NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sept 2012 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Native American UNC student found murdered in her apartment and
more than a 1,000 from her tribe mourn the 19-year-old's mysterious death

Police are investigating the mysterious death of a 19-year-old UNC Chapel Hill student as a murder.

Faith Hedgepeth, a member of the Haliwa-Saponi tribe of Hollister, North Carolina, was found dead in her home around 11am on Friday.

Police have not disclosed whether they are questioning a suspect or if they have made any arrests. Chapel Hill police have confirmed that they are treating the death as a homicide and say they don’t believe it was a random act.
---
Hedgepeth was a biology major who won a Gates Millennium scholarship to study at UNC.
---
More than 1,000 people from the Haliwa-Saponi tribe gathered to grieve Hedgepeth’s death during the tribe’s annual powwow on Sunday.
---
According to her friends, Hedgepeth planned to return to live with the Native American tribe, which has about 4,000 members, after she finished her studies.
---
much more, with pictures and a video, at Daily Mail link above

Such a beautiful, intelligent young woman. Her Pastor said it all in regards to it throwing off the whole balance of life.

The one photograph of Faith in that funny pose in the road just tore me up.

Prayers for her devastated family, friends and Tribe.

one of the best gone too soon at Chapel Hill...Faith & Eve will not be forgotten :(

What is so scary to me is that the police are saying there is no need to worry...really? Now, almost a week later, they are setting up a tip hotline...I am thinking that they have no clue as to what happened. I live 4 miles from the scene and trust me, people are fearful. The police need to say something...

Sounds like they had a suspect and put all their chips on that suspect and the suspect has an air-tight alibi.

Such a beautiful, intelligent young woman. Her Pastor said it all in regards to it throwing off the whole balance of life.

The one photograph of Faith in that funny pose in the road just tore me up.

Prayers for her devastated family, friends and Tribe.
The thing that really got me was that she was said to be going back to her tribe after graduation. I've taught lots of Native American kids in college, and that is always a decision they face, and it's a terrifically hard one in most of their lives, and it is also a hard one for teachers who serve also as counselors to their students.

The thing that really got me was that she was said to be going back to her tribe after graduation. I've taught lots of Native American kids in college, and that is always a decision they face, and it's a terrifically hard one in most of their lives, and it is also a hard one for teachers who serve also as counselors to their students.

Very true...you have to balance career desire/goals with helping your people

Seems like almost from the beginning of the LE investigation, the LEOs have said that this crime was "not random." That should be reassuring. I hope, for many reasons, that this is so & that it is based on good solid facts: 1) that a nut killer is not on the loose 2) that they have a suspect in mind on whom they are gathering facts so that they can have probable cause to make an arrest. The S/Ws (if plural, IDK) and the 911 call are sealed, and that, too, tells me that they are indeed singling out a suspect(s). They had to have some kind of P/C to get a S/W for whatever -- unless it was her apt/car/ etc. I hope we'll hear about an arrest soon (but not too soon -- they need their facts & evidence to be solid). They must have talked with someone near to her who gave them some good info.

As we have been told, Hedgepeth was a Gates Millennium Scholar which is no small accomplishment:

THE GATES MILLENNIUM SCHOLARS PROGRAM
The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program selects 1,000 talented students each year to receive a good-through-graduation scholarship to use at any college or university of their choice. We provide Gates Millennium Scholars with personal and professional development through our leadership programs along with academic support throughout their college career.

Wow! Just 1,000 of these scholars each year. That's no small deal.

Why do "they" seem to take the very best from us? There are already too many angels in Heaven for her to be one this early in her life. But they apparently got a good one, just like they did when Eve Carson became one of them, too. Ummmm. Oh my, what a sad, sad thing.

Let's hope justice is waiting in the wings, and Godspeed to the LEO's and prosecutors, and strength, hope and patience for her family and those who love her.

I live in NC so I'll watch out for our newscasts and I'll try to capture those of particular interest to the WS folks.

I know I'm getting way ahead here, but one encouraging thing to think about when a suspect is arrested, indicted, and heading for trial: In NC, 1st Degree Murder only has two sentences: The Death Penalty and Life Without Parole. LWOP is what it says. No parole. For life. Period.

How incredibly sad. Any murder is senseless and devastating; but I keep a special place in my heart for women of color who try hard to become the best they can be, who are good people, to be erased from this world. :(

We (the world), her family and her tribe were robbed of a precious gift. May the next leg of her journey be blessed by the creator and may police find the person responsible for this tragic waste.

Seems like almost from the beginning of the LE investigation, the LEOs have said that this crime was "not random." That should be reassuring. I hope, for many reasons, that this is so & that it is based on good solid facts: 1) that a nut killer is not on the loose 2) that they have a suspect in mind on whom they are gathering facts so that they can have probable cause to make an arrest. The S/Ws (if plural, IDK) and the 911 call are sealed, and that, too, tells me that they are indeed singling out a suspect(s). They had to have some kind of P/C to get a S/W for whatever -- unless it was her apt/car/ etc. I hope we'll hear about an arrest soon (but not too soon -- they need their facts & evidence to be solid). They must have talked with someone near to her who gave them some good info.

As we have been told, Hedgepeth was a Gates Millennium Scholar which is no small accomplishment:

THE GATES MILLENNIUM SCHOLARS PROGRAM
The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program selects 1,000 talented students each year to receive a good-through-graduation scholarship to use at any college or university of their choice. We provide Gates Millennium Scholars with personal and professional development through our leadership programs along with academic support throughout their college career.

Wow! Just 1,000 of these scholars each year. That's no small deal.

Why do "they" seem to take the very best from us? There are already too many angels in Heaven for her to be one this early in her life. But they apparently got a good one, just like they did when Eve Carson became one of them, too. Ummmm. Oh my, what a sad, sad thing.

Let's hope justice is waiting in the wings, and Godspeed to the LEO's and prosecutors, and strength, hope and patience for her family and those who love her.

I live in NC so I'll watch out for our newscasts and I'll try to capture those of particular interest to the WS folks.

I know I'm getting way ahead here, but one encouraging thing to think about when a suspect is arrested, indicted, and heading for trial: In NC, 1st Degree Murder only has two sentences: The Death Penalty and Life Without Parole. LWOP is what it says. No parole. For life. Period.

The Gates Millennium is a big deal; she had to have been an excellent student to receive that. Sad loss for family and community and American Indians. Mitakuye Oyasin

We (the world), her family and her tribe were robbed of a precious gift. May the next leg of her journey be blessed by the creator and may police find the person responsible for this tragic waste.

Beautiful words :grouphug:

911 call, search warrants sealed in UNC student's death (newsobserver.com)
CHAPEL HILL -- Police say a judge has ordered 911 recordings sealed in the death of UNC-Chapel Hill student Faith Hedgepeth.
---
Police spokesman Sgt. Joshua Mecimore said the recordings and search warrants related to the homicide investigation have been sealed indefinitely to protect evidence. Police also have not released a cause of death, pending a Chapel Hill medical examiner’s report, he said.

“It’s for accuracy and, right now, for investigative reasons,” Mecimore said. “There are details related to the incident that only someone involved or investigators may know.”
---
more at the link above

The fact that they're raising reward money makes me nervous - afraid that this means they're grasping at straws to find a suspect because they have no clue. I really hope I'm wrong. None of the articles I've read (I'm a local) have mentioned anything about possible motives for the killer - no ex-boyfriends, drug issues, anything like that. Didn't they decide that Eve Carson's killing was random? This strikes me as random as well.

The fact that they're raising reward money makes me nervous - afraid that this means they're grasping at straws to find a suspect because they have no clue. I really hope I'm wrong. None of the articles I've read (I'm a local) have mentioned anything about possible motives for the killer - no ex-boyfriends, drug issues, anything like that. Didn't they decide that Eve Carson's killing was random? This strikes me as random as well.

They already convicted two men for Eve Carson's murder. Robbery was the motive, and it was random. This case appears to be different.

I did check back, Hucklepie, and Eve Carson's murder was thought to be random almost from the beginning. The big, big help in the Carson case was the use of her ATM account card where she banked and the ATM picture of Laurence Lovette. That gave the investigators a huge advantage that few cases get so early in a case. Also, the UNC Board of Trustees offered 25K as a reward in Eve's case as they have done in this case.

When I heard that Hedgepeth's murder was not thought to be random, it was encouraging to me. To me, that meant they already had a suspect in mind. Don't fret that they haven't made an arrest yet, Hucklepie. There are a lot of i's to dot and t's to cross before they can get enuff probable cause to present to a judge for him/her to authorize an arrest and possible and likely search warrants. They have got to have pretty solid evidence to present probable cause -- this is very important to protect the suspect's personal rights and to carry the case forward to trial. It can be tedious and slow sometimes.

They may be watching this person and waiting for him (if a male) to leave fingerprints or DNA so that they can make a comparison to some evidence at the scene; they could be laying a trap for him to leave same somewhere that they could capture and compare. It hasn't been very long since this horrible event happened. The suspect might be hiding somewhere away from his home.

Even though every murder case is very important to investigate fully and quickly, some cases receive more public attention than others, and no, it's not fair. But this case, like Eve's, is high profile, and it will receive a lot of attention -- so it will certainly get a lot of hours spent on it and be a priority investigation. Try to think positively and take encouragement from the attention that it is getting. Hang in there, Hucklepie, and I hope that you come to WS often.
icon7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member