WI WI - Harshaw, WhtMale 45-60, UP4738, w/ backpk/sleep'g bag, PA ID card, clothes, ring w/ HFM, Oct'00

tatertot

Reaction score
NamUs UP # 4738
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4738

Unidentified White Male
Found October 4, 2000, Currie Lake Road, Town of Cassian, Harshaw, Wisconsin

Approx Age: 45 to 60 years
Weight (pounds) Cannot Estimate
Height (inches) 72, Estimated
Head Hair: Gray or partially gray/brown to gray
Eyes: Unknown
Deformities: Presence of 6th Lumbar Vertebra; Healed fx of right clavicle at mid shaft with evidence of subsequent infection(at least 5 years old); Healed injury to right iliac blade; evidence of probable traumatic injury to left lower leg
Other Distinctive Physical Characteristics: Appears that decedent was right handed, also possibly involved in heavy lifting at work or recreation
Clothing and Accessories: On body: Size 34 White Jockey Style underwear; Dark colored Sweatpants with drawstring and pockets, size Medium; Green wool type socks; Pullover black colored shirt; Pullover style sweatshirt with white colored square pictorial of mountains and an insignia "West" on the front; "Wear Guard" brand dark solid colored pullover style sweatshirt; White pullover style T-shirt, David Taylor Brand size Large; sunglasses
With body: Black & Grey plaid insulated jacket
Footwear: pair of light blue colored "New Balance" brand size 10-1/2 athletic shoes
Jewelry: Hemp material necklace with gold colored ring around the necklace
Eyewear: Glasses, unknown prescription
Other Items: blue Backpack and blue sleeping bag. Possible portion of Pennsylvania Drivers License or ID card. Also had a stuffed blue rabbit; large hunting type knife; multiple pain medications (pill form)

Body Parts Inventory: All parts recovered
Notes on body parts recovered
Body condition: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
Probable year of death 1999 to 2000

Circumstances of death
Undetermined. Appears to be probable suicide.

Fingerprints: Not available
Dental: Available and entered
DNA: Sample submitted - Tests complete

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1772umwi.html

Potential match: Timothy Crissman

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4472/
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1431dmpa.html
http://www.nampn.org/cases/crissman_timothy.html

* The UID was 45-60 years old -- MP was 39 years old
* The UID was 72 inches tall -- MP is 70 inches
* The UID had gray/brown hair -- MP has brown
* The UID had evidence of a traumatic injury to the left leg -- MP's left leg is scarred and two inches shorter than the right due to a motorcycle accident
* The UID had a possible portion of a PA drivers license or ID card -- MP lived in PA
* The UID was suspected to have committed suicide -- MP had made suicidal statements and said nobody would find his body if he killed himself (possible explanation for leaving the state and destroying his ID?)
* The UID had pain medications -- MP has Multiple Sclerosis
* The UID probably did heavy lifting -- MP is a farmer, which is physically demanding work

Negatives
* Should this be an automatic DNA ruleout since both have samples submitted and tests complete?
* The MP was last seen between August 10 - November 3, 1996, while the UID's EDD is between 1999 and 2000.

If the NamUs profile for the UID included photos of his clothing and effects, especially the possible portion of a driver's license, it could be compared against PA licenses. They have to be renewed in PA every four years so if the UID's license was current, it was probably no older than 1995 or 1996. It would also be good to know why only a portion of the license remained and whether it appeared to be intentionally destroyed (cut up or burned) by the UID.

I think Timothy Crissman looks like a good match! Are you going to submit it? Although Timothy and the UID both have DNA submitted it may need a second look?

Thank you. I emailed it to the Oneida County ME contact and was amazed to get a reply on Independence Day stating the match would be looked into Monday. I also mentioned that if an image of the remnant of the PA drivers license/ID card could be added to the profile, I could compare it to my old ones to determine if it's actually a PA card. They're renewed every four years and the design hasn't changed much since 2000.

You have to wonder about that stuffed bunny too. It might just be a cheap carnival prize or it could be a favorite toy the UID had owned since childhood and nobody noticed it was missing from his house when he disappeared. There's something especially sad about this possible suicide only having that bunny around when he passed and I hope it's being held onto so his family can have it someday when he's ID'ed.

I remember when PA did the huge overhaul of their licenses in 2000, the colors changed a little, the layout was different, and they also began putting two photos on the license instead of only one. I also wonder about the bunny and how new it was, was it a childhood toy or just something he may have picked up along the way?

Awww man! Thomas Bendig from PA went missing and was last seen wearing sweatpants and New Balance sneakers, but he was last seen in December 2000, after this UID was found. He also had a scar on the inside of his left leg from ankle to thigh. I thought I had found him, but dates and a few other details don't match up. I'll keep looking.
http://www.pamissing.com/bendigthomas.html

Plush bunny makes me think that either the man had a child (who had previously owned the bunny) that maybe had died, or possibly the bunny belonged to, was a gift for, or had something to do with a girlfriend or wife.

Plush bunny makes me think that either the man had a child (who had previously owned the bunny) that maybe had died, or possibly the bunny belonged to, was a gift for, or had something to do with a girlfriend or wife.

He did have a child. One. A daughter. At the time of his disappearance he was also living with his estranged wife & child in his family's old farm house.

He did have a child. One. A daughter. At the time of his disappearance he was also living with his estranged wife & child in his family's old farm house.

Sorry, who do you mean?

That stuffed bunny really gets to me. Most of the time I'm tough as nails, but this is so sad. I think indeed it was a suicide.

It's not clear to me if the man was actually wearing that strange necklace. I'm trying to figure out the inscription on the ring.

That stuffed bunny really gets to me. Most of the time I'm tough as nails, but this is so sad. I think indeed it was a suicide.

It's not clear to me if the man was actually wearing that strange necklace. I'm trying to figure out the inscription on the ring.
Namus lists the engraving on the ring as "HFM".

That bunny could also be a sign of possible mental handicap. Sadly, people that are still children emotionally still can be self destructive. My fiancée's cousin, who is in her early twenties yet has mentality of a 12 year old I believe, suffers from anorexia and I'm pretty sure hates herself.

Regardless, this one really is heartbreaking.

Michael Auteri
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

This man may be considered a possible match.

He is missing out of Pennsylvania.
Stats generally align.
Reported missing March 2000.
He closed banking accounts in 1999, and 2000. Last picked up mail April 2000.
He was wanted for questioning in an alleged sexual assault.
His car was found along a railroad grade (I believe this is where a road and railway interesect) with what appeared to be a suicide note.

Some details above in this link:
Michael Auteri

This appears to be the approximate location where Auteri's car was found: Google Maps

On April 25, 2000, Michael Joseph Auteri’s black Toyota Celica was discovered parked in a remote location along a railroad grade near High Street Extension, Lewis Run Borough, McKean County. The car had been there for several weeks and was discovered by a High Street resident...

I would not call the location exactly remote. High Street Extension runs parallel to the railroad for several miles, probably all the way to Bradford, which is a good-sized town. There also appears to be an airport in the area. So it's possible he abandoned the car but took other transportation. Hitched a ride, started walking, rented a car in Bradford, etc. (Though it seems more likely his remains are still in the Lewis Run area).

Is April to October long enough for remains to become as skeletonized as the decedent's?

Is April to October long enough for remains to become as skeletonized as the decedent's?
I don't know - the case file says "Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton". There'd be 6-7 months from missing date to located date.

The bunny has a pink ribbon tied around it's neck area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back