TX TX - Sally McNelly, 18, & Shane Stewart, 16, San Angelo, 4 July 1988

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
946859a6-6ee5-415a-8d45-6fb90d95a5d2_zps5f3e1320.jpg

http://sanangelolive.com/news/crime/2014-07-02/sheriffs-office-announces-developments-26-year-old-double-homicide

On July 4th, 1988, Sally Ann McNelly and Shane Paul Stewart were murdered, in a double homicide case that eventually made national headlines.

Twenty-six years later, local law enforcement officials are still searching for the killer--or killers--and the Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office held a press conference on Tuesday to announce two major developments in the case.

“We want to keep this case in front of the public,” said Sgt. Terry Lowe. “We’re still working hard to get this case solved.”

An article from last year:

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2013/jul/02/cold-case-you-dont-forget/

Almost 25 years ago Shane Stewart, with $11 in his pocket and plans to watch fireworks with his girlfriend, Sally McNelly, gave his dad a hug and walked out the door...

After a call from the park manager, Marshall Stewart, arriving at the same time as investigators, found his son’s 1980 copper-colored Camaro abandoned at Isabel Harte Park, an area now part of San Angelo State Park. The investigation that began that day became one of the state’s top unsolved homicide cases.

Both teens were found four months later when hunters happened upon skeletal remains in a pasture south of Twin Buttes.

Remembering Shane and Sally FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Remembering-Shane-and-Sally/663007740451070

It looks like possibily an investigator at the Sheriffs Office started this fb page? That's really awesome. I wish there where more cases like this.

I'm so glad to see a thread about this! Sally was my friend's sister, so I really want to see this case solved and justice served.

The Facebook page was started by the new investigator on the case. I can't remember his name, but I've emailed with him and he's very devoted to the case.

I believe this case will be solved when someone with information finally decides to talk. So it's imperative that we keep this case in the public eye!

If anyone is interested in this case, please message me! I'd love to compare notes!

May Shane and Sally rest in peace.

The Texas Department of Public Safety has partnered with the Texas Rangers to investigate several cold cases across the state.

Sally McNelly (Tom Green County - Killed in 1988): On the evening of July 04, 1988, Sally Ann McNelly (18 Years of age) and Shane Paul Stewart (17 Years of age), went out together to Lake Nasworthy to view an annual fireworks display at the lake. After neither returned home, a search ensued and Stewarts prized Chevrolet Camaro was found abandoned the following date. In November of the same year, the remains of both victims were discovered in a pasture by hunters near Twin Buttes Reservoir, about twenty miles from the location of the vehicle. Both victims had died from gunshot wounds and were located a short distance from each other. Investigation at the crime scene clearly established both victims were the victim of homicide.

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/texas-cold-cases-big-country-and-beyond

Has anyone heard any updates in this case? I think the last I heard was that they were going to exhume Shane, but that was a while back.

FBI Joins Efforts to Solve San Angelo Cold Case

http://sanangelolive.com/news/crime/2016-11-14/fbi-joins-efforts-solve-san-angelo-cold-case

During this week 28 years ago, law enforcement officials recovered the remains of Sally McNelly and Shane Stewart from the Twin Buttes area. Throughout the years, Tom Green County Sheriff's Office officials said this brutal homicide has remained an active investigation involving many local and state agencies. Today, TGCSO announced that the FBI has been asked to join the investigation and will be actively involved going forward.

"After consulting with the FBI, it was determined that their involvement will consist of Behavioral Case Analysis, investigative assistance and the use of additional FBI resources as needed," said TGCSO.

New Evidence Found in Cold Case from 1988

http://www.myfoxzone.com/news/new-evidence-found-in-cold-case-from-1988-1/450722871

It started with the arrest of John Gilbreath on other charges: possession of drugs, body armor, and firearms. Then came a search warrant. That's where these investigators found more clues related to murders of Shane Stewart and Sally McNelly.

During that search, law enforcement came across items relating to the murder of Shane and Sally.

In the home in the 2700 block of on Raney Street, court documents show, investigators found three audio tapes with "SS" written on them, handwritten notes and ledgers mentioning Shane and Sally, and a lock of hair, and a fingernail.

Other items found in the home, bags and boxes of papers, letters, and other handwritten documents mentioning Shane and Sally. Also found, a small book labeled “Wide Open Arms,” photographs, photocopied notes and calendar, and other possible biological material believed to be blood.

Here is something I just found

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cri...-1988-slayings-teenage-couple-authorities-say
John Cyrus Gilbreath, 47, faces charges of possession of marijuana, possession of a firearm by a felon and possession of body armor by a felon. Authorities got a warrant to search his home for ledgers used in drug trafficking but said they discovered a grisly collection instead.

Investigators with the Texas Rangers and the Tom Green County Sheriff's Office found personal writings "specific to the offense of murder" that included Shane and Sally's names, as well as three audio tapes with "SS" written on them, according to a search warrant affidavit obtained by the San Angelo Standard-Times.

I'm glad there has been a break in the case after so long it gives me hope for other cases here. He looks much older than 47 to me? I wondered if his age was correct.

He certainly does look old, perhaps a life time of stress and / or unhealthy lifestyle choices.

The other thing that sticks out to me is that if the alleged offender is only 47, that he would have had to have completed this horrific double murder (complete with keeping 'trophies' from the victims) when he was just 18 years old himself. Thankfully it seems as though this budding serial killer didn't kill any further victims in the almost three decades since the murders of Shane and Sally.

MOO.

Wow....just goes to show every case is just one step away from being solved. And I agree, that is a rough 47 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope endures in 29-year-old cold case

http://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/local/2017/07/03/hope-endures-29-year-old-cold-case/448420001/

Hope, although difficult to maintain, has not faded for Sally McNelly's mother, Patricia Wade.

"It’s kind of a yo-yo feeling, you know," Wade said. "That’s why we’re trying to stay cautiously optimistic so that it’s not such a horrible letdown. We feel like it’s going to be solved. I don’t know when and I don’t know how and I don’t know whether I’ll still be alive when it is, but I have confidence it will be solved."

Wade said losing her daughter permanently altered her life, but her focus has remained on her daughter and Stewart.

"It’s not about me. It’s not about the pain over 29 years," she said. "It’s about what Sally lost. It’s about what Shane lost."

Remembering Sally McNelly: What her mom wants you to know

Two teens, Shane Stewart and Sally McNelly were killed on July 4, 1988. Their bodies were found in two different locations months later. Their case is unsolved but is still being investigated.

Sally’s parents told us what they would want people to know about sally.

"Sally was a very kind, loving person, she held no malice. She was very sweet and compassionate. I with more people really knew her. It's sad but when children with so much to live, to grow, to become, their lives are ended like this anyway but in a violent way like this, it's unbelievable. It's incomprehensible. I just want people to continue to care because Sally would have cared. She never would have forgotten her friends,” Patricia Wade, Sally’s mother, said.

Interesting that he was poi from the beginning, if he is the killer I hope he can be arrested and convicted as he deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail

Hope endures in 29-year-old cold case

Mr. Gilbreath has in fact been a person of interest since the beginning, amongst several others," Lowe said, but he did not elaborate further.

Lowe, who has been working the case since 2013, believes it will be solved.

"Investigators working cold cases are blessed with the work that has been completed by those that have gone before them," he said. "Time passes and evidentiary opportunities and techniques become available that weren’t even thought of in 1988. It is said that the information to solve a cold case will be in the case file. One just has to see it. Never hurts to have another set of eyes look."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back