1306 users online (282 members and 1024 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

GA - The death of Frederick Williams taser-related?

I don't know how many of you may have seen the story on the CBS News the other night which was, ostensibly, about taser deaths. But the appalling footage of the death of Frederick Williams while in the custody of the police in Lawrenceville, GA just absolutely blew my mind! I am posting a link to a news story-I hope everyone will search out further stories. AND I hope to raise enough ire and outrage that everyone who familiraizes themselves with this case wil contact the FBI and requst a formal investigation on the basis of possible federal civil rights violations by the police dept involved. I warn you-if you see the footage-it is very gruesome!

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/4580692/detail.html

I am not posting a lot of detail because I would like folks to examine the evidence and make their own conclusions!

Bring Maura home!

curious1 is offline So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm afraid i'm not good for you!
    On the night of his arrest, police were called to Williams' home in Lawrenceville beOn the night of his arrest, police were called to Williams' home in Lawrenceville because of a domestic dispute. Williams, who fought with police before his arrest, was charged with simple battery, obstruction and removing a baton from a police officer, police said.

At the jail, Williams again started to fight with deputies and was shocked five times with the Taser stun gun and then placed in a restraint chair, according to the Sheriff's Department. He lost consciousness and was rushed to Gwinnett Medical Center, where he died two days later.

The above comes from the article. It sounds like he was really combative with the officers even removing a baton from a policer officer at one point. He sounded dangerous. What should the officers have done? They are put in difficult situations every day. They start using Pepper Spray instead of bullets or a baton to subdue combative people and some are allergic and die so they are criticized. They use rubber bullets instad of real bullets and people are bruised or have ribs broken and they are criticized. They use tasers or stun guns instead of bullets or baton and some people die and they are criticized. Our LE is running out of options people. They can either subdue them with alternatives to guns or batons, or use the guns and batons or let these people just beat the hell out of them and then get free. As an officer what would you do? I understand that some officers do stupid things, but we are just so quick to attack our boys in blue. If we tie their hands too much who will be there to help us when we need it?

Quote Originally Posted by curious1
    On the night of his arrest, police were called to Williams' home in Lawrenceville beOn the night of his arrest, police were called to Williams' home in Lawrenceville because of a domestic dispute. Williams, who fought with police before his arrest, was charged with simple battery, obstruction and removing a baton from a police officer, police said.

At the jail, Williams again started to fight with deputies and was shocked five times with the Taser stun gun and then placed in a restraint chair, according to the Sheriff's Department. He lost consciousness and was rushed to Gwinnett Medical Center, where he died two days later.

The above comes from the article. It sounds like he ally combative with the officers even removing a baton from a policer officer at one point. He sounded dangerous. What should the officers have done? They are put in difficult situations every day. They start using Pepper Spray instead of bullets or a baton to subdue combative people and some are allergic and die so they are criticized. They use rubber bullets instad of real bullets and people are bruised or have ribs broken and they are criticized. They use tasers or stun guns instead of bullets or baton and some people die and they are criticized. Our LE is running out of options people. They can either subdue them with alternatives to guns or batons, or use the guns and batons or let these people just beat the hell out of them and then get free. As an officer what would you do? I understand that some officers do stupid things, but we are just so quick to attack our boys in blue. If we tie their hands too much who will be there to help us when we need it?
    Well said!

When someone dies from being tazered, its usually because they're in poor health, on drugs, etc. I think its an acceptable risk. We cannot tie the hands of our law enforcement officers or force them to use even MORE deadly force when being confronted by an out of control person as in this case.

GA - Frederick Williams, dies after tasering at Gwinnett County jail, May 2004

"I can't breathe, man. Don't kill me man, Don't kill me."
    "In Gwinnett County, Georgia, an un-edited police videotape shows 31-year-old Deacon Frederick Williams being struck with a TASER five times in 43 seconds, just 4 minutes after being led into the jail.

He was handcuffed behind his back and in leg restraints, following an epileptic seizure at his home; an ambulance was called by his wife and son, but the police arrived first. His last words were: "Don't kill me, man. Don't kill me."

No charges have been filed in the torture / murder; the County DA refused to show this video to a Grand Jury, even though another man in custody was murdered just months earlier after being tortured with a TASER by the same police."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...07186772642906

Does anyone see this as other than murder?
    It's not what a man knows that makes him a fool, it's what he does know that ain't so. .... Josh Billings

I hate tazers................

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    I hate tazers................
    I hate them too...I don't think they should be used at all..

What in the world is going on? I just got done watching a clip on the news showing a 15 year old girl getting tasered and punched in the face by the Police officer. She was also begging...I can't say what she did to cause this because I missed that part of the clip but what I did see made me feel sick.

wait? so he was arrested for having an epileptic seizure? What on earth? There must be more - do we have any additional details?

Those officers are a disgrace.
    ~~Childhood Cancer is a Crime~~

There was the lady a few weeks ago that was tazed repeatedly. She has pants with burnholes in them and her vision was affected to the point she couldn't drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirlsadie View Post
    What in the world is going on? I just got done watching a clip on the news showing a 15 year old girl getting tasered and punched in the face by the Police officer. She was also begging...I can't say what she did to cause this because I missed that part of the clip but what I did see made me feel sick.

Unlike the story you reference, this story is years old, but I never saw the murder video until just this morning, which is beyond belief.
    It's not what a man knows that makes him a fool, it's what he does know that ain't so. .... Josh Billings

do we know what happened that caused the police to bring him in in the first place? It says she called an ambulance after a seizure but the police arrived first.

I have an epileptic son. In his postictal period following the actual seizing , he is extremely argumentative and agitated. I can tell you with 100% certainty that if the police tried to restrain him like this following a seizure it would be nearly impossible. He just need to be left alone for about 20 minutes until this phase ends and then he will sleep.

In my son's case, if the police tried to talk to him post seizure he would not be cooperative. he has sworn at me and told me to f-off. He has no memory of any of this behavior once his episodes are over. This is quite common.

This video is my biggest fear. I am afraid his post ictal belligerence is going to be mistaken for something else and there will be an attempt to restrain him. I can see what happened in this video happening to my son.
    It scares me to death and I also see this as murder.

Im sure as officers they are used to people pretending to calm down or passout only to try and take over the officers however...they should also know when a man is truly unresponsive!
    How many times did they have to check his heart to tell if it was beating or not? what idiots! then when they realized there was no heartbeat they didnt even immediatley start cpr...and then they were going to use the paddles on him after they had already used the taser on him? geesh this one made me mad!
    If he had an epilepic seizure why did the police take him anyways? the ambulance was called for a medical purpose...
    I hope his family sued the heck out of them!

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    do we know what happened that caused the police to bring him in in the first place? It says she called an ambulance after a seizure but the police arrived first.

I have an epileptic son. In his postictal period following the actual seizing , he is extremely argumentative and agitated. I can tell you with 100% certainty that if the police tried to restrain him like this following a seizure it would be nearly impossible. He just need to be left alone for about 20 minutes until this phase ends and then he will sleep.

In my son's case, if the police tried to talk to him post seizure he would not be cooperative. he has sworn at me and told me to f-off. He has no memory of any of this behavior once his episodes are over. This is quite common.

This video is my biggest fear. I am afraid his post ictal belligerence is going to be mistaken for something else and there will be an attempt to restrain him. I can see what happened in this video happening to my son.
    It scares me to death and I also see this as murder.

Hi JBean. He was a longtime epileptic.

It's hard to imagine the Grand Jury not being shown this video. This is just more "Nifonging". However. this time the D.A's intent was to save the police from an obvious (IMO) murder trial, and he was successful in his cover-up. This is just incredible.

Clearly, your concerns are well founded.

Quote Originally Posted by wildTrose View Post
    Im sure as officers they are used to people pretending to calm down or passout only to try and take over the officers however...they should also know when a man is truly unresponsive!
    How many times did they have to check his heart to tell if it was beating or not? what idiots! then when they realized there was no heartbeat they didnt even immediatley start cpr...and then they were going to use the paddles on him after they had already used the taser on him? geesh this one made me mad!
    If he had an epilepic seizure why did the police take him anyways? the ambulance was called for a medical purpose...
    I hope his family sued the heck out of them!

Ok, ready? Sit down.

The Gwinett county Medical Examiner said that the five shocks from the taser was not the proximate cause of his death.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast