1106 users online (204 members and 902 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Did Faith Hedgepeth know her murderer?
    http://thesop.org/story/20120913/did...-murderer.html

This just in at 9:00am today from WRAL News:

UNC trustees offer $25K reward in student's slaying

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11537970/

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II

The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

The fact that they're raising reward money makes me nervous - afraid that this means they're grasping at straws to find a suspect because they have no clue. I really hope I'm wrong. None of the articles I've read (I'm a local) have mentioned anything about possible motives for the killer - no ex-boyfriends, drug issues, anything like that. Didn't they decide that Eve Carson's killing was random? This strikes me as random as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hucklepie View Post
    The fact that they're raising reward money makes me nervous - afraid that this means they're grasping at straws to find a suspect because they have no clue. I really hope I'm wrong. None of the articles I've read (I'm a local) have mentioned anything about possible motives for the killer - no ex-boyfriends, drug issues, anything like that. Didn't they decide that Eve Carson's killing was random? This strikes me as random as well.
    They already convicted two men for Eve Carson's murder. Robbery was the motive, and it was random. This case appears to be different.
    Just my opinion

I did check back, Hucklepie, and Eve Carson's murder was thought to be random almost from the beginning. The big, big help in the Carson case was the use of her ATM account card where she banked and the ATM picture of Laurence Lovette. That gave the investigators a huge advantage that few cases get so early in a case. Also, the UNC Board of Trustees offered 25K as a reward in Eve's case as they have done in this case.

When I heard that Hedgepeth's murder was not thought to be random, it was encouraging to me. To me, that meant they already had a suspect in mind. Don't fret that they haven't made an arrest yet, Hucklepie. There are a lot of i's to dot and t's to cross before they can get enuff probable cause to present to a judge for him/her to authorize an arrest and possible and likely search warrants. They have got to have pretty solid evidence to present probable cause -- this is very important to protect the suspect's personal rights and to carry the case forward to trial. It can be tedious and slow sometimes.

They may be watching this person and waiting for him (if a male) to leave fingerprints or DNA so that they can make a comparison to some evidence at the scene; they could be laying a trap for him to leave same somewhere that they could capture and compare. It hasn't been very long since this horrible event happened. The suspect might be hiding somewhere away from his home.

Even though every murder case is very important to investigate fully and quickly, some cases receive more public attention than others, and no, it's not fair. But this case, like Eve's, is high profile, and it will receive a lot of attention -- so it will certainly get a lot of hours spent on it and be a priority investigation. Try to think positively and take encouragement from the attention that it is getting. Hang in there, Hucklepie, and I hope that you come to WS often.

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

As others have said, Carson's was indeed random and the two perps are sitting in jail.

I would not read anything bad into the new reward money. This money was put up by the board of trustees at UNC, I'm sure they would have done it sooner if they could but it takes some effort to coordinate approval by a board.

A reporter on JVM tonight said police are looking at a suspect or group of suspects. The articles talking about the sealed records report that several search warrants were sealed.

The fact that she was killed in her own apt and that they're telling the students not to worry says to me they have one or a couple of very good ideas about who might have done this. They apparently don't have the autopsy back yet so perhaps they're waiting for that. Or maybe they're just trying to build an air tight case. Given the attention this will get in the community, I'm sure they wouldn't want to risk blowing it.

For some reason, I feel confident this will be wrapped up in the near future. And believe me, I don't often get that feeling with the cases on here!

Right, I knew Eve's killers had been caught and sentenced - I wasn't suggesting that the cases might have been done by the same perps, just that the idea of two such brutal random crimes in a fairly small town is a little unnerving. I hope the police truly do have some suspects and there will be an arrest soon. Hopefully everyone else's confidence and hope will rub off on me a little.

Great coverage on Jane Velez Mitchell tonight!!!! Thanks for giving this story some coverage.

I heard about Faith's murder on JVM. It seems a week doesn't go by without hearing about another young woman or child being murdered or going missing.

My heart goes out to Faith's family and friends. I feel so sad that Faith senselessly lost her life. Whoever did this to her must pay and I hope they pay with their own life. I hate whoever did this, not what he did but him, and feel no mercy whatsoever towards who did this to a brilliant young woman. God tells us to forgive but to me it feels like all out war now - good versus evil. I heard the actor, Richard Gere, say he doesn't believe in evil and it dawned on me how people can delude themselves into believing the stupidest concepts. I wanted to shake him and say tell that to a mother whose daughter has just been murdered - a productive person who desired to give to the world - yet the one who did this is still walking around. Call it what you want, darkness or whatever, but I call it evil. If you don't acknowledge it, you deny how it tricks people and can destroy them. We must make our children aware of and afraid of evil so they can have a fighting chance through the knowledge that it does exist.

I don't understand what's happening to cause as many men who do kill women and harm children in the civilized world to do so. Nobody wins.

As others have posted, I pray LE has leads regarding who is responsible for murdering Faith. There is no justice in cases like this imo.

Woe, I call it evil, too. It could be propelled by jealousy, greed, revenge (I don't see that in Faith's case), just plain immature (no matter the age) stupidity, or any sort of wrong reasoning. It could be just plain meanness.

Looks like in this case, the perp(s) did take a lesson from Eve's killers in that he(they) wanted to leave no witness. Let's hope, though, that he/they at least left fingerprints or DNA or both. I think we all here on WS have seen this kind of evil before, but I still just cannot comprehend it. And yes, Woe, it seems there is no end of it.

But still I am a bit encouraged by the little bits we have heard so far -- it does sound like the LEO's have someone in mind.

Oh, and how her poor family must hurt. There are so many ripples in the water when a crime such as this is perpetrated. Grrrrrrr.

Bumping for Faith

Faith Hedgepeth was getting her life together; her death is a mystery

Read more here:
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

Family, Community Await Arrest in UNC-Chapel Hill Murder Case, Governor Increases Reward

To help entice someone to come forward, North Carolina Governor Beverly Perdue is offering an additional $10,000 for information leading to an arrest and conviction in Hedgepeth’s murder, bringing the total reward to $39,000.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwor...-reward-145735

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

Still unsolved.

Hiya, gracielee!!

So good to see your little name here! Hope you, your DH, and all the rest of your family are all doing just fine.

Have you been keeping up with this case, or just getting started? No matter, we don't really know much about anything. I hope we'll hear from LE about a possible perp soon!

Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast