GA - The death of Frederick Williams taser-related?

gatetrekker44

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you may have seen the story on the CBS News the other night which was, ostensibly, about taser deaths. But the appalling footage of the death of Frederick Williams while in the custody of the police in Lawrenceville, GA just absolutely blew my mind! I am posting a link to a news story-I hope everyone will search out further stories. AND I hope to raise enough ire and outrage that everyone who familiraizes themselves with this case wil contact the FBI and requst a formal investigation on the basis of possible federal civil rights violations by the police dept involved. I warn you-if you see the footage-it is very gruesome!

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/4580692/detail.html

I am not posting a lot of detail because I would like folks to examine the evidence and make their own conclusions!

Bring Maura home!

On the night of his arrest, police were called to Williams' home in Lawrenceville beOn the night of his arrest, police were called to Williams' home in Lawrenceville because of a domestic dispute. Williams, who fought with police before his arrest, was charged with simple battery, obstruction and removing a baton from a police officer, police said.

At the jail, Williams again started to fight with deputies and was shocked five times with the Taser stun gun and then placed in a restraint chair, according to the Sheriff's Department. He lost consciousness and was rushed to Gwinnett Medical Center, where he died two days later.

The above comes from the article. It sounds like he was really combative with the officers even removing a baton from a policer officer at one point. He sounded dangerous. What should the officers have done? They are put in difficult situations every day. They start using Pepper Spray instead of bullets or a baton to subdue combative people and some are allergic and die so they are criticized. They use rubber bullets instad of real bullets and people are bruised or have ribs broken and they are criticized. They use tasers or stun guns instead of bullets or baton and some people die and they are criticized. Our LE is running out of options people. They can either subdue them with alternatives to guns or batons, or use the guns and batons or let these people just beat the hell out of them and then get free. As an officer what would you do? I understand that some officers do stupid things, but we are just so quick to attack our boys in blue. If we tie their hands too much who will be there to help us when we need it?

curious1 said:
On the night of his arrest, police were called to Williams' home in Lawrenceville beOn the night of his arrest, police were called to Williams' home in Lawrenceville because of a domestic dispute. Williams, who fought with police before his arrest, was charged with simple battery, obstruction and removing a baton from a police officer, police said.

At the jail, Williams again started to fight with deputies and was shocked five times with the Taser stun gun and then placed in a restraint chair, according to the Sheriff's Department. He lost consciousness and was rushed to Gwinnett Medical Center, where he died two days later.

The above comes from the article. It sounds like he ally combative with the officers even removing a baton from a policer officer at one point. He sounded dangerous. What should the officers have done? They are put in difficult situations every day. They start using Pepper Spray instead of bullets or a baton to subdue combative people and some are allergic and die so they are criticized. They use rubber bullets instad of real bullets and people are bruised or have ribs broken and they are criticized. They use tasers or stun guns instead of bullets or baton and some people die and they are criticized. Our LE is running out of options people. They can either subdue them with alternatives to guns or batons, or use the guns and batons or let these people just beat the hell out of them and then get free. As an officer what would you do? I understand that some officers do stupid things, but we are just so quick to attack our boys in blue. If we tie their hands too much who will be there to help us when we need it?
:clap: :clap: Well said!

When someone dies from being tazered, its usually because they're in poor health, on drugs, etc. I think its an acceptable risk. We cannot tie the hands of our law enforcement officers or force them to use even MORE deadly force when being confronted by an out of control person as in this case.

"I can't breathe, man. Don't kill me man, Don't kill me."
"In Gwinnett County, Georgia, an un-edited police videotape shows 31-year-old Deacon Frederick Williams being struck with a TASER five times in 43 seconds, just 4 minutes after being led into the jail.

He was handcuffed behind his back and in leg restraints, following an epileptic seizure at his home; an ambulance was called by his wife and son, but the police arrived first. His last words were: "Don't kill me, man. Don't kill me."

No charges have been filed in the torture / murder; the County DA refused to show this video to a Grand Jury, even though another man in custody was murdered just months earlier after being tortured with a TASER by the same police."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1964707186772642906

Does anyone see this as other than murder?

What in the world is going on? I just got done watching a clip on the news showing a 15 year old girl getting tasered and punched in the face by the Police officer. She was also begging...I can't say what she did to cause this because I missed that part of the clip but what I did see made me feel sick.

wait? so he was arrested for having an epileptic seizure? What on earth? There must be more - do we have any additional details?

Those officers are a disgrace.

There was the lady a few weeks ago that was tazed repeatedly. She has pants with burnholes in them and her vision was affected to the point she couldn't drive.

What in the world is going on? I just got done watching a clip on the news showing a 15 year old girl getting tasered and punched in the face by the Police officer. She was also begging...I can't say what she did to cause this because I missed that part of the clip but what I did see made me feel sick.

Unlike the story you reference, this story is years old, but I never saw the murder video until just this morning, which is beyond belief.

do we know what happened that caused the police to bring him in in the first place? It says she called an ambulance after a seizure but the police arrived first.

I have an epileptic son. In his postictal period following the actual seizing , he is extremely argumentative and agitated. I can tell you with 100% certainty that if the police tried to restrain him like this following a seizure it would be nearly impossible. He just need to be left alone for about 20 minutes until this phase ends and then he will sleep.

In my son's case, if the police tried to talk to him post seizure he would not be cooperative. he has sworn at me and told me to f-off. He has no memory of any of this behavior once his episodes are over. This is quite common.

This video is my biggest fear. I am afraid his post ictal belligerence is going to be mistaken for something else and there will be an attempt to restrain him. I can see what happened in this video happening to my son.
It scares me to death and I also see this as murder.

Im sure as officers they are used to people pretending to calm down or passout only to try and take over the officers however...they should also know when a man is truly unresponsive!
How many times did they have to check his heart to tell if it was beating or not? what idiots! then when they realized there was no heartbeat they didnt even immediatley start cpr...and then they were going to use the paddles on him after they had already used the taser on him? geesh this one made me mad!
If he had an epilepic seizure why did the police take him anyways? the ambulance was called for a medical purpose...
I hope his family sued the heck out of them!

do we know what happened that caused the police to bring him in in the first place? It says she called an ambulance after a seizure but the police arrived first.

I have an epileptic son. In his postictal period following the actual seizing , he is extremely argumentative and agitated. I can tell you with 100% certainty that if the police tried to restrain him like this following a seizure it would be nearly impossible. He just need to be left alone for about 20 minutes until this phase ends and then he will sleep.

In my son's case, if the police tried to talk to him post seizure he would not be cooperative. he has sworn at me and told me to f-off. He has no memory of any of this behavior once his episodes are over. This is quite common.

This video is my biggest fear. I am afraid his post ictal belligerence is going to be mistaken for something else and there will be an attempt to restrain him. I can see what happened in this video happening to my son.
It scares me to death and I also see this as murder.

Hi JBean. He was a longtime epileptic.

It's hard to imagine the Grand Jury not being shown this video. This is just more "Nifonging". However. this time the D.A's intent was to save the police from an obvious (IMO) murder trial, and he was successful in his cover-up. This is just incredible.

Clearly, your concerns are well founded.

Im sure as officers they are used to people pretending to calm down or passout only to try and take over the officers however...they should also know when a man is truly unresponsive!
How many times did they have to check his heart to tell if it was beating or not? what idiots! then when they realized there was no heartbeat they didnt even immediatley start cpr...and then they were going to use the paddles on him after they had already used the taser on him? geesh this one made me mad!
If he had an epilepic seizure why did the police take him anyways? the ambulance was called for a medical purpose...
I hope his family sued the heck out of them!

Ok, ready? Sit down.

The Gwinett county Medical Examiner said that the five shocks from the taser was not the proximate cause of his death.

Apparently she punched and kicked the officer prior to his activating the audio and going in front of the video camera, then she *BIT* the officer's hand. People at another message board point out that this gives a very real risk of nasty, life threatening infection, as well as diseases like HIV etc. (Human bites are worse than cat or dog bites by far.)

What is the story on why the police were arresting the guy having the seizure, anyway?! :waitasec: :confused: :eek:

Hi JBean, He was a longtime epileptic.

It's hard to imagine that the Grand Jury not being shown this video. This is just more "Nifonging". However. this time the D.A's intent was to save the police from an obvious (IMO) murder trial, and he was successful in his cover-up. This is just incredible.

Clearly, your concerns are well founded.
Hi Wudge, hope you are well.
I was afraid you were going to say that he was an epileptic. My son wears a necklace to identified as such, but who knows how well our LE is trained to handle this? I think they will taser first ask questions later.
This is positively frightening.

link

Tasers Implicated in Excited Delirium Deaths

Williams stopped breathing shortly after being stunned with a Taser; he died a few hours later. His family is suing the county and Taser International; the company has made it clear that it plans to argue Williams died of excited delirium.

Mr. Williams had no drugs in his system. None. So this is in the article;

Medical Condition or Legal Cover?
Civil-liberties groups fear that the diagnosis is being used to cover up police abuse — and to protect companies like Taser International from lawsuits.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

link

From the link;

“Fred was my sister’s son. Since birth, he had this disease – epilepsy. Prior to the incident, he had not taken his medicine. I know how he would get right before an attack – very strong. On several occasions, he would hurt himself from falling on his back or face. One time he almost broke my hand when I was trying to wrestle him down, but he was not a mad man.
“He was practically beaten to death at his home before he got to the jail,” Railey continued. “His wife had called 911 and asked for paramedics to be sent over to the house. She called to get him stabilized. Instead, they sent a police officer. His wife didn’t understand why they sent the police instead of medics. Then his nine year old son called again, asking them to, ‘Send the truck with the medicine,’ which I think he was referring to an ambulance.
“When the police officer showed up, he remarked, ‘I’ve got this,’ even though the wife kept telling him that he could not handle Fred without the help of medics. At that point, the policeman took his stick or baton and tried to hit my nephew. The hits were blocked, and then my nephew took the stick away from the policeman and hit him in the nose. At that point, the policeman issued an “officer down code” and 15 squad cars with some 20 officers arrived,” Railey said. “He was badly beaten and near death before he reached the jail.”

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23