GUILTY VA - Lois Schmidt, 29, & Jonathan Vetrano, 7, murdered, Virginia Beach, June 2004 *arrest in 2018*

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
c50b22ce-cae5-4313-b7aa-accc62335174_zps7808285f.jpg

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/06/ten-years-after-fatal-shootings-couple-hope-justice

Ten years ago, someone killed Lois and Jonathan in the family's home. The killer shot and wounded Lois' 25-year-old brother, Morgan Bloise, killed one of the dogs and shot another, and set the house on fire...

After two failed marriages, Lois and her two children - Jonathan and Samantha, then just a baby - had moved back to her parents' house in Level Green in 2003. Her divorce from her second husband was finalized early the next year....

Nancy said she believes Lois and Jonathan may have been killed in a murder-for-hire plot. She believes the person who came to the door that morning was there for an identity check, to make sure it was the right house, and the fire was set in an attempt to eliminate evidence. "Whoever came in here had to know what they were doing," she said. "It happened fast."

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seeking-info/jonathan-vetrano/view

During the morning of June 28, 2004, 29-year-old Lois Schmidt and her 7-year-old son Jonathan Vetrano were fatally shot in the head. The victims' house was also set on fire.

At approximately 6:00 a.m., an unknown male approached the victims' home in Virginia Beach. The unknown male informed Schmidt that he was a former classmate of hers at their high school. Schmidt did not recognize him and closed the door. At approximately 7:00 a.m. that same morning, a white male (possibly Hispanic) was observed sitting in a raspberry-colored 1999 Chevrolet pickup truck in the vicinity of the victims' residence. The truck has not been seen in the neighborhood since the incident occurred. Additionally, the driver is being sought for questioning.

The suspect being sought for these murders is described as a white male (possibly Hispanic) 6'0"-6'1", weighing approximately 160-165 pounds, and wearing black clothing to include a mask.

Who would hate her so much or profit from her death?

How very convenient Samantha was with her father, the 2nd ex, when this happened. What a horrible crime :(

This is such a sad case. My heart goes out to Samantha and the rest of the family.

How very convenient Samantha was with her father, the 2nd ex, when this happened. What a horrible crime :(

Agreed. That same ex, with whom she was involved in a bitter custody dispute, now has full-custody of the child. The grandparents also say they have not seen Samantha since the murders. They say they're hoping to see her once again, perhaps once she becomes an adult. I believe that comment strongly implies that Samantha's father has denied her murdered mother's family members access to the child.

VB Investigators, and now the FBI, have undoubtedly considered this ex with, a strong motive to be a person of interest. The fact that he lives in Florida complicates the potential discovery of evidence of a contract murder. I was a juror in a federal case of contract homicide, and even with evidence from wired FBI informants, it was difficult to convict.

We can hope that one day, someone with information will see the photo of Jonathan's sweet face, and come forward.
attachment.php

Even with a witness, VBPD hasn't been able to make any headway in this case. I don't believe a tip is going to do it here. This killer is going to do it again, make a major mistake and get caught.

Even with a witness, VBPD hasn't been able to make any headway in this case. I don't believe a tip is going to do it here. This killer is going to do it again, make a major mistake and get caught.

That's a fair assumption. Also, if a contract killer was involved, it's far less likely feelings of guilt will cause a crisis of conscience, compelling the assassin to turn himself in and confess. Having served as a juror in a federal murder for hire case, I observed first-hand how naive and reckless criminals and/or their associates can be. My biggest hope is a former spouse, girlfriend, or other associate finds a reason to come forward, as that's the only feasible way I can foresee justice for Lois, Johnathan, and their pet dog. The fortitude of the surviving family members is commendable. I admire their strong faith and will, they have been in my thoughts and prayers as well.

2 MEN WERE JUST ARRESTED FOR THE MURDERS ----- Another arrest was made in the case on June 25, according to the press release, which states Christopher Schmidt, 46, Deltona, Florida, was charged with one count of first-degree murder. sorry if i done this all wrong im not real familiar with using websleuths yet. THE OTHER MAN was living in Logansport
Indiana. UPDATED: Logansport man charged with 2 counts of murder

I haven’t heard any more info on this case since the articles linked here. I’m very curious what the role of the alleged killers...especially the man from Logansport, Indiana.

I haven’t heard any more info on this case since the articles linked here. I’m very curious what the role of the alleged killers...especially the man from Logansport, Indiana.

Me too. I hope we get further details.

OK, after checking the Virginia Court system even though the above article states that Richard Stoner was to be sentenced in 2020, there were a number of delays including an evaluation. The pre-sentencing report is not due till 15 June 2021 per the records.
The husband did not go on trial in 2020. Per the VA Court System his jury trial is now scheduled for 27 September 2021.

Man asks to withdraw guilty plea to murders of mother, son | 13newsnow.com

Schmidt is in the Virginia Beach Correctional Center awaiting trial.

In addition to Stoner's lawyer making the case that he be allowed to withdraw his guilty plea Tuesday, the Virginia Beach Commonwealth's Attorney's Office made its argument that the plea should stand.

A judge is supposed to rule on the matter on September 15.

A man pleaded guilty to 12 counts, including aggravated murder, on Thursday in connection to the 2004 murders of a 29-year-old and her seven-year-old son.

Richard Stoner faces up to life in prison at his sentencing, which is currently scheduled for May 1.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back