Infant Self Rescue in a pool

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
It is summer time and safety for infants/children around water is important and essential. I'm putting this here so it is visible to guest viewers, as well.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), drowning is the number one cause of accidental death for infants and young children between the ages of 1-4.

http://www.infantswim.com/water-safety/water-safety-information.html

[video=youtube;fwvv5IyPkXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwvv5IyPkXM[/video]

Wow!

I remember my mother telling me that I was in an infant swimming class at the YWCA and they would purposely drop us off the diving boards -- can't recall what it was we were supposed to be learning -- but I enrolled my kiddos in them at the YMCA and always had a difficult time when the instructor suggested pulling them underwater (briefly of course).

We have all had that challenging moment of being pushed beyond the limit, but it did help. I have friends who buried their infant son because of a pool accident; it is imperative for infants and children to know how to be safe in the water. This is a tool to accomplishing that safety.

Wow!

I remember my mother telling me that I was in an infant swimming class at the YWCA and they would purposely drop us off the diving boards -- can't recall what it was we were supposed to be learning -- but I enrolled my kiddos in them at the YMCA and always had a difficult time when the instructor suggested pulling them underwater (briefly of course).

I'm from South Florida and have spent most of my adult life in Southern California, two states where children drowning is all too common. I think any training children can be given is a good thing.

But such training is NOT a substitute for childproofing barriers and adult supervision.

Even adults can panic in the water. I would never trust entirely that a toddler would not.

A very important topic, thanks Jacie.

My son was enrolled in a water babies class at 9 months, 37 years ago at Florida State University (Go Noles!). It was a rather new concept at that time & the director of the program was the Canadian lady who developed that particular program.

He may have become the fish that he is anyway, swimming-diving-scuba-snorkeling-skiing, but the assurance that he knew to roll over on his back & float when he needed to breathe or rest as he worked his way to the poolside or shore, gave us peace of mind. A minute of a child saving himself can make all the difference!

noZme, I also had lessons at a very early age. My parents were from Kansas and didn't even swim, but apparently I had no fear of water and would simply fling myself into a pool or the ocean whenever I got near. So they made sure I had lessons when I was quite young.

I'm not as athletic as your son, but as a result of that training I have always been calm in or around the water. Monster waves, riptides? No problem. I was even shipwrecked off the coast of Miami and didn't even break a sweat as the boat went down beneath me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back