GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

belimom

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes~M.Kuhn
Reaction score
Georgia toddler's death -- first blamed on heat -- is ongoing probe, police say

(CNN)
-- It was a tragedy from the outset: a toddler found dead apparently after being left alone for hours in a hot car, a distraught father blaming himself and facing serious criminal charges.

Now, Cobb County, Georgia, police imply there is more -- much more -- to the story.

"Much has changed about the circumstances leading up to the death of this 22-month-old since it was first reported," Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce told CNN. He would not elaborate, citing an ongoing investigation, but his words made it clear this was not just another case of a young life left and lost to heat exposure in a hot car.

"I've been in law enforcement for 34 years. What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather," said Pierce.

140620201004-nr-brooke-mom-lost-kid-in-hot-car-00004516-story-body.jpg

More at http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/21/us/toddler-car-death-probe/?sr=google_news

Carrying this over :

That is not 100% true based on what I read on kidsandcars.org and the Washington post article. Some yes, the parents switched or a grandparent were watching the kids and forgot because they weren't use to having them but most cases the parent that does it everyday and was either distracted, stressed, on the phone or their normal routine was interrupted by an added stop or leaving at a different time. Most stories I read said because they are so use to dropping them they all thought they did despite the child still being in the car. They continue the day as if its any other day and have even recalled drop of scenarios that hadn't happened that day. That's why seeing a picture or a spouse asking how the child did at drop off during the day of accidents won't normally trigger an oh no feeling in them. Many have driven all the way back to the daycare to pick them up not realizing the poor babies are deceased in the back seat.

People keep saying "this happens all the time". I've said it but I want to rephrase. This happens... If there are 40 something cases of children passing in cars, not all left, its not all that common. Just tragic

Fox 5 claims car stunk to high heavens when first responders got there

6:00 pm Newscast:

-Preliminary COD, appears he died of hypothermia.
-Message from police chief. This has been controversial, people believe father is a victim. The chain of events does not point towards simple negligence. The evidence will point towards more.
-Very early on it was clear serious crime had been committed
-LE sources say they were immediately suspicious
-The timing of the discovery makes them skeptical
-He claims he didn't realize for 1.4 miles
-LE says the smell was overwhelming, clue #1 he wasn't telling the truth. The first of many
-LE source says the search made them more suspicious (How long it takes animal to die)
-No word on motive, currently

That's when I lost my connection. I have no idea if the elaborated further.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - GA - Ongoing probe into toddler's death first blamed on heat, Cobb County, June 2014

"He is charged with Felony Murder, and the second degree felony charge"

"A new warrant was filed Wednesday, changing his charges from first- to second-degree child cruelty. He is also charged with murder. The downgrade from first- to second-degree means investigators no longer belive there was criminal intent. Second-degree cruelty to children charge implies negligence, not criminal intent. "
Second degree murder. Not first.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/source-cobb-father-new-child-was-left-hot-car/ngR5y/

Still conflicting info/ Chief of police wrote letter saying this isn't a typical accidental child left behind yet earlier reports today said the charges were reduced because police say they felt it was accidental

Carrying this over :

That is not 100% true based on what I read on kidsandcars.org and the Washington post article. Some yes, the parents switched or a grandparent were watching the kids and forgot because they weren't use to having them but most cases the parent that does it everyday and was either distracted, stressed, on the phone or their normal routine was interrupted by an added stop or leaving at a different time. Most stories I read said because they are so use to dropping them they all thought they did despite the child still being in the car. They continue the day as if its any other day and have even recalled drop of scenarios that hadn't happened that day. That's why seeing a picture or a spouse asking how the child did at drop off during the day of accidents won't normally trigger an oh no feeling in them. Many have driven all the way back to the daycare to pick them up not realizing the poor babies are deceased in the back seat.

People keep saying "this happens all the time". I've said it but I want to rephrase. This happens... If there are 40 something cases of children passing in cars, not all left, its not all that common. Just tragic

I realize in the grand scheme of things that children die from, it's not all that common... but a child dying from vehicular heatstroke every 10 days is still shocking to me personally. And extremely heartbreaking... how do you force people to slow down, at least enough to put your child first when you are behind the wheel? It seems like common sense, but obviously not :(

With the coordinated signature, youtube support video, money donation efforts I'm surprised we haven't seen a vocal attorney trying to spin the case. Maybe he wants to wait until the police or DA play most of their cards. Regarding tot mom you wonder if she had knowledge that tot dad was going to carry this out. What kind of insurance policy payout did they have via Home Depot?

Probably have a hard time prosecuting tot mom unless tot dad ratted her out to make himself look better. She's already lawyered up and not speaking which is smart. But once trial starts I hope it's televised to get more inside info from witnesses.

Fox 5 claims car stunk to high heavens when first responders got there

Yep..........as many us knew had to be the case.............and common sense would indicate, too, IMO, that it wouldn't have been smelling all that fresh at noon either..........less of a smell obviously but there had to have been one.

And this major smell when first responders arrived means that Daddy dearest must have smelled this when getting into car at 4pm.........yet he drives elsewhere and makes like JUST found child deceased?

Wonder if some of the vomit on poor little one was Dad's vomit, from the smell and sight when trying to get him out of the car seat.

6:00 pm Newscast:

-Preliminary COD, appears he died of hypothermia.
-Message from police chief. This has been controversial, people believe father is a victim. The chain of events does not point towards simple negligence. The evidence will point towards more.
-Very early on it was clear serious crime had been committed
-LE sources say they were immediately suspicious
-The timing of the discovery makes them skeptical
-He claims he didn't realize for 1.4 miles
-LE says the smell was overwhelming, clue #1 he wasn't telling the truth. The first of many
-LE source says the search made them more suspicious (How long it takes animal to die)
-No word on motive, currently

That's when I lost my connection. I have no idea if the elaborated further.

That about wraps it up. They went on to say police feel it was more sinister. Ten interviewed whiteness who claims no way was he faking his grief at scene.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - GA - Ongoing probe into toddler's death first blamed on heat, Cobb County, June 2014

"A new warrant was filed Wednesday, changing his charges from first- to second-degree child cruelty. He is also charged with murder. The downgrade from first- to second-degree means investigators no longer belive there was criminal intent. Second-degree cruelty to children charge implies negligence, not criminal intent. "

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/source-cobb-father-new-child-was-left-hot-car/ngR5y/

Actually, the felony murder charge didn't change, only the cruelty charge was downgraded.
http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...ed-for-dad-charged-in-hot-car-death/11349985/

No, the article you quoted does not say second degree murder... the cruelty charge was downgraded from first degree to second... he was never charged with 1st degree murder, he was charged with felony murder. I have not seen where the murder charges have been downgraded... if you have can you provide that link? Everything the police have said in the last hour has led me to believe that they still believe this wasn't an accident.

Technically, there are two charges. One charge for 2nd degree cruelty to children and a second charge for felony murder.

Georgia does not have a 2nd degree murder statute. We have a malice murder/felony murder statute, voluntary manslaughter statute, and involuntary manslaughter statute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni