FL FL - Mabel Andrews, 16, Orlando, 16 Jan 1976

Fuuro

spicy user
Reaction score
Hi Websleuths, long time no see. I was reading the updates on charley recently and came across the case of a young woman named Mabel Louise Andrews who was 16 when she disappeared from Orlando, FL. I live in Florida and I truly believe that this case was related to the disappearance of Nancy Grace Daniel, who disappeared in 1976 and was found deceased 6 months later. They were both African American teens who were around the same height and weight and they both disappeared from Florida within months of each other. There was another set of remains found alongside Nancy's and I think that the girl might be Mabel.

Mabel's CP is here: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/andrews_mabel.html

DoeNet:

The Doe Network:
Case File 727UFFL

1 2
Jewelry

Unidentified Black Female

The victim was discovered on January 21, 1977 at Lake Mann, Orange County, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: 4-5 Months prior.
Partial Skeleton

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 11-20 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6" ; 120 lbs.
Clothing: Found near the body were a pair of blue jean-like pants, size 5/6, no brand name indicated, but a label reading "wash in warm water" was present; a yellow and brown earth-toned, size 32, blouse with a beach scene, flowers, and pictures of people printed on the front, the 3rd button was missing; pastel colored underwear with a floral pattern; a bra and a left blue sandal.
Jewelry: A silver bracelet with a blue stone was found in the water near the body.
Skeletal Findings: Decedent appears to have had lower nose asymmetry in which the right side is higher than the left. There was an oval defect present on the left ankle, 11x8mm in size and 1.5mm deep, possibly from healed trauma with infection.
Fingerprints: Not available
Dentals: Available, #17 not yet erupted.
DNA: Available in CODIS.

Case History
The victim was located on the south west shore of Lake Mann, FL on January 21, 1977.
An Orange County worker and his crew discovered a body near the southwest shore of Lake Mann in a small amount of water surrounded by high weeds near Florence Avenue and Lennox Boulevard.

Here is a comparison of Mabel and 727UFFL (the composite kind of dwarfs Mabel's picture):

article-2675070-1F4623D600000578-47_634x776.jpg
andrews_mabel.jpg

The estimated date of death is slightly off, but I think this lead is very promising. What do you think?

Hi. Long time lurker here but this thread just made me want to post. There have been many times I have looked at posts on Websleuths that show a person being compared to a sketch and I just can not see the resemblance but when I saw your post I was shocked. The composite, imo, looks so much like Mabel! Her lips, the tip of her nose and her eyes look so much like the sketch! Good eye, Fuuro. Is there anyone handling her case who could possibly be contacted about your find?

Here is a link to the thread on the Unidentified forum about the two girls (one of whom was recently identified as Nancy Daniels).

I found the potential match on June 29th, the day it was posted to CharleyProject. I had to triple- or quadruple-check everything because it looked so ... perfect, especially since Nancy was identified less than a week before the profile was posted.

I called the NCMEC and the Orlando ME/C office the next day (June 30) with the information. I spoke to Ashley Shaughnessy, who was listed as the contact for the UP, and she said she's definitely going to pursue this further and that she'll get Mabel's DNA sample to compare against the UP. I didn't get the sense that a comparison had ever been done before.

I'm going to call tomorrow morning or afternoon to follow up and see how things are going. Usually I wait a week before following up, but I feel this is a very strong potential match and I don't want it to be forgotten.

I appreciate the warm welcome! I love reading everyone's theories but never felt the urge to "speak" before. LOL I enjoy the Websleuths community because so may people come together with differing opinions and work together to try and solve these tragic cases. A lot of great minds here! :seeya:

Did you ever hear back about the UID?

Also, how accurate is that date of disappearance? I was reading this appeal and assuming it is most likely the same Mabel; the date listed is December 24, 1974.

http://www.5dca.org/Opinions/Opin2014/110314/5D14-441.op.pdf

Here, Appellant filed a petition, explaining that his sister has been missing since December 24, 1974. Appellant advised the court that his sister left their home in Orlando to go to the neighborhood park, but that she never returned. Their parents filed a missing person’s report with the Orlando Police Department. There was no indication that his sister would have run away from home and there is no record of her whereabouts. Due to the length of time that Mable Louise Andrews has been missing, there exists a presumption that she is deceased.

I came across this after sending in an e-mail to San Bernardino Corners Office. I was also struck with the similarities between Mabel and the California UID. I got an e-mail back that didn't make any mention that they'd considered the possibility. I am curious if you ever happened to send in an e-mail to either California or Florida officials regarding this case - and if you did, what was the response.

Oddly, the details for her disappearance are identical to the appeal posted earlier but the date is different.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/andrews_mabel.html

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: January 16, 1976 from Orlando, Orange County, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 115 lbs.
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Race: Black
Distinguishing Characteristics: Pinky toe on unknown foot wrapped
over top of adjacent toe.
AKA: Mable
Case Number: 2014-240932

Details of Disappearance
Mabel was last seen in the Orlando, Florida area. She left her home in Orlando to go to the neighborhood park, but never returned. Her parents filed a missing person’s report with the Orlando Police Department. There was no indication that Mabel would have run away from home and there is no record of her whereabouts.

I've sent repeated e-mails to both San Bernardino Coroners Office and to Orlando PD along with the folks at NamUs. Other than one e-mail that kind of implied that this possibility had NOT been considered, i've yet to receive a response. I am curious to know if they are running DNA comparisons.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washingtonsupersleuth
Back