612 users online (55 members and 557 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

JAMAICA - Claudia Ann Kirshhoch, 29, Negril, 27 May 2000

i really thought that there was a thread for claudia ppreviously, but i am unable to find it.

in light of natalee holloway's disappearance i was planning on bumping it so instead i guess i will start my own.

claudia disappeared from negril, jamaica in may of 2000. like natalee, there is an obvious suspect of someone who caused her harm - even more so with hard evidence - but justice has never been brought to this individual. and claudia has never been found.

claudia is special for me bc although i never knew her we grew up in the same neighborhood most likely knew a lot of the same people. even though she is several years older than i am. i am also going to negril next month for my honeymoon.

here are some links detailing claudia as a person, her disapperance and her parents' search.

http://findclaudia.homestead.com/

this is the most detailed explaining the circumstances under which she went missing.

http://findclaudia.homestead.com/fil...a_Scotsman.htm

What a beautiful girl.

What made them first suspect Anthony Grant, do you know what connection he had to her?

He arrives in the story after having missed 4 days of work after the day she was last seen, and then subsequently his car and other items were found to contain clues related to her.

But what first made them look at him? Did he know her?

Prayers for her safe return. It doesn't sound like there's much hope.

they had been hanging out while she was there and she told the lady she was traveling with that they went on a date. they had gone out to a band, gone skinny dipping and got high together.

he asked her again but she refused him.

thanks Carolina.

I guess then there's some reason that a hair of hers was found, kind of odd about the gloves, odd about the trunk of the car, and VERY odd he missed the next four days of work.

It seems unlikely though that any more evidence will surface after 5 years.

So sad for her family.

the knife with blood on it was odd too...i wonder if it was ever tested? you would think that that right there would be evidence.

so sad.

the fact that anthony grant asked a docor for sleeping pills and stomach medicine makes me hope he has some type of conscience and guilt will eventually bring out the truth.

here is her page at unsolved mysteries.

http://www.unsolved.com/0140-Kirschhoch.html

my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in jamaica during hurricane dennis.

i hope something good will come out of it though and its affects will uncover something leading to the location of claudia.

True. A lot of people believe the winter storms led to the recovery of Laci and Conner's bodies.

The anguished family of a Queens travel writer who mysteriously vanished in the Caribbean five years ago says there are chilling similarities between her case and that of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway, missing on Aruba.
    "There are so many similarities it's terribly stressful. We haven't slept much," said Fred Kirschhoch, the father of talented Frommer's Travel Guides editor Claudia Kirschhoch, 29. Claudia, who lived in Astoria, disappeared while on her way to a Sandals beach resort in Cuba for an assignment in May 2000.
    http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/50680.htm
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

That is so sad about Claudia. I don't even recall this making the news 5 years ago. The family is suing Sandals resorts and has had Claudia declared legally dead

i just recently got back from spending a little over a week in negril. if the bartender did in fact kill claudia, i am not suprised she has not been found. besides the fact that he had the ocean available to him to dispose of her the areas surrounding negril are undeveloped, poor, mountainous, and jungley. there also seems to be no government officials of any type in the area. i would be amazed if they had a police force that was not corrupt and in any way efficient in analyzing a crime.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    bumping for Claudia.

Her disappearence got a lot of publicity when it happened but has diminished over the years. With evidence supporting a cover-up I wonder if there has been any connections made between staff at the resort and the bartender. Would the resort employees go so far as to destroy log-books and tapes to cover their negligence for not looking after her closely? Doing those things just makes them look more negligent. I really think someone at the resort had something to do with her disappearence and destroyed that evidence so it could not connected to him.

There are some great articles out there about Claudia's disappearence:

http://findclaudia.homestead.com/fil...a_Scotsman.htm (especially this one. Very in-depth article about the social/political climate in Jamaica at that time and an in-depth look at Claudia's disappearence.)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in713376.shtml

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...h_claudia.html

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/jamaica/claudia.htm

http://www.people.com/people/archive...131967,00.html
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

This case is so sad, and so eerie. With all the publicity about Natalee Holloway, I don't understand why there's not more about Claudia, or Amy Bradley.

It does seem like Grant is the most likely suspect. Is it possible this could have been just a random abduction?

This is exactly why I get so nervous about traveling.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...vestigation%20
    May 22, 2002
    Queens Travel Writer Who Vanished in Jamaica Is Declared Dead
    By SARAH KERSHAW
    A travel writer who lived in Queens before she vanished during a trip to Jamaica two years ago has been declared dead by a New Jersey judge who concluded that ''some kind of foul play occurred.''

The writer, Claudia Kirschhoch, an assistant editor for Frommer's travel guides who lived in Astoria, was last seen on May 27, 2000, at a resort in Negril.

Ms. Kirschhoch's parents, who live in New Jersey, asked a court in Morristown to declare their daughter dead, after an intense two-year search. They hired a private investigator and made several trips to Jamaica, where they distributed thousands of posters and asked hundreds of questions. They also posted a $50,000 reward, and set up a telephone line and a Web site seeking information. On Monday, Judge Reginald Stanton of Superior Court in Morristown ruled that Ms. Kirschhoch had died as a result of foul play.

The ruling paves the way for the Kirschhochs to file a lawsuit against Sandals Resorts Inc., which owns the Negril resort where Ms. Kirschhoch was staying in Negril, and they said they planned to do so by next Monday. That is the deadline for filing a lawsuit against anyone they believe is responsible for their daughter's disappearance and possible murder.

Sandals Resorts has also posted a reward, of 1 million Jamaican dollars -- about $21,000 United States dollars. In a statement, the company said: ''We as a company and as hundreds of employees send our sympathy to Claudia's family at this extremely sad news. We had all remained hopeful for a very different outcome.''

The Kirschhochs said that the death certificate was a way to continue looking for clues to what happened. Now that their daughter has been declared dead, they can gain access to police and F.B.I. information about the case, they said. They also said they hoped a lawsuit would yield more information, possibly from employees of the resort.

''We want our daughter back,'' said Ms. Kirschhoch's father, Frederick, who like his wife quit his job to undertake the search full time. ''We have to know what happened.''

He added, ''We feel that there's been enough of a cover-up to keep us from knowing the truth, which we're going to get to sooner or later.''

The Kirschhochs said they believed that employees of the resort -- Beaches Negril, part of a 15-hotel chain run by Sandals -- may have withheld information during the investigation into their daughter's disappearance. Various leads, including an anonymous letter the Kirschhochs received saying that their daughter had gone to a concert with a local bartender and possibly overdosed on a date-rape drug, have led nowhere, Mr. Kirschhoch said.

a photo of one of the original articles can be found here on Oceania
    http://z10.invisionfree.com/Porchlig...topic=88&st=0&

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    I'm just now coming across Claudia's case. It is eerily similar to Natalee Holloway and Amy Bradley (and others as well).

Regarding her parents having her declared legally dead so soon, here is an explanation (ETA: FYI, many of the original links to online articles are no longer working, but the forum at the link below has most of texts from those articles and is a good resource):

The ruling paves the way for the Kirschhochs to file a lawsuit against Sandals Resorts Inc., which owns the Negril resort where Ms. Kirschhoch was staying in Negril, and they said they planned to do so by next Monday. That is the deadline for filing a lawsuit against anyone they believe is responsible for their daughter's disappearance and possible murder.

(snip)

The Kirschhochs said that the death certificate was a way to continue looking for clues to what happened. Now that their daughter has been declared dead, they can gain access to police and F.B.I. information about the case, they said. They also said they hoped a lawsuit would yield more information, possibly from employees of the resort.

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Porchlig...topic=88&st=0&
    I found another article quoting her parents that said it was the only way to force anyone from Beaches to talk to authorities - in a courtroom. I haven't found anything yet about the outcome of the lawsuit.
    Last edited by belimom; 01-13-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast