IN IN/WI - LARRY DEWAYNE HALL, 1980's-90's

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
by Jessica Hopper
May 17, 2011

Larry DeWayne Hall confessed to Menasha, Wisc. police that he kidnapped and killed Depies in August 1992. Hall is currently serving a life sentence in a North Carolina prison for the kidnapping of an Illinois girl who disappeared a year after Depies.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wisconsin-...-laurie-depies/story?id=13622809#.UF9yllEw-So

May 28, 2011

MILWAUKEE — Larry DeWayne Hall, a convicted kidnapper long suspected in dozens of disappearances, now claims that he abducted 39 women and killed some of his victims before he went to prison in 1994, including Laurie Depies of Appleton.

Hall claimed that he'd met Depies at the mall and asked her out for pizza, but she told him she didn't have time because she was going to a friend's house. Hall said he followed her in his van, and as she parked, he stopped in the street. He called to her and offered to show her a photo album of antique cars. She recognized him and came over, he claimed.

http://www.postcrescent.com/viewart...d-39-women-including-Appleton-s-Laurie-Depies

by Andy Thompson
Jan 28, 2012

TOWN OF MENASHA — Police are working to bring federal prisoner Larry DeWayne Hall to Wisconsin to determine if there is a link between the convicted child kidnapper and the 1992 disappearance of Laurie J. Depies, The Post-Crescent has learned.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article...pies-case-Larry-DeWayne-Hall-return-Wisconsin

July 16, 2012

Authorities remain unable to bring alleged Depies killer back to find body

http://wtaq.com/news/articles/2012/...ring-alleged-depies-killer-back-to-find-body/

Updated: Sunday, 19 Aug 2012, 10:14 PM CDT
Published : Sunday, 19 Aug 2012, 7:39 PM CDT

Depies murder case now two decades old

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/fox_cities/depies-murder-case-now-2-decades-old

CNN LIVE EVENT/SPECIAL

To Catch a Serial Killer
Aired July 4, 2011 - 22:00 ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

BROOKE BALDWIN, CNN ANCHOR (voice-over): Here in the Midwest, several young girls went missing. Some were found murdered. Others were never found at all.

Laurie Depies, 20, in Appleton, Wisconsin; Rayna Rison, 16, from La Porte, Indiana; Wendy Felton, 16 from Marion, Indiana; Michelle Dewey, 20, in Indianapolis, Indiana, all of these cases went unsolved. Officials believed only one man knew what happened.

[...]

GARY HALL, BROTHER OF LARRY HALL: Larry, just like Jimmy Keene calls him, and he is. He's a baby killer.

REPORTER (on camera): You think your brother is a baby killer.

HALL: I don't have no doubt in my mind.

REPORTER: Do you think your brother killed more than Jessica Roach?

HALL: Yes.

REPORTER: Do you think your brother killed Tricia Reitler?

REPORTER: Rayna Rison?

Michelle Dewey?

REPORTER (voice-over): As Gary started talking more openly, detectives approached him, asking for help.

HALL: I went with the Indianapolis detectives down to try to get my brother to confess. He made me leave the room. He did, in fact, confess on tape to 15 serial murders.

REPORTER: Larry later retracted, again. And while he can't ever seem to stick to one story, he does, sometimes, seem to have regrets.

L. HALL: I didn't want to keep living my life the way I was living it. I wanted things to be different, you know, but I guess I didn't really do the right things and change the way my life was going.

http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc 405/serial killers/Hall, Larry DeWayne.pdf

Here is a link to a very detailed timeline of Larry DeWayne Hall. He was from Wabash, IN . He was a Civil War re-enactor, known for his unusual and historically accurate sideburns when he portrayed a Civil War soldier. Identified known victims of his have been found near Civil War battlesites/ historical monument types of places. LE suspects he is responsible for as many as 30-54 victims in the Southern and Midwestern states. Most of his victims' remains have not been located yet.

He cruised college towns all over the Midwest and South looking for victims. Young women tended to disappear from towns in or near where Civil War re-enactments were being held in the 1980's. His youngest supposed victim was 10 years old. Don't get me started on this .:furious::furious:

I firmly believe he is responsible for the disappearance of someone who attended the same school I did, and the above link confirmed my suspicion. There is a physical resemblance between the missing women. Larry Dewayne Hall is serving life in prison with no chance of parole after being convicted of specific murders in Illinois. His attempts at appeals failed. Hall has an identical twin brother. In 1991, a friend of the brothers died. The friend owned a dry-cleaning business in Indiana.

One of the vehicles he was known to drive included a tan van with brown stripes, according to the above link. I created a separate thread for his timeline in the SK forum.

My aunt, Marcie Fuller Swinford, is on this list. I believe Larry and/or others were responsible for her murder. She was believed to have been taken from a grocery store very near to a college campus and a historic site (Ft. Harrison). I've contacted LE about this possible connection but they don't seem to be interested in solving her case. They haven't been from the beginning. In fact, our family was told that the clothes found with her body were laundered by the state crime lab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My aunt, Marcie Fuller Swinford, is on this list. I believe Larry and/or others were responsible for her murder. She was believed to have been taken from a grocery store very near to a college campus and a historic site (Ft. Harrison). I've contacted LE about this possible connection but they don't seem to be interested in solving her case. They haven't been from the beginning. In fact, our family was told that the clothes found with her body were laundered by the state crime lab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't imagine what your family has been through. I'm sorry for your loss. You are an amazing person for keeping her memory and her case alive.

From the little I've read on him (thank you for bringing it to our attention), he hung around some campuses, convenience stores, shopping malls, and grocery stores, etc.

I'm wondering if Hall has been looked at in the Dawn Schnetzer case? (I realize many suspect Avery in her case as well).
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?226155-WI-Dawn-Schnetzer-17-Menasha-15-September-1978

She was found dead in 1978 in Calumet County, WI. She was last seen leaving a Hortonville, WI tavern getting a ride to Menasha. The Laurie Jean Depies case, which he has confessed to, also occurred in Menasha, but in 1992. It looks like his earliest suspected case is in 1981 which isn't that far off.

Also, I have no idea who made this great map of his potential victims but I stumbled upon it and wanted to share it:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=37.928255270564755,-88.10477522236329&z=5

I thought for a moment when reading about Larry DeWayne Hall's traveling for civil war reenactments that he might have had something to do with Jody Huisintruit's abduction, since a reenactment was going on across the river from her apartment. However, then I read that he has been incarcerated since 1994. Jodi was abducted in June of 1995.

Keep in mind it's been said that perhaps Larry's twin brother GH may have paticipated. In fact Larry was interviewed and said he was tired of covering up for his brother. Gary still lives in Indiana. I've considered this link in the Abby and Libby case. MOO of course

I thought for a moment when reading about Larry DeWayne Hall's traveling for civil war reenactments that he might have had something to do with Jody Huisintruit's abduction, since a reenactment was going on across the river from her apartment. However, then I read that he has been incarcerated since 1994. Jodi was abducted in June of 1995.

Keep in mind it's been said that perhaps Larry's twin brother GH may have paticipated. In fact Larry was interviewed and said he was tired of covering up for his brother. Gary still lives in Indiana. I've considered this link in the Abby and Libby case. MOO of course

Thanks for the information. Did the brother travel for civil war reenactments also?

Mods, if this is not ok, please delete.

[video=youtube;k1K6fjFkK4I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1K6fjFkK4I[/video]

Thank you, Tulessa, for posting the video doc. I pray that you are feeling much better these days.

I found LHs notes disturbing. Chills ran down my spine when the note that read Find One Now was shown. The undercover guy sure was brave to undertake the assignment. Much for his own benefit was he determined. I wish he had not confronted LH so the carvings and map would not have been destroyed.

I have been working with the assumption that prison officials were aware when LE placed an uncover agent in their system. Apparently, that is an erroneous assumption since they threw him in the hole for confronting LH.

Hi,

I have been obsessive bout Larry D Hall for about 4 years now. So much so that I have taken my dog out to some areas in Indiana that would be possible locations where he may have buried the victims. Does anyone know if there is record of areas already searched for his victims?

Hi,

I have been obsessive bout Larry D Hall for about 4 years now. So much so that I have taken my dog out to some areas in Indiana that would be possible locations where he may have buried the victims. Does anyone know if there is record of areas already searched for his victims?
I believe Larry mentioned using Lye before recanting the Tricia Reitler confession. DNA has changed how these people work. I think it's interesting that Larry's dad created a fake receipt for Larry's alibi, and his brother also created false alibis for him. Larry's brother can never be linked by DNA, since they have the same DNA. Larry said once that he was sick of covering for his brother. I have wondered if Larry's accomplice could be a suspect in the Jodi Huisentruit abduction. There was a civil war reenactment that weekend in East Park. The Reenactors actually walked through Jodi's parking lot to use the bridge over the river. Molly Bish was abducted exactly 5 years later and the composite sketch resembles Larry's brother. Laurie Depies' case is so similar to the Huisentruit case. I'm thinking it's a long shot, but there are some coincidences. "On the Case - Evil Twin" gives a lot of good info regarding the Halls.

The problem with Larry's confessions is his IQ - which is reportedly below 70. I think that may be a reason they can't actually act on a lot of what he says. I've also seen that rumors of a diary are false - can anyone confirm this? He did have notes in his van - but not a diary per se. While I think it likely his brother is involved - I can't help but think that he would not have been able to stop killing just because Larry got arrested. Surely, he would have done something by now?

One of the worst offenders Ive ever heard of, id have no hesitation saying hes probably responsible for upwards of 45 victims .

I'm from the same hometown as Larry Hall. In fact, he tried to abduct my sister and a friend. There were only around 10k people in Wabash back then and everybody knew everybody. What little I can tell you, from the vantage point of our town, is that there's alot more left to uncover. He goes overlooked but deserves to be mentioned alongside Bundy or Gacy.

As far as having help, many suspect he had someone that was complicit and helped to cover it up in the beginning and that he just continued down that path on his own.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back