1234 users online (220 members and 1014 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

CA - Mike Herdman, 36, Tar Creek, 15 June 2014 - #3

Mike Herdman

Off-Duty Arcadia Firefighter Goes Missing While Camping Near Fillmore

Mike Herdman, 34, was hiking with a friend to the popular trail to Tar Creek when he chased after his dog, according to Capt. Mike Franke of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office. The trail is off a dirt road in the Topatopa Mountains, north of the small city of Fillmore (map). It was not clear where exactly Herdman had been when he ran after his dog.
    Read more: http://ktla.com/2014/06/16/off-duty-...#ixzz34rXSYCFK

Thread 1

Thread 2

Scanner Thread

Media/Resource Thread
    Last edited by KateB; 04-27-2015 at 05:52 PM. Reason: repair url tags.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Quote Originally Posted by Elainera View Post
    It leads to the AFFA timeline. Did you link to a photo directly? Was it removed?
    I think the intent might have been to link to these tribute photos (or the condolence messages, etc.):

Link to album posted on AFFA via Mike's fb:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5414837&type=1

CA - Mike Herdman (Firefighter), 34, Tar Creek, Ventura Co., 15 June 2014, #3

Please continue here.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...627-story.html

RIP Mike.

Salem

Carrying over from previous thread:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the original story/stories can make sense other than a few reporting discrepancies. I'm just not seeing the whole 'hinky' factor that some seem to see. I feel like it's an accident caused by a whole lot of messed up "shoulda, coulda, woulda" factors plus probably adrenaline.

I mentioned it before but I feel like this should have been a hiking trip followed by some crazy "you'll never believe THIS!" stories shared at the firehouse and future camping trips. I don't think anything nefarious happened to change that, I just think it changed due to mistakes, missteps, maybe adrenaline. Hopefully we'll know some day. I wish knowing could bring Mike back for a "do-over," that's for sure.

Here.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsobrien View Post
    Here.
    Roll call, mrsobrien??
    Richard Castle " There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people: psychopaths and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

Very sadly, Mike was found just before his birthday, which is tomorrow June 29th. Does anyone know for certain how old he was? Would he have turned age 35 or age 37 tomorrow? I know it seems irrelevant now, but I would like for all of us to know what his correct age was. Thank you in advance.

Most Sincerely, MoeJoey

Yeah, marking my spot. Was typing and walking at the same time, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumeria5 View Post
    Roll call, mrsobrien??

Quote Originally Posted by MoeJoey View Post
    Very sadly, Mike was found just before his birthday, which is tomorrow June 29th. Does anyone know for certain how old he was? Would he have turned age 35 or age 37 tomorrow? I know it seems irrelevant now, but I would like for all of us to know what his correct age was. Thank you in advance.

Most Sincerely, MoeJoey
    He would have turned 37 tomorrow, MJ. RIP Mike Herdman

Quote Originally Posted by nikb View Post
    Carrying over from previous thread:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the original story/stories can make sense other than a few reporting discrepancies. I'm just not seeing the whole 'hinky' factor that some seem to see. I feel like it's an accident caused by a whole lot of messed up "shoulda, coulda, woulda" factors plus probably adrenaline.

I mentioned it before but I feel like this should have been a hiking trip followed by some crazy "you'll never believe THIS!" stories shared at the firehouse and future camping trips. I don't think anything nefarious happened to change that, I just think it changed due to mistakes, missteps, maybe adrenaline. Hopefully we'll know some day. I wish knowing could bring Mike back for a "do-over," that's for sure.

I have stated that the whole story seems hinky, though I could totally see my opinion changing if more facts were released & there weren't so many discrepancies in the media.

The general vicinity Mike was located appears to be at these coordinates:

3431'52.92" N 11857'20.96" W

If you zoom all the way in on Google Earth and look around, you should see the same viewpoint as shown during the press conference. Also, the topo maps show the cliff in that area to be about 150-200 feet.

**Ghostwheel, I wasn't able to quote your post since the last thread is now locked, but it looks like you've got same area that was shown in the pics. Maybe you can link the pics you created into this thread? You had some good information added. I did notice the cliff up higher appears to be closer to 500 foot.
    Last edited by Aeronomy; 06-28-2014 at 06:19 AM.
    I think I think too much.

alreetlike is offline All human wisdom is summed up in these two words -- wait and hope
    A sad outcome, though not unexpected. I don't really expect the autopsy to throw up anything out of the ordinary though. I think this was just what it seemed to be - a tragic accident.

RIP Mike. I wish peace of mind to the family and friends of Mike, as well.

Born and raised in Texas, 25 years in Arizona
    They just showed a view from a helicopter on Fox News. Looks as if he just walked off the side of a cliff in the dark and fell (what looks like) about 70 or 80 feet straight down into a crevice below. It is hard to tell if that is just old footage they are using or if it was actual footage.

Fox hasn't posted the video I watched to their website yet.

Here's a link to a local story about it.

http://abc7.com/news/missing-firefig...-found/145420/
    Last edited by steelman; 06-28-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Born and raised in Texas, 25 years in Arizona
    Now that they know his location, maybe they can retrace his steps and figure out why he might have gone to such a high elevation in the dark. Finding him just seems to deepen the mystery, not clarify it.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast