1058 users online (221 members and 837 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GA - Wayne Williams - Atlanta Child Murders & more - 1979-1981

It's been exactly five weeks since DeKalb County police Chief Louis Graham announced that he was setting up a special squad to look into five of the infamous Atlanta "missing and murdered children" cases of the 1980s and the cold case cops may already have a lead.

DeKalb police spokesman Officer Herschel Grangent said this week that more than 75 tips concerning the reopened cases have come into a telephone hotline. Detectives are following a particular lead from one caller, he said, but he would not disclose details.

"That's the most we're able to release at this time. When there's more that we can tell you, we will," Grangent said.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...5coldcase.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

The state is fighting a federal magistrate judge's order that could eventually allow convicted killer Wayne Williams access to wiretaps of reputed white supremacists that were collected during the Atlanta child murders investigation of a quarter-century ago.

In a motion filed in U.S. District Court this week, the state Attorney General's Office also is disputing the portion of the judge's May 31 order involving a request to allow Williams access to the juvenile records of a key witness against Williams.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...willliams.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Atlanta Child Murders - DNA?

At the time of the Atlanta Child Murders, and Wayne Williams' trial and conviction, DNA was not something that Law Enforcement even knew about. I wonder if Today, any DNA could be retrieved from old evidence obtained to confirm Williams' guilt - or point to a different killer or killers.

Post I'll throw this out there...

I was in the USAF in the late 70's and early 80's stationed in South Ga. There was an individual also in the service who made frequent trips to Atlanta on the weekends. On no less than 5 of those weekends, children DISAPPEARED andwere later found murdered. While this maybe nothing more than a strange coincidence, I have always wondered of this person could have been involved in any of these murders.

Bring Maura home!

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Quote Originally Posted by gatetrekker44
    I was in the USAF in the late 70's and early 80's stationed in South Ga. There was an individual also in the service who made frequent trips to Atlanta on the weekends. On no less than 5 of those weekends, children DISAPPEARED andwere later found murdered. While this maybe nothing more than a strange coincidence, I have always wondered of this person could have been involved in any of these murders.

Bring Maura home!
    Have you thought about phoning in an anonymous tip?

Yes, I have-but I am not sure exactly...

where to call or who to speak with-after all-it could just be a REALLY weird coincidence!

Bring Maura home!

where to call or who to speak with-after all-it could just be a REALLY weird coincidence!

Bring Maura home!

A MESSAGE FROM Chief L. Graham

Thank you for visting the DeKalb County Police Department website. As Chief of Police, I have decided to reopen five of the twenty-seven Atlanta Missing and Murdered Cases that occurred here in DeKalb County. The Cold Case Unit of DeKalb County Police Department needs assistance with any information that will help bring closure to the families and loved ones of these cases. This is not about Wayne Williams, this is about truth and justice! If you have any information, please contact the Cold Case Unit at 404-294-2280 or missingmurdered@dekalbpolice.com

http://www.dekalbpubsafety.com/v2/index_html.htm

Air Force OSI

The United States Air Force Office of Special Investigations is located at Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, DC. They would probably be very interested in the information that you have concerning this individual and his suspected activities. They could get access to his Service Records and see if there were any previous legal problems, or activities that could be tied in to those Georgia Investigations. You can contact them by phone or e-mail. Vistit their website for more information.

link: http://public.afosi.amc.af.mil/

gatetreker it is LE's job to investigate. You don't have to know if he did anything wrong. All you need is that the guy's activities were enough to make you suspicious (and if you remember them after all of this time, you must have had some serious concern).
    The LE is begging for tips, and can and will investigate anything that you tell them.
    So no matter which place you contact- please do make contact and let LE take over from there. That is what they do. They investigate and determine if there should be concern.

Thumbs up Thanks to you both!

Mysteriew and Richard-I am going to contact BOTH entities and give them what info I have-it's funny but I never thought of the OSI. I did discuss my concerns with this individual's immediate supervisor at the time-he discouraged me from pursuing it, even though he thought it was a weird coincidence! I'll let you know what, if anything, happens(as long as it doesn't jeopardize the inquiry!)Thanks again!

Decades-old wiretaps of conversations between suspected white supremacists that could play a role in the case of convicted killer Wayne Williams likely have been destroyed, a state official said Saturday.

The tapes were withheld from Williams during his 1982 trial. His lawyers have asked for them now that some of the cases of Atlanta's "missing and murdered" children have been reopened.

But they may no longer exist.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...5/17tapes.html

Frustrating! So...according to the article the tapes might have been "purged" as part of a routine. I wonder who listened to the tapes and who might be willing to testify about the contents.....I don't know how reliable this type of testimony would be considered though. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Decades-old wiretaps of conversations between suspected white supremacists that could play a role in the case of convicted killer Wayne Williams likely have been destroyed, a state official said Saturday.

The tapes were withheld from Williams during his 1982 trial. His lawyers have asked for them now that some of the cases of Atlanta's "missing and murdered" children have been reopened.

But they may no longer exist.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...5/17tapes.html

I just read an account of the profiling that was instrumental in the capture of Wayne Williams, along with some of the info about the case and it seems to me like a pretty solid conviction. I will be the first to say however that it's possible for unsolved murders to be chalked up to certain serial killers when they may be the deeds of others, copycats etc. I do think Williams is guilty of at least some of the murders based on information I have read on the case. There may have been more than one serial killer in that city at the time though.

Linking murders in serial cases...

Quote Originally Posted by Mullins
    I just read an account of the profiling that was instrumental in the capture of Wayne Williams, along with some of the info about the case and it seems to me like a pretty solid conviction. I will be the first to say however that it's possible for unsolved murders to be chalked up to certain serial killers when they may be the deeds of others, copycats etc. I do think Williams is guilty of at least some of the murders based on information I have read on the case. There may have been more than one serial killer in that city at the time though.
    You make some excellent points. When police are trying to capture a serial killer, they look at many other cases outside of what they feel are definitely the work of the killer. Sometimes a case might be linked which has similarities, but cannot be linked conclusively. Probably just as often, a murder is NOT linked that should/could have been. This might be due to a change in MO, or other reasons.

As I recall, most of the Atlanta killings involved black children, both male and female. Yet there is also a young adult black male whose murder has been tied to Williams.

A white supremacist investigated for a child-killing spree that terrorized Atlanta's black community once praised the crimes in secretly recorded conversations obtained by The Associated Press.

Although Charles T. Sanders did not claim responsibility for any of the deaths, lawyers for Wayne Williams, the black man convicted in two of the murders and blamed for 22 others between 1979 and 1981, believe the evidence will help their bid for a new trial.

Sanders whose older brother, Don, was a reputed officer of the Ku Klux Klan told an informant for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in the 1981 recording that the killer had "wiped out a thousand future generations of ******s."

His only complaint was that the killings were prompting police road blocks.

Police dropped the probe into the Klan's possible involvement after seven weeks, when Sanders and two of his brothers passed lie-detector tests, according to documents released this week to the AP following an open-records request.

The 315 pages of documents show the investigation started after a source told police that Sanders said the KKK "was creating an uprising among the blacks, that they were killing the children, that they are going to do one each month until things blow up."

The source also told police that Sanders had threatened to strangle one of the children, Lubie Geter, because Geter ran into Sanders' car with a go-cart. Geter was later strangled, and Williams was blamed for his death though never charged.

Former GBI Director Robbie Hamrick, who worked on the case, said he believes Williams is guilty, though he wouldn't say Williams committed all the killings.

"I'm convinced he was responsible for the two cases he was convicted on," Hamrick said. "The others, that's something the courts would have to decide."
    http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shar..._Killings.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast