1225 users online (238 members and 987 guests)  



Websleuths News


Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,250

    Eli Wallach, star of The Magnificent Seven, dies at 98

    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28012230

    Eli Wallach, whose films included The Magnificent Seven and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, has died aged 98.

    Character actor Wallach - who began his film career in 1956 after 10 years on stage - was admired for his wide range in a career spanning six decades.

    His portrayal of bandit chief Calvera in The Magnificent Seven was regarded by many as his definitive role.

    When he received an honorary Oscar in 2011, he was described as a "quintessential chameleon".

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    18,522
    He certainly had a good innings and what a brilliant actor. R.I.P.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Posts
    4,345
    R.I.P. Eli.

    I believe his niece is married to crime novelist and true-crime writer James Ellroy, the son of Geneva Ellroy, the victim in an unsolved 1958 murder. See my later correction regarding this statement-they did not marry
    Last edited by STANDREID; 06-26-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.


    Stan Reid

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,202
    Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    R.I.P. Eli.

    I believe his niece is married to crime novelist and true-crime writer James Ellroy, the son of Geneva Ellroy, the victim in an unsolved 1958 murder.
    That would be great if it were true. James Ellroy has been divorced from Helen Knode since 2006, and is now in a relationship with Erika Schickel. Neither woman is Wallach's niece.

    Signed,

    Your Friendly Neighborhood James Ellroy Geek

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeSommers View Post
    That would be great if it were true. James Ellroy has been divorced from Helen Knode since 2006, and is now in a relationship with Erika Schickel. Neither woman is Wallach's niece.

    Signed,

    Your Friendly Neighborhood James Ellroy Geek
    Well, that's what I understood Ellroy to say in his audio commentary for The Lineup, a Wallach film. I'll watch it again sometime. It's the only film I prefer to watch with the audio commentary.

    Edit: OK, I see now that a woman named Joan was a woman that Ellroy was apparently in love with and was Wallach's niece by marriage. Apparently he never married her. I was confused when Ellroy referred to him as uncle Eli.

    Thanks for calling that to my attention. I also corrected this on another site where I made the same statement.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 06-26-2014 at 08:25 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.


    Stan Reid

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,202
    Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    Well, that's what I understood Ellroy to say in his audio commentary for The Lineup, a Wallach film. I'll watch it again sometime.
    I'll happily admit to being wrong if you can post a verifying link. Not saying that to be snarky. I've Googled everything I can think of to find it mentioned somewhere, but keep coming up empty. Will keep looking.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeSommers View Post
    I'll happily admit to being wrong if you can post a verifying link. Not saying that to be snarky. I've Googled everything I can think of to find it mentioned somewhere, but keep coming up empty. Will keep looking.
    See my correction. You were right but there is some connection as I indicated in my redo.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.


    Stan Reid



Similar Threads

  1. Dynasty star Kate O Mara dies
    By zwiebel in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 07:04 PM
  2. Are You Being Served? star Trevor Bannister dies at 76
    By Dark Knight in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 08:44 PM
  3. 'Titanic' co-star Gloria Stuart dies at 100
    By Dark Knight in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 08:38 AM
  4. Kathryn Grayson, star of '40s, '50s musicals, dies
    By Dark Knight in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 10:27 PM
  5. Eye Witness News Star Dies.
    By deanws in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 05:34 PM