PA PA - Robert Keck, 16, Coopersburg, 30 June 1979

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
6-30-14-Robert-Keck-yearbook---age-progressed-jpg_zpsa82584cb.jpg

http://www.theintell.com/news/local/da-missing-teen-s-case-open-new-lead-fruitless/article_9db7251d-bb76-51b5-b9cc-25aaa9d84a97.html

An investigation into the disappearance of a Coopersburg teen hasn't stopped 35 years to the day he went missing, Lehigh County District Attorney James Martin said.

Robert Keck, a student at Southern Lehigh High School, was last seen June 30, 1979. He was 16. Martin used the anniversary of the boy's disappearance to once again ask for the public's help in providing "any information" and to alert the public that a lead authorities had investigated in May was "fruitless"...

News reports several weeks ago indicated that law enforcement authorities were conducting an investigation in Pike Township, Berks County, Martin's statement said.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-keck-coopersburg-investigation-20140630,0,6850349.story

Keck, a student at Southern Lehigh High School, vanished on a Saturday afternoon after walking away from his parent's home around 1 p.m. He told his parents that he was going to visit his girlfriend, who lived about 2 miles away. He was not carrying any money.

Friends and family members told police in 1979 that Keck had no reason to run away from home. He had a good relationship with his parents, plenty of friends, and was an average student...

Keck was 5-feet, 6-inches tall and weighed between 140 and 150 pounds. He had blond hair and was wearing a T-shirt and cutoff jeans when he disappeared.

Doe Network: http://doenetwork.org/cases/60dmpa.html

Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/keck_robert.html

NCMEC: http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/601783

Robert Keck

Missing since June 30, 1979 from Coopersburg, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania.
Classification: Non Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: April 18, 1963
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7; 140 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blond hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Keck has a mole on the right side of his face.
Clothing: Keck was wearing a blue shirt; tan shoes; and a silver chain with a white cross.
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Keck was last seen walking down Coopersburg Road toward the town of Coopersburg, at 13:00 that day. Keck planned to visit his girlfriend's house, which was located approximately two miles from his home. He never arrived as expected and has not been heard from again. Keck never arrived.

Keck was not carrying any money at the time of his disappearance. He did not have a history as a runaway and nothing was amiss in his life at the time to lead investigators to suspect he left of his own accord.

Keck told his mother before he left their home that he expected to find a ride with someone later in the day. His family members told authorities that Keck often received car rides from friends or walked to his destinations, as he was not a licensed driver at the time he vanished; he did not even have a learner's permit.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Upper Saucon Township Police Department
Missing Persons
610-282-3064

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number: 791565

NCMEC #: NCMC601783

NCIC Number: M-360438743

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children

The Doe Network: Case File 60DMPA

$

Robert Keck — Robert walked away from his parents' Coopersburg home on the afternoon of June 30, 1979 headed toward a girlfriend's home nearby. He was never seen again. Upper Saucon police, Lehigh detectives and the FBI have searched a wooded area of Pleasantville, Berks County, three times in just over a year looking for his remains. The owner of the 72-acre Pleasantville property has said a woman came forward claiming she and another then-teenager were involved in Keck's disappearance nearly four decades ago. Keck's remains have not been found and no one has been charged in connection with his disappearance. Anyone with information is asked to call Upper Saucon police at 610-282-3064.

http://www.mcall.com/news/police/mc-missing-childrens-day-lehigh-valley-20170525-story.html

Robert Keck

images

Missing Age: 16
Sex: Male
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 140-150 lbs
Race/Ethnicity: White/Caucasian
Missing City: Coopersburg
Missing State: Pennsylvania
Last Seen Wearing: A blue shirt with 'beach bum' written on it, tan crepe soled shoes, silver chain with white cross.
NCMEC Number: 601783

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Robert Keck was last seen walking down Coopersburg Road towards the town of Coopersburg, at 1:00 p.m. that day. He planned to visit his girlfriend's house, which was located approximately two miles from his home. He never arrived as expected and has not been heard from again. Robert was not carrying any money at the time of his disappearance. He did not have a history as a runaway and nothing was amiss in his life at the time to lead investigators to suspect he left of his own accord. Robert told his mother before he left their home that he expected to find a ride with someone later in the day. His family members told authorities that Keck often received car rides from friends or walked to his destinations, as he was not a licensed driver at the time he vanished; he did not even have a learner's permit.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Robert Keck – The Charley Project

Possible Match:
Unidentified individual dressed in women's attire found stabbed, strangled, and beaten on November 26, 1983.
The similarities include eye colour, approximate age, weight, ethnicity, body discovered within four years of Robert Keck's disappearance. The height discrepancy could be due to the young age of disappearance-- it's entirely possible he would continue to grow. The hair colour for Robert Keck is listed as blond and for the unidentified person it is listed as brown. Both were wearing a silver/white cross chain upon their disappearance/discovery.
773UMCA
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Last edited:
The owner of the 72-acre Pleasantville property has said a woman came forward claiming she and another then-teenager were involved in Keck's disappearance nearly four decades ago. Keck's remains have not been found and no one has been charged

Quote RSBM / Bumping case up.

This seems like a real lead, but I assume no evidence was ever found?
How absolutely tragic this case is. His poor family. :(

Pennsylvania Cold Case: What Happened to Robert Keck?
Police believe he was killed but his body has never been found.
Jul 2, 2021

Robert Keck was in a great mood when he left his Upper Saucon Township, Pennsylvania house around 1:00 pm on June 30, 1979. It was a pleasantly warm Saturday afternoon, and the 16-year-old had plans to spend some time with his girlfriend. She lived about two miles away in Coopersburg, Pennsylvania; since Robert didn’t have a driver’s license yet, he would normally walk the two miles or get a ride from one of his friends.

On this afternoon, Robert told his mother that he was meeting up with a friend who was going to give him a ride and promised to be home later that evening. Karen Keck told her son to have fun, then watched as he walked out the front door of their Main Street home. She had no idea that she would never see him again.

When Robert didn’t return home that night, his parents were immediately concerned. He wasn’t the type of teenager who tended to stay out late, and he always kept in constant contact with his parents. Karen called his girlfriend’s house to see if he was still there; she was startled to learn that Robert hadn’t been there at all that day.

When Robert left the house that afternoon, he had told his mother that he was going to meet up with someone who was going to drive him to his girlfriend’s house, but he had neglected to mention this person’s name. Karen called all of her son’s friends, but none of them had seen him that day, and no one knew who Robert might have been expecting to give him a ride.

Karen immediately called the Upper Saucon Township Police Department and reported her son missing. Although police did issue a missing person bulletin to all police departments in Pennsylvania and several surrounding states, they believed that the teenager had likely run away from home and did little to actually locate him.

Robert’s family knew that he wouldn’t have voluntarily disappeared; he was very close with his family and had no reason to want to leave home. He was known for being rather timid; one of his hobbies was trapping muskrats in nearby wooded areas, but he refused to check his traps alone in the winter months when it got dark early. He didn’t like to be outside by himself once the sun went down.

All of Robert’s belongings were still inside his room, including a small amount of cash that he had saved. He had left home wearing only a T-shirt and a pair of cut-off shorts; he normally would have taken a sweatshirt or jacket with him if he planned on being out after dark. With no money and no extra clothing, it seemed clear that Robert had every intention of returning home after he visited with his girlfriend.

Police interviewed many of the residents who lived on the route Robert would have taken to get from his house to the home of his girlfriend, and they were unable to find any witnesses who had seen Robert at all that day. His trail seemed to come to an abrupt end shortly after he walked out of his front door.

A week after Robert disappeared, his family offered a reward for any information that led to his safe return. Although they tried to remain optimistic, they feared that he might have been a victim of foul play. Still, the fact that his body hadn’t been found anywhere gave them hope that he would be found alive.

There was little progress made on the case for the next year. In July 1980, the Upper Saucon Township Police Department asked for the Pennsylvania State Police to join the investigation. Officials admitted that they still had no conclusive evidence pointing to whether Robert had left voluntarily or run into foul play, and they were hoping that the added resources the state police could provide would help them finally determine what had happened.

Upper Saucon Township Chief of Police William Edmunds continued to believe that Robert was a runaway; given enough time, he assumed the teenager would return home on his own. The Pennsylvania State Police, however, weren’t so sure. They found it odd that Robert had made no attempt at contacting his girlfriend or any of his friends; most teenagers who ran away from home would normally stay in contact with their friends, even if they didn’t want their parents to know where they were.

Prior to his disappearance, Robert had given no indication that he had any problems in his life. He had just finished up his sophomore year at Southern Lehigh High School; he was a popular student and got decent grades. Although he had turned 16 a few months before he vanished, he hadn’t felt the need to get his driver’s license right away as several of his friends were always willing to drive him around.

His older sister had gotten engaged shortly before Robert went missing, and he had been looking forward to attending her wedding. His sister’s fiancé was in the military; this meant that his sister would be moving to Virginia once she got married. Robert had noticed that his mother had been somewhat sad that her daughter was going to be so far away, and he had assured his mother that he would still be living at home with her. There was no way he would have simply disappeared.

State police investigators interviewed about 60 people in their quest to learn what had happened to Robert, but they were unable to find anyone who had any pertinent information. Although there had been no large-scale physical searches conducted, detectives noted that area farmers had already plowed their fields twice since Robert disappeared, and there had been countless hunters wandering through the woods that autumn during hunting season. If Robert’s body had been in the area, it likely would have been found.

Although the dozens of interviews conducted had yielded little in the way of actual facts, detectives did notice that there were two rumors that came up numerous times. The first was that Robert had run away with the Moonies, members of the cult-like Unification Church who had passed through Pennsylvania around the time that he went missing. The second was that he had been picked up and likely killed by a motorcycle gang. Investigators attempted to determine the origin of these rumors, but were unable to find any evidence to indicate that either one was true.

Robert’s case soon went cold, though his parents continued to do everything they could to try and locate him. The Upper Saucon Township Police Department followed up on a few tips that were called in over the next few years, but by 1987 they admitted that they had exhausted all leads and were still no closer to determining what had happened to Robert. Although they admitted that the amount of time that had passed made it unlikely that he had simply run away from home, they had no evidence to suggest that he had been abducted or murdered.

Investigators were certain that there were people in the area who knew what had happened to Robert, and they made a public appeal for anyone with information to come forward. It had been over eight years since Robert had disappeared, and they were hopeful that the passage of time might make people more amenable to speaking with detectives, but their request went unanswered.

By 2014, Robert had been missing for 35 years. His mother, Karen, had come to terms with the fact that her son had likely been killed, but she continued to hope that his body would be found so she and her husband could give him a proper burial. She was 78 years old in 2014, and told reporters that she wanted answers before she died.

It was around this time that law enforcement received a tip that appeared to be legitimate; a woman who had lived in the Coopersburg area at the time Robert went missing claimed that she and a friend had been involved in his disappearance and knew where his body was buried. Although police did not release the identity of this person, they believed that her information was credible and they decided to conduct a search of the area where she claimed his body would be found.

The woman indicated that Robert had been buried in a wooded area in Berks County, Pennsylvania, about halfway between Reading and Allentown. Investigators approached the current owner of the 72-acre property, a retired Lehigh University professor, and he gave them permission to search the area in May 2014. The woman had indicated that Robert’s body would be found near a small stone wall on the property; investigators spent four days combing the area but found nothing.

Undeterred, investigators returned to the property the following month. During this second search, they knocked down the old stone wall and spent days combing through an area of the property where an old farmhouse had stood before it burned to the ground. Once again, they came away empty-handed.

A third search of the property was conducted in May 2015; the fact that nothing was found made many doubt the credibility of the unidentified informant. To date, there have been no additional searches and the fate of Robert remains unknown.

Robert Keck was 16 years old when he went missing in 1979. He has hazel eyes and blond hair, and at the time of his disappearance he was 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighed 140 pounds. He was last seen wearing cut-off jeans and a blue T-shirt with the words “Beach Bum Virgin Islands” printed in tan, and tan shoes with crepe soles. He was also wearing a silver chain with a white cross on it. If you have any information about Robert, please contact the Upper Saucon Township Police Department at 610–282–3064.

Pennsylvania Cold Case: What Happened to Robert Keck?

I have the impression that someone who offers him a ride at some point acted violently against Robert, poor young boy so soon and was killed...
rest in peace

Bobby was a classmate of mine when he disappeared. I think about him all the time and so wish there could be an answer for his family! I have some questions, and this is so new to me doing any type of "sleuthing," but maybe some of you know more....
I hate the fact they treated him as a runaway at first. He never would have done that. And hooking up with the Moonies??! He never would have done that, and even if he did, he would have contacted his family at some point.

Did investigators ever get a search team together that canvassed the path he may have walked to get to his "girlfriend?" After seeing spartanx's comment, I wonder if someone stopped to ask if he needed a ride and he accepted and something happened there. He was a really cute and sweet guy, so who knows.

And......regarding the search they've done at the property in Berks County....
Who was it that came forward to say they were involved and specified that location where he was allegedly buried?? I speculate that can only be one of 2 people that I would know, and if it wasn't one of them, then it was probably a bogus tip. Can well-trained cadaver dogs smell the presence that there could have been deceased remains there after 42 years??

Bobby had dated my best friend in high school, and I, for some reason, never knew why they broke up. I can't for the life of me figure out why he started "going out with" the person he did at the time of his disappearance. There were only 2 people in the school I was definitely terrified of...this girlfriend and her friend. I made sure I never EVER got on their bad side. The girlfriend was also a classmate, but her friend was a couple years older. I always tried to steer clear of her.

I think about him even more often these days because of all the true crime podcasts I listen to, and I so wish we would have had the knowledge and insight into investigating disappearances like we have today, and some type of evidence could have been found. I really hope something comes up before some family members are no longer here to get that closure.

There were only 2 people in the school I was definitely terrified of...this girlfriend and her friend. I made sure I never EVER got on their bad side. The girlfriend was also a classmate, but her friend was a couple years older. I always tried to steer clear of her.
How did these two act after his disappearance? Are they still in the local area?

June 30, 2014

May 14, 2015

I am curious if his girlfriend at the time he went missing would sometimes, or ever, call him at his house. If so, how did she react when he didn't arrive for the expected visit? Did she call the house to see if he was still there?

I have a lot of questions that won't be answered but -- did LE take the woman who came forward out to the property they searched, or did she just describe where to look? Did they search with cadaver dogs? Take soil samples from the alleged spot for analysis? Does the woman have known MH issues; did LE interview her siblings, if she has any? What did she say was their motive for murdering him? Did her story seem realistic?

Robert's NamUs Profile has been modified on 4/9/24
He currently has 75 rule outs/exclusions

I am wondering if he was walking to his girlfriends house, if someone could have accidently hit them with their car. They panicked and buried his body? It's just a thought.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back