MN MN - Joe Zurnieden, 42, Minneapolis, 1 July 2014

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Joe Zurnieden
mpls-missing-man.jpg

Minneapolis Police Seek Help To Find Missing Man

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) –
The Minneapolis Police Department is asking for the public’s help to find a man who hasn’t been seen in about a week. Authorities said Joe Zurnieden, 42, was last seen on July 1 at his residence at about 6 a.m. The car he was driving has been located in the area of 26th Street and Marshall Avenue in northeast Minneapolis on July 3.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/07/08/minneapolis-police-seek-help-to-find-missing-man/

If you are not from here, it is easy to understand why you wouldn't know, but it is most likely that this man has drowned. A man was last seen going under water on the Mississippi river in downtown Mpls. the same morning and has not been recovered. Joe would have had plenty of time to go from where his car was found to the same area at the river .
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/...er-in-mississippi-river-near-nicollet-island/

from that article ceejaywu just posted:
"He goes for walks to clear his mind," she said. [his wife] "He would say that he didn't want to do all of his work in his fan. He liked to find beautiful spots to just think."

Work in his fan? Any idea what the means? If a typo, what else might it mean? Not sure it has any bearing on anything of course, just curious.

They owned a small business. A custom glass shop. Perhaps his business vehicle was a van? A typo or misheard?

I'm from the area and can't find Marshall Ave and 26th in Northeast MPLS on a map. The only Marshall Ave I'm finding is near St. Paul. Any locals can you direct me?

I'm from the area and can't find Marshall Ave and 26th in Northeast MPLS on a map. The only Marshall Ave I'm finding is near St. Paul. Any locals can you direct me?

Marshall Street is highway 23, I believe. It runs pretty much parallel to the Mississippi River, and 26th there should be a bit north of Lowry. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I haven't lived in the area in many years.

Yes, you're exactly right. On the map it looks like 26th street starts and stops due to a railroad... but if you keep following it all the way west to the river it intersects at the river with Marshall (which is also called 23).

http://www.kaaltv.com/article/stories/S3529943.shtml?cat=10151

"Did daddy go into the lake?" Wistful words from a three year old that tug at the hearts of those listening, especially for Keith Cormican who lost his brother. Personal pain drives Cormican's professional passion. A deputy in Wisconsin, he also runs' Bruce's Legacy, a search and rescue team named after his brother, a fallen firefighter...

Katy Zurnieden stopped taking part in the searches herself out of fear. "It all hit home, I can't be the one to find him, I have great memories and it can't be like that," said Zunieden.

Volunteers with Bruce's Legacy took over. Twice now, they've used sonar equipment and a robot to look underwater for Zurnieden, thinking he might be the victim of an accidental drowning. His body could be hung up near the lock and dam. However, what they found on this day was a cluster of cars.

Clift told the true story of a widespread community search in Minneapolis earlier this year for a friend of his - Joe Zurnieden - who went missing near the Mississippi River during a period of severe weather. Clift and others in the community reached out on social networks to connect with friends and other locals to help with the search; other friends used YouTube to tell Joe's story; and they used cloud tools such as Google Docs to share lists of assistance activities.

A range of other free and open source online tools were used in the search, Clift said, such as 10 sources of local maps, including OpenStreetMap; the activity recruitment tools SignUpGenius to organise people to help with the search and organise meals; and the free website tool Weebly to create a website to organise a fundraiser, for example.

Sadly, Joe was never found, but the high level of community support using these digital tools showed that we are now a society of "digital engagement based on necessity", he said: "It shows the way we use this medium when we have to.

http://www.ukauthority.com/news/500...ngagement-generation-says-e-democracy-pioneer

I only live a few miles from here and I am really disheartened that there have been no updates on Joe's case in the media. He is also not listed on the Minnesota Missing Person's Clearinghouse (https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bc...ative/Pages/missing-unidentified-persons.aspx) although there is an entry for him in NAMUS. I can't be the only person who finds it strange that a 40-something year old man disappeared in the middle of the day.

I only live a few miles from here and I am really disheartened that there have been no updates on Joe's case in the media. He is also not listed on the Minnesota Missing Person's Clearinghouse (https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bc...ative/Pages/missing-unidentified-persons.aspx) although there is an entry for him in NAMUS. I can't be the only person who finds it strange that a 40-something year old man disappeared in the middle of the day.

Did they ever identify the man who drowned in the Mississippi the morning Joe went missing?

I subscribe to BeenVerified. Not exactly great info. there, but it did show a record for Mr. Zurnieden being convicted of a misdemeanor the day before he went missing. It wasn't a big deal, but it was his fifth driving misdemeanor in four years. Maybe it depressed him.

MN: SPEED FASTER THAN REASONABLE AND PRUDENT
Court Case Number

27VB14271514201077

Court Date

06/30/2014

Court Disposition

CONVICTED Status:CONVERTED CLOSED

Court Level

PETTY MISDEMEANOR

Name on Record

JOSEF PETER ZURNIEDEN

Date of Birth