clothes on?

They should probably check all the places that he normally goes swimming at.. with divers

I hope he is found. He does look like a sweet person in his picture.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...g_22_year_old/

They never actually disclose if he is mentally challenged,
    or if he would be persuaded easily to go with someone.

I hope they find him soon.
    It is chilly there at night.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon25
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...g_22_year_old/

They never actually disclose if he is mentally challenged,
    or if he would be persuaded easily to go with someone.

I hope they find him soon.
    It is chilly there at night.
    The Boston Globe didn't mention any mental health issues, but in the article posted below they do....
    Family members describe Curtin as a loner. They said he relies on medication for a mental condition, and he does not have it with him. They also stress that he is not a threat, has never gotten into any kind of trouble and should be considered approachable by anyone who may spot him.

Sudzi

Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I hope the find him soon. The poor family, in this case it is like having a young child missing, he sounds vulnerable. I hope no one took advantage of him and hurt him. He does kinda look like Ashton K. This is no laughing matter but I had to chuckle when his father was quoted as saying "He wouldnt just get on a bus and go somewhere." Poor father is probably thinking about the runaway bride, and afraid his son missing would not be taken seriously.

Toward the end of the article it stated he had attended a college prep school; the article also mentioned he had seen a psychiatrist. It sounds like he may have had some sort of breakdown.

Family holds out hope for a miracle to find son

Noah Curtin's mother knew the search for her 22-year-old son, missing since May 11, couldn't last forever. Not with hundreds of people, including local and state police, over a dozen K-9 units and a gang of local volunteers scouring 1,100 acres of Barnstable conservation land for any trace of her son.

Family members said five pieces of clothing discovered in the woods were his, but they were unable to say whether the items were worn the day the Curtin disappeared.

Curtin suffers from mild schizophrenia and, according to his family, has a fixation with taking long walks through the thickly wooded areas near his family's Oak Street home in West Barnstable. He also is drawn to water and sometimes would return home from his daily trek with water-logged cloths.

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/familyholds20.htm

The parents of Noah Curtin, the 22-year-old West Barnstable man who disappeared more than two weeks ago, will spend the weekend looking for their son in conservation land in Sandwich.

"Shea-Curtin said she knows this story will likely not have a happy ending. If her son were alive, she said, he would have called home."

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/missingmanxs28.htm

Prayers for the family.

JJJJaded is offline It's The Same Old Story, Same Old Song and Dance, My Friend...S. Tyler
    Prayers that they do find him alive and well.

JJJJ

This is so very sad. Finding his clothing does not bode well for the family. It does seem as though he should be somewhere near the clothing. I hope they find him soon.

Just a post to let the Curtin family know I'm thinking about them, and hoping for the best with Noah's safe return.

Mother holds onto hope for missing son

By Joe Burns/ jburns@cnc.com
    Thursday, June 9, 2005

The telephone rings in Nancy Shea's Centerville home. Even though she's pressed for time and doesn't recognize the phone number, Shea stops what she's doing and picks it up.

"Whenever a phone number comes up that I don't recognize I answer it," she says, "because it might be Noah."

Noah Curtin, Shea's 22-year-old son, would speak to her by phone five times a day. But neither she nor anyone else has seen or heard from him since May 11.

On that day, Curtin went for a walk in the conservation area near his West Barnstable home.

Curtin was known for taking long walks, sometimes for as long 10 hours.

"He used to say he walked all day because the woods were his church," Shea recalled, describing a son who'd become increasingly religious and reclusive in recent months.

Diagnosed as schizophrenic five years ago, Curtin was still able to function on a high level without medication, Shea says, comparing his situation to the high functioning scientist in the movie "A Beautiful Mind."

A few months back that situation changed. In March, after a long walk on a bitter cold day, Curtin was found by the police suffering from the effects of exposure to the elements. Brought to Cape Cod Hospital, Curtin was placed on medication. Shea came to his home, which was the house he'd grown up in, the morning of May 11 to give him his medication. It was the last time that she saw her son.

Curtin's illness interfered with life, as his friends move on with their lives and away from his. A physically healthy, handsome young man, Curtin fought his mental illness.

"He tried to lead a normal life, "Shea says.

A writer, musician and actor who performed in local theater, Curtin is a big fan of the since disbanded counter-culture rock group, Phish. And, like many of their fans, he followed them from concert to concert.

Curtin never took a phone with him when he walked so there was no way of contacting him when he failed to return home. Curtin was seen in the conservation area the day he disappeared. State police have found articles of his clothing in the conservation area, but Shea says they are not sure if they were clothes he was wearing that day

Shea and Curtin's father, Chris Curtin of Harwich, continue searching and hoping, with the support of their friends and community.

There was a candlelight vigil Wednesday at Our Lady of Victory Church in Centerville, "So we can all get together and pray," Shea says.

"Every day I think this will be the day," Shea says of the ongoing roller coaster ride of hope and fear.

Something drastic happened," Shea says. "And we're not going to stop looking for him."

http://www2.townonline.com/barnstabl...ticleid=263557

Police believe body found in Barnstable pond may be missing man
    BARNSTABLE, Mass. - Barnstable police believe they've found the body of a 22-year-old man missing for about a month.
    Police say the body was found floating in Paddy's Pond in the Marstons Mills section of Barnstable about 8 p.m. last night.
    Barnstable Police Sergeant Sean Sweeney says the clothing found on the body matches the description of what Noah Curtin was last seen wearing.
    Sweeney says a final identification will be made by the state medical examiner later today or tomorrow.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...rticleid=89224

I hope this isn't him
    But it probably is. At least his family will have closure

Has noahcurtin.com always had that graphic up? That looks like something you'd put up if you knew he was gone, not if it were an active missing person's case.

If it hasn't always been that, his family must know the body was his.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast