OPP officer hurt in motorcycle crash after striking goose

Valleyboy

Grumpy Old Man..
Reaction score
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2014/06/26/opp-officer-hurt-in-motorcycle-crash

An OPP officer from the Niagara detachment was been seriously injured in a motorcycle crash after his bike struck an in-flight Canada Goose at the junction of Highway 11 and Highway 400, just north of Barrie, Thursday morning.

The officer, who was identified as Const. Pete Tucker, was hit by a goose in flight, said OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt of the OPP Highway Safety Division.

“It (the goose) was flying and came into his path as he was travelling southbound,” he said.

Schmidt said the goose likely hit the motorcycle's windshield, which was broken off the police bike.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2014/06/26/opp-officer-hurt-in-motorcycle-crash

An OPP officer from the Niagara detachment was been seriously injured in a motorcycle crash after his bike struck an in-flight Canada Goose at the junction of Highway 11 and Highway 400, just north of Barrie, Thursday morning.

The officer, who was identified as Const. Pete Tucker, was hit by a goose in flight, said OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt of the OPP Highway Safety Division.

“It (the goose) was flying and came into his path as he was travelling southbound,” he said.

Schmidt said the goose likely hit the motorcycle's windshield, which was broken off the police bike.

whew

glad to hear it wasn't collision involving the famous WAWA goose!

The officer had to have amputations to both legs
and at present is in a coma.

OMG - am so sorry to hear about the OPP officer....that's awful.....

Motor cycle accidents are usually catastrophic for the motor cyclist, who usually is catapaulted through the air legs over head over legs etc.
Surviving although losing his legs is remarkable...
Being struck by an in-flight goose.....how unlucky.

I have been unable to find any information about the extent of this officer's injuries other than that he has "serious leg injuries". Also nothing about coma or head injury. In fact one article talked about his helmet having protected him.

Can the original poster please post a link to the information about leg amputation(s) and coma? Thanks.

--------------------

Wild turkey encounter:

Several years ago I was a front seat passenger in a car being driven at approximately 60 mph on a major highway. We were in a "country" type of area.

All of a sudden, it seemed like out of nowhere, a HUGE flying bird - and I mean this thing was BIG - flew straight into the passenger side window next to me. It made a huge crashing "thump" sound and I was literally diving for the floor of the car.

We pulled over to the side of the road. There was "blood and guts" on the window and the bird was laying back there kind of flopping around on the road.
I would not even go to look at it, my husband did.

He came back and said "Wild turkey. Good thing your window wasn't open." And we drove away.

I would surely not have wanted to get hit by something that big while on a motorcycle!

I have been unable to find any information about the extent of this officer's injuries other than that he has "serious leg injuries". Also nothing about coma or head injury. In fact one article talked about his helmet having protected him.

Can the original poster please post a link to the information about leg amputation(s) and coma? Thanks.

--------------------

Wild turkey encounter:

Several years ago I was a front seat passenger in a car being driven at approximately 60 mph on a major highway. We were in a "country" type of area.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/opp-offic...d-after-hitting-flying-goose-source-1.1890036

Some of the information I posted was relayed to me by a relative of mine who is a fellow OPP officer and friend of the injured officer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back