892 users online (159 members and 733 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
    Douglas Garland triple-murder trial hears victims' DNA found on hacksaw, rubber boots, accused's truck
    By Meghan Grant, CBC News Posted: Feb 07, 2017

DNA from Nathan O'Brien, 5, and his grandfather, Alvin Liknes was found on the hacksaw seized from the Garland farm. All three victims' DNA, including Kathy Liknes, was on rubber boots taken from the property. (Court exhibits)

DNA from a five-year-old boy and his grandparents was found on a pickup truck, a hacksaw and rubber boots seized from the Calgary-area farm where a triple-murder suspect lived with his elderly parents, jurors heard Tuesday.

Details of the evidence came as RCMP DNA analysis expert Vivian Mohrbutter testified about the results of tests done at the Liknes' home and the Garland farm, near Airdrie, Alta., where the Crown alleges the victims were killed.

Mohrbutter said DNA matches were found on the following items seized from the farm:

A shoe Garland was wearing at the time of his arrest: Alvin Liknes.
    A hacksaw: Nathan O'Brien and Alvin Liknes.
    Biological material found in the grass: Kathy Liknes.
    A fragment from ashes found in a burn barrel: Alvin Liknes.
    Meathooks: Kathy Liknes.
    A pair of rubber boots: Alvin and Kathy Liknes, and Nathan O'Brien.
    The bed of a green pickup truck and its licence plate: Kathy Liknes.
    A blood stain found on the wall of an outbuilding: Alvin and Kathy Liknes.

Douglas Garland triple-murder trial hears of bloody handprint on closet door
    By Meghan Grant, CBC News Posted: Feb 08, 2017

At knee-level on a closet door, a small bloody handprint was left behind in what appears to have been a violent struggle to get a five-year-old boy and his grandparents out of their home. DNA from the blood matched that of Nathan O'Brien, 5, and his grandmother Kathy Liknes.

[...]

The bloody handprint had swiped downward when it came into contact with the closet door, according to Sgt. Jody Arns, a blood pattern expert with the Calgary Police Service who testified on Wednesday.

​In several areas of the home, DNA from Nathan and Kathy was found mixed together. When Jennifer O'Brien left her son at her parents' home, the grandmother and grandson were sleeping in the same bed together.

Both Alvin and Kathy were dragged through parts of the house, Arns said.

Based on her analysis of the bloodstains, Arns said there were four areas of the home where Kathy was "positioned while actively bleeding" and three areas Alvin would have lost significant amounts of blood while stationary.

Douglas Garland will not testify in own defence at triple murder trial
    By Meghan Grant, CBC News Posted: Feb 09, 2017

Douglas Garland will not testify in his own defence at his triple-murder trial in Calgary, jurors heard Thursday after the Crown wrapped four weeks of testimony from dozens of witnesses with dramatic video of the accused being chased through a farm field at night.

[...]

Crown prosecutors Shane Parker and Vicki Faulkner have called about 60 witnesses, ending with Calgary police Const. Jamie Parhar.

Parhar was a rookie street-beat officer who volunteered to help with the investigation in July 2014 after the five-year-old boy and his grandparents disappeared.

Parhar told court Thursday that she found herself tracking Garland alone after getting separated from her partner, jogging through waist-high brush in a farmer's field in the pitch black.

[...]

The only radio Parhar and her partner had was tuned to an encrypted channel with surveillance officers and an officer in a HAWCS helicopter tracking Garland's movements.

Parhar and her partner tried to conduct the traffic stop but Garland drove the rental car into a farmer's field just north of where he lived, got out and took off running through the field, she told the jury.

Garland running, crawling, hiding

The police officers followed into the field and then got out of their Crown Victoria and began to follow Garland on foot.

Const. Lane Trim, a tactical officer in the HAWCS helicopter was using military quality night-vision technology to guide Parhar who had lost her partner and was, by then, following Garland by herself. She was told over the radio that Garland was running, crawling and "attempting to remain concealed."

Video at link^^^
    Last edited by Coldpizza; 02-10-2017 at 11:07 AM.

What the Garland murder trial jury didn't hear: His meth lab, identity theft and mental health issues
    By Meghan Grant, CBC News Posted: Feb 15, 2017

As a young man, he had aspirations to be a doctor. He attended medical school in Alberta for one year before suffering a mental breakdown, according to a Tax Court of Canada document.

But there is more to the story of Garland's failed attempt at med school, according to two former classmates who attended the University of Alberta at the same time as he did in 1987. Garland was suspected of cheating in his first few months in the program. One of his professors set him up on a test and caught him in the act, say the former classmates.

After being voted class president just months earlier, he was kicked out of medical school.

Criminal allegations

Garland faced criminal charges in the late '80s and '90s, but they were either stayed or withdrawn. Among them were two counts of possession of a prohibited weapon in 1988 and 1999 and an assault charge in 1989.

In 1992, RCMP busted an elaborate methamphetamine lab on the Airdrie farm where Garland lived with his parents. The 33-year-old was charged with drug trafficking and possession of stolen property.

Douglas Garland found guilty of murdering Calgary boy and grandparents
    By Meghan Grant, Drew Anderson, CBC News Posted: Feb 16, 2017

A Calgary jury has found Douglas Garland guilty of three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of a five-year-old boy and his grandparents after deliberating for 8 hours.

Family members of the victims cried when the verdicts were read out, but Garland showed no reaction.

Justice David Gates told jurors they could recommend consecutive life terms, which would mean Garland would not be allowed to apply for parole for 75 years. After a short deliberation, 10 of the 12 jurors agreed to make that recommendation.

If the judge agrees, it would mean Garland would be tied with Justin Bourque for getting the stiffest sentence in Canada since the death penalty was abolished. Bourque pleaded guilty to three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of three Mounties and the attempted murder of two other RCMP officers in Moncton, N.B., in 2014.

Judge's sentence means 'cunning, cruel' murderer Douglas Garland will die in prison
    By Meghan Grant, Carly Stagg, CBC News Posted: Feb 16, 2017

'These acts display a character of evil; you can't rehabilitate evil,' Crown prosecutor told court

Friends and family of a slain Calgary couple and their grandson broke into applause as Douglas Garland was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 75 years.

Garland will die behind bars.

[...]

"It is difficult to conceive a more cunning, cruel and horrific set of circumstances of assault, abduction, torture and murder," the judge said to Garland.

"The horror and the terror you visited on these three innocent people extends almost beyond the boundaries of ordinary human comprehension. The circumstances defy description."

Gates described the murders as "brutal and senseless and planned."

He said there were no mitigating circumstances offered at the sentencing hearing and said Garland offered no remorse or regret.

The degree of moral blameworthiness in this case is "very, very high," the judge said.

Garland showed no visible emotion in the courtroom as the sentence was delivered.

'No words, no language': Douglas Garland victim impact statements
    By David Bell, CBC News Posted: Feb 17, 2017

Nathan O'Brien's mother, Jennifer O'Brien

Two and a half years removed from the tragedy, I still fight the darkness that threatens to take me down. It seems the pain is never ending, something that I did not ask for, resulting in heartache that has not lessened since the murder. Our family has faced public pain and our privacy completely taken. I still hurt and ache. My feelings seem to change day by day. Some days I am angry, some days I just cry and other days I feel like a superhero knowing I am choosing to continue my life. The life I had before will forever be altered. The first one stopped the moment I walked in my parent's house. It is not possible to go back to my old life because it has been distorted and torn apart. I have had to seek out a new way of life, a completely new way of living.

Nathan O'Brien's father, Rod O'Brien

It is impossible to ever formulate any words in any language to describe the pain and loss of what Nathan had to endure or the devastation that is left behind by never, ever being able to see our son again. No words, no language, it is not humanly possible to describe the loss of Nathan.

Brotherly impact:

Nathan's brothers are his best friends and he was and is the bridge of our family. Nathan's older brother was who Nathan looked up to and wanted to be with and idolized. They were the very best of friends and always looked out for one another. They played together and were the kindest brothers had ever seen to one another. They played and played and played as brothers should.

Alvin Liknes' brother, Allen Liknes, Sr.

I want to thank everyone that was involved in the process of seeing this through the investigation and the court process. I thank God his family turned him in.

Alvin and Kathy Liknes' son, Jeff Liknes

There is not a day I wake up and do not think about what was taken from me. I still often get dreams about them and feel the happiness I did when they were around. Then reality steps in and I feel the weight of the world that I will never get used to drop on me. I will feel that every day for the rest of my life for no reason at all.

Alvin Liknes' daughter, Nancy Liknes

Just after his fifth birthday, my son and I were in our kitchen having lunch when, out of the blue, he asked me about his cousin Nathan. "Mom," he wondered aloud, "How can a kid who is only five years old die?" Startled, I took a breath and in the pause that followed, he became more specific.

"What happened to Nathan? How did he die?"

I didn't want to terrify him with the truth about vicious acts of utterly, dehumanized cowardice and cruelty. Acts perpetrated over nothing, although of course there could never be any reason to do such things.

Full impact statements at link^^^

"Douglas Garland has asked Alberta's highest court to overturn his convictions and sentence on three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of a five-year-old Calgary boy and his grandparents.

Lawyers Kim Ross, Jim Lutz and Alias Sanders filed the notice of appeal at the Alberta Court of Appeal on Friday.

Garland's appeal argues the trial judge overemphasized the graphic nature of the evidence.

"The trial judge's comments to the jury about coping with disturbing evidence reflected bias, was prejudicial to the defence's case and undermined the presumption of innocence," reads the document.

The notice of appeal argues Garland's sentence of three consecutive parole ineligibilities is "excessive and harsh" and says the victim impact statements "exceeded the scope" of what is allowed according to the Criminal Code.

Garland is also appealing on the grounds that the judge should not have allowed evidence to go before the jury that had been gathered from the Airdrie farm where he lived with his parents. Ross and Lutz had argued before the trial that police didn't have a proper search warrant to gather that evidence.

He is back at the Edmonton prison after spending several days in hospital"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rien-1.4027830

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11