Verified Insider
Reaction score
MW5FzXe.jpg
tK3Ggd1.jpg

Shirley and Russell Dermond

Missing wife of decapitated Georgia man found dead in lake
By Chelsea J. Carter and AnneClaire Stapleton, CNN
updated 10:54 PM EDT, Fri May 16, 2014

Shirley Dermond's body was found in Lake Oconee, south of Athens, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told reporters Friday.

"We now, unfortunately, know that Shirley Dermond was murdered," Sills said. Sills declined to discuss the condition of the body other than to say, "the head was not removed or anything like that.

"We haven't even had a funeral for Russell because their kids wanted to wait. Now that we know about Shirley, we will start planning the funeral services for both.
GA GA - Shirley Dermond, 87, Putnam County **Media Links***NO DISCUSSION*** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4

Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7

REMINDER

• We do not sleuth individuals who have not been named by law enforcement as suspects or persons of interest.
  • We do not link to social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter) of persons who have not been indicated as suspects/POI's by LE.
  • We do not link to a social media page unless we are 100% certain it belongs to the suspect/victim.
  • We never post the name of a private individual who has not been named in the media. Even then, unless s/he's a major player, initials should be used in place of full names.
  • With the exception of a victim, we never post the full name of a minor.
  • Linking to social media pages (Facebook, Twitter) is allowed for these four categories: Victims, Suspects, MSM and LE.
  • FACTS must be accompanied by a link to an appropriate source, i.e., MSM, LE. Blogs are not MSM.
  • If you can't link it, you can't post it.
  • RUMORS are not allowed to be posted.
  • Any exceptions to the rule MUST be mod-approved.
  • If you don't think you should post it, then DON'T.

Questions about the rules or moderator decisions should be addressed to a mod in a pm.

If you see a post that violates TOS, please do not quote it. Alert the post ASAP so a mod can handle the problem.

REMINDER: IMAGES must be accompanied by a link to the original source. Images posted without links will be removed.

Also, for the posters who have complained about the excessive use of smilies in this thread (which many find to be rude and highly disrespectful to the deceased couple):

YOUR IGNORE LIST AND YOU .

We would hope that members exercise good judgment with regard to "smilies". Most do; a few don't.

Please continue here, and remember OFF TOPIC posts are subject to removal.

“Off-Topic” Posts:

OTPs are posts that do not relate to the original post/topic, or are placed in the wrong category. While we realize threads often expand into different topics, we encourage members to do their best to stick with the original topic, or start another thread. Off-Topic posts are subject to editing or removal at administrative discretion, and without notification. Members that continuously post off topic may have their posting privileges suspended.
Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

For Atlanta locals..Rusty Sneiderman case on ID channel right now eastern time

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to quote myself, but this is all I've got for now.

I wish we knew why the killer took Mrs. Dermond's body and "placed' it in the lake. If Sheriff Sills can find out the answer to that, I think he'll have the killer(s). Why would the killer(s) not just leave Mrs. Dermond's body with Mr. Dermond's? The only reason I can think of is a failed extortion/ransom attempt.

Then there's the possible motive of who would benefit if Mrs. Dermond was not found.

Could the killer have not wanted anyone to know that he/they beat Mrs. Dermond to death, so they hid her body? Not that he/they felt guilty, because no way do I think he/they did. But maybe he/they didn't want everyone to know how vicious her murder was?

What other reasons could there be for hiding Mrs. Dermond's body? I hope we hear from Sheriff Sills soon!

I would like to be a fly on the wall over at the sheriffs office and see...what's what!

Why would the killer(s) not just leave Mrs. Dermond's body with Mr. Dermond's? The only reason I can think of is a failed extortion/ransom attempt.

Then there's the possible motive of who would benefit if Mrs. Dermond was not found.

Or, it was carefully planned out and the killer thought he would create an even greater diversion from solving the crime by having Mrs. D's body never found by placing it where he did and having SS and posse searching for her and a head for years. Only he didn't expect her to surface.

IMO, this was well thought out. It would be easier to solve if it was not. And I completely discount what we can not talk about (UNFAM, not UNGAT) being a factor, so who benefits financially from her not being found is not an issue as I see it. But I do not discount someone benefitting financially from RD not being around. But it would not be an heir that just wanted to accelerate what otherwise would come naturally in time.

....and still you may not learn anymore than we already know. Here is a link to an interview with SS today on Macon's WMAZ.

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/2014/06/24/no-new-leads-in-dermond-murders/11327969/

Thanks for the link and interview.
Previously, there was an article that narrowed the timeline to Friday, now it is back to being sometime between Friday May 2 and Saturday May 3rd.

The reward is up to 55 thousand dollars.

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/2014/06/24/no-new-leads-in-dermond-murders/11327969/

ETA:
I found the link from June 4th that states:
"Deputies say someone killed and beheaded 88-year-old Russell Dermond on May 2 at his home in Great Waters Reynolds Plantation."
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/exclusive-sheriff-says-reynolds-plantation-couple-/ngDzD/

Or, it was carefully planned out and the killer thought he would create an even greater diversion from solving the crime by having Mrs. D's body never found by placing it where he did and having SS and posse searching for her and a head for years. Only he didn't expect her to surface.

IMO, this was well thought out. It would be easier to solve if it was not. And I completely discount what we can not talk about (UNFAM, not UNGAT) being a factor, so who benefits financially from her not being found is not an issue as I see it. But I do not discount someone benefitting financially from RD not being around. But it would not be an heir that just wanted to accelerate what otherwise would come naturally in time.

BBM

I get that and can see that as a strong possibility.

But why, as it appears to me, did they beat her in the head (for a lack of better words)? Why not just shoot her and/or leave her with Mr. D? Do you think it was an attempt to make it look like something else? Or maybe the perp didn't intend to kill her and was caught off guard by her and became angry?

Seems that if the neighbor could distinguish whether the person she witnessed was a man or a woman. There should be a description of his dress, race, height, weight, etc., to release to the public; a very valuable investigative resource..jmo

Well, the article did state "from a distance". I agree that there should be some description, but, we don't know the age of the witness or how good their vision is.

I've often wondered if this was a home invasion that went wrong from the beginning. Wrong address, perhaps, to start. Regardless, let's say that the home invaders thought that there was a safe or a cache, and were trying to get the D's to give up a combination or location. Let's say, perhaps, that they figured that Mr. D wasn't going to say anything, so the plan was to hold a gun to his head and have Mrs. D give the combo/location. Perhaps the gun went off in a struggle or by accident, and Mr. D was shot in the head. Perp 2 might have said to Perp 1 -- 'oops -- hey bro, that gun is traceable/isn't clean', and so they decided to decapitate Mr. D (perhaps later) to remove the bullet that could be traced to, say, some other crime through ballistics. Then they thought something like 'well, Mrs. D will be a witness, so let's kill her now and put her body in the lake to remove as much evidence as we can'.

Just a theory, but I think that the 'home invasion gone wrong' theory is possible. It has certainly happened many, many times before.

BBM

I get that and can see that as a strong possibility.

But why, as it appears to me, did they beat her in the head (for a lack of better words)? Why not just shoot her and/or leave her with Mr. D? Do you think it was an attempt to make it look like something else? Or maybe the perp didn't intend to kill her and was caught off guard by her and became angry?

Shooting = noise unless a silencer is used. Too risky without one. Elderly will go down with one blow to the head. I think her surprising the perp at some point is certainly a good possibility. Leave her and you have a double murder investigation, but take her and the diversion is much greater. That's why if it was well thought out, the plan may have been to take her out and away from the beginning.

My opinion from what I have read here and in msm is that this was to hide or avoid something that RD was involved with or knew about, and the gruesomeness was just a product of an incredibly diabolical but cunning mind. Probably lots of cunning minds in and around Great Waters, so high chance someone knew where they were at all times and blended in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts