Will anyone go to this brave man’s funeral?

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
Plea for mourners to attend UK D-day veteran Sidney Marshall’s service

June 27, 2014

NINETY-year-old Sidney Marshall made an extraordinary sacrifice for his country.

As a UK Royal Air Force (RAF) fighter pilot, he was one of the 156,000 personnel who fought for freedom on D-day.

But Marshall, who died at his home in St Annes, England, on June 16, has few living relatives. And those who are still alive live considerable distances away. Undertakers fear no one will attend his funeral service.

So a local funeral director has made an extraordinary plea to fellow Armed Forces personnel: Come to Mr Marshall’s funeral. Don’t let this brave man be sent off alone

The service will be held on July 4. Here’s hoping Mr Marshall gets the send off he deserves

931204-b97cae58-fd99-11e3-85eb-f305a31fe088.jpg

http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifes...arshalls-service/story-fnixw28g-1226968931497

What a handsome young man!

My uncle went across at D-Day - it was horrific. He rarely talked about it - he came home to my grandparents and his 4 sisters. Only told my Mom about it ( he was closest to her - and felt the other girls were too young). In later years I asked - and he told me that it wasn't for "a lady" to hear. - Though a few years before he died he talked about it to my son and husband.

I pray there are mourners for Mr. Marshall - I'd go myself if I were near enough!

What a handsome young man!

My uncle went across at D-Day - it was horrific. He rarely talked about it - he came home to my grandparents and his 4 sisters. Only told my Mom about it ( he was closest to her - and felt the other girls were too young). In later years I asked - and he told me that it wasn't for "a lady" to hear. - Though a few years before he died he talked about it to my son and husband.

I pray there are mourners for Mr. Marshall - I'd go myself if I were near enough!

There will be, I have seen a few of these pleas in the UK papers and the follow ups and in each case there were more than a couple of hundred people attending, the majority service people

'..attention garnered has already been overwhelming..'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-amid-concerns-noone-will-attend-9567757.html

Mr Marshall is going to get a good turnout. Just you wait and see. There will be a lot of old soldiers turning out with their medals gleaming. And I am also keeping my ears open for any missing alerts from the Normandy vet who ran away from his care home to attend the memorials in France.....I wouldn't put it past that lovely old chap to decide to attend...

How wonderful that the funeral directors would put the request out so people can know their attendance is wanted.

God bless and God speed Sidney Marshall, fly high and free now, this will be a great send off, I am certain!

It looks like the situation with Sidney's funeral is a bit more complex than it appeared at first.....

http://www.pprune.org/military-airc...l-ex-bomber-command-mid-upper-gunner-rip.html

----------
Hi, I am so happy to hear he will have proper burial. While Sidney was fighting 'em in Normandy, in Italy American and British troops were waiting to hit Southern France, came in around Cannes area. They surprised the Krauts who did not expect another invasion so soon. They took Southern France! My Dad came home in 1948. KIA 1944, Grandvillers France. He is buried at home where he belongs. Military funerals are so heart wrenching. Thanks to all who arranged this for Sidney..:seeya:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dallasstar1968
Back