Bride & Groom: 'We're crowdfunding our wedding'

al66pine

Reaction score
"As weddings get more and more expensive, some couples are turning to friends, relatives and even strangers to help pay for their big day. Unable to afford a wedding on their own or with the help of their parents, couples are mounting campaigns on crowdfunding websites asking for financial help."
"Detroit resident Elizabeth Rodriquez, 22, and her fiancé Otoniel Cabrera, 26, turned to crowdfunding site ******** in January -- soon after Cabrera lost his job. So far, the couple has raised around $4,200 from seven donors, which will go toward their
$28,000 wedding in April 2015."

".... 1,500 wedding-related campaigns that have been launched on ********.com since 2010."
Read more: http://www.wlky.com/money/-We-re-crowdfunding-our-wedding/26821782#ixzz36oevgkmq
BBM, UBM, SBM

Okay, so this has been going on for a while (2010).
What will bride and groom's next request be?
Crowdsourcing a down payment on big, new home?
Mortgage payments?
Utility bills?
What about new wheels?
Can all of us click paypal every month for these lovely couples?
End sarc.:twocents:

This really pizzes me off. Groom-to-be loses his job but, of course, they can't delay the wedding date or scale back from the $28,000 price tag for this wedding.....so they want everyone else to donate to their cause. GMAB plz! Selfish, selfish, selfish!

$28,000 for a wedding for an unemployed groom, a delusion bride, a couple who has no idea how to create a budget or to prioritize "needs" over "wants" is ridiculous. If they truly loved each other then they would know that it doesn't matter how fancy the wedding is. They definitely don't sound mature enough to be married.

Immature and selfish with skewed priorities. Not a good foundation for a lasting marriage.

This is definitely representative of the me, me, me mentality that is taking our society to he** in a hand basket. And what becomes of the $4,000 + they've already collected should these 2 immature people decide to part ways? These two (and those who actually donate to this fund) are definitely cra cra.

JMO

Remember the "good ole' days" when if you couldn't afford a $28,000 wedding...YOU DIDN'T HAVE ONE THAT EXPENSIVE?!? I agree, Sweetgrits, it is all cra-cra!

This is ridiculous, as I think if you can't afford a $28,000 wedding, you should have a less expensive wedding, or just do the courthouse or Vegas wedding. :shame: I agree, these people are too immature to get married.

People are flat out crazy. $28,000 for a wedding, get real. Weddings have turned into productions.

Is this pair also going to expect the family/friends who are funding the wedding to buy them expensive shower and/or wedding gifts? How about the honeymoon? Seems like an elaborate $28K wedding warrants an equally lavish trip for the newlyweds.

This clueless couple needs a good swift kick in the :butthead: and a hard dose of reality.

Has anyone found a wedding registry? I checked BBB and Macy's and didn't find anything.

If you cannot afford the wedding, go down to the frickin courthouse and get married for under $100.

Absurd, but definitely part of the "me me me I want it now" mentality that seems to be prevalent in society.

If you can't afford the wedding, you can't afford the marriage, either. Time to take off the rose-colored glasses and do the common sense thing: get a job, get financially stabilized and THEN think about marriage.

If you can't afford the wedding, you can't afford the marriage, either. Time to take off the rose-colored glasses and do the common sense thing: get a job, get financially stabilized and THEN think about marriage.

You know I really like this statement -- so often people make it about the wedding. Yes, I get that it's a once-in-a-lifetime (hopefully) experience & people want to make it the wedding of their dreams. However, it can become a "keeping up with the Joneses" type of thing too.

My mom told me back in '98 that we had a 5k budget.... at one point she suggested that (ex)DH & I elope, take extended honeymoon, pocket extra cash, etc -- and boy I wish I had because I wanted it very simple but SHE was the one that fell in love with every idea & image that she came across -- if she had her way it would have been a way-over-budget and just plain gawdy wedding (IMO).

While travelling recently I saw a nice young couple at the Cracker Barrel in Joplin, MO meeting the rest of their family (total people came in TWO cars) for their "reception" meal. They looked more in love than I think ex-DH and I ever were.

Anyway, I think I'm going to check into this crowd-funding thing and see what I can get someone else to pay for just because it's always been my dream ... NOT.

ETA: I don't think you have to put off the marriage -- it is supposed to be about the marriage, right? You can always do it cheap now and renew vows later when you're more established and go all out if you still feel the need.... IMO

Actually I saw a newly wed couple asking for people to help them get a $10,000 downpayment for a house. Wow. I can't imagine having the nerve.

Lol go to the courthouse, fools. Or if you must have a church wedding, just get yourselves an appointment and a witness to show up with you. I know in the Catholic Church they cannot charge for a sacrament, they just do the ceremony at the altar with your witnesses, and someone hands Father a $25 donation at the end. I can't imagine other churches would be different?

They just want the show. Dopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband and I got married in a courthouse, then had a lunch at Perkins for whoever wanted to come. We are just as married as someone who spent tens of thousands on a wedding.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back