CAR SEAT discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irrelevant if he'd outgrown it height-wise, which apparently he had. You go by whichever milestone they reach first, not both.

It depends. Some rearfacing seats actually allow you to ignore the height limit if there is still an inch of shell between the top of the head and the top of the seat.

Would the padding on the seat not protect the back of his head?

The thought of him banging his head on that seat makes me so sad:(

Would the padding on the seat not protect the back of his head?

The thought of him banging his head on that seat makes me so sad:(

yes. it would. He could have gotten burns like rug burn from rubbing his little head over and over on it, out of fear and frustration or he cold have scratched at his head.

This just sounds hideous. I can not image this poor child in that car.

It depends. Some rearfacing seats actually allow you to ignore the height limit if there is still an inch of shell between the top of the head and the top of the seat.

The Chicco Keyfit isn't one of those seats. If he had reached the 30 inch height limit (which according to the hearing he had) then the seat is outgrown, regardless of if he still had an inch of shell or not.

According to Britax, this is not correct. If child exceeds height/weight requirement, child is not safe in the seat.

We don't know for a fact he was actually strapped into the car seat. He was on the pavement when police arrived at the scene.

JMO

I know. My question, did we know for fact he was in a chicco key fit 30. Chicco has several infant seats.

Was the brand of the car seat listed in one of the warrants? Just wondering where LE stated it. TIA :)

Do you have a link?
I don't have a link, but if you do a google search of keyfit -30, the covers are very different. The red is brighter with no dark contrast pieces. It's a solid red cover with lighter colored infant insert.

discuss general car seat information here (provide links to any facts or case related information)

I don't have a link, but if you do a google search of keyfit -30, the covers are very different. The red is brighter with no dark contrast pieces. It's a solid red cover with lighter colored infant insert.

No need to google. My sister in law has the exact one that Cooper was in, and hers is NOT a key fit 30.

It depends on the seat manufacturer for sure. I am just trying to put aside the absolutes.

I don't believe at this point that because he was inches longer than the seat recommended that his head was over the back of the shell. I think it is more likely that his length was still in his legs not in his torso.

A google of "one inch rule keyfit30" will return many results, including parents statin that their 30" tall children still have inches above their heads in this model of seat and even many CpSTs saying that the height is only a guideline, and that the one inch rule is more important.
So while it is not likely he was under the 30" guideline, it is possible he still had shell above his head.

A google of "one inch rule keyfit30" will return many results, including parents statin that their 30" tall children still have inches above their heads in this model of seat and even many CpSTs saying that the height is only a guideline, and that the one inch rule is more important.
So while it is not likely he was under the 30" guideline, it is possible he still had shell above his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73