737 users online (99 members and 638 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

IN - Mandy LaBarge-Rhowe, newborn, Porter County, 1987

An Indiana couple who vanished in 1987 with their newborn child after her father was convicted of child battery have been arrested in Iowa after nearly 18 years on the run.

Roger LaBarge and his common-law wife, Kathy Rhowe, were found this week in Harpers Ferry, Iowa, after police detectives took a new look at the case following an inquiry by The Times of Munster about the long-missing girl.

Mandy had been on Indiana’s missing children’s list since 1987 — the second longest run in the state, the newspaper reported.

Her father was already on the run from the law when Rhowe gave birth to Mandy on Oct. 21, 1987, and soon joined him. A Porter County judge declared Mandy an endangered child, fearing she might be harmed when officials caught her parents.

LaBarge was convicted in August 1987 of child battery after prosecutors charged him with allegedly beating a 3-year-old daughter from another marriage with a belt, inflicting a ruptured bowel that required surgery.

Authorities in the northwestern Indiana county took custody of that girl and her two older brothers.

LaBarge, who was out on bond when the jury convicted him on child battery, fled as jurors were weighing evidence that he was a habitual offender.

Rhowe, who was wanted for failure to appear on a neglect of a child charge, fled after giving birth to Mandy.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...11/1006/NEWS01
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

The kids talk to their mother for the first time in 17 yrs

Two of the three children Kathy Rhowe left behind when she joined convicted child batterer Roger LaBarge on the run talked to Rhowe on the phone Thursday for the first time in more than 17 years.

With Charity Stevens, 21, the conversation was full of "I love yous" and plans to meet today at the Porter County Jail, where authorities locked up Rhowe and LaBarge after finally catching up with them Tuesday in Harpers Ferry, Iowa.

For Sam Hyre, 25, it was a different conversation.

"Yeah, sure. What do you want to know. Yeah, maybe some time." From the beginning of the call, he was trying to get off the phone.

"My girlfriend is sitting outside waiting for me," Hyre said from his grandmother's home in Palestine, Ill. "I have to run and get one of my daughters. You have a couple grandkids." Hyre is a single father with custody of his two daughters.

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articl...2300151c6d.txt
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

At first I thought that the father and daughter had had a baby together and he was charged for battery...escaped...and then she joined him

The article talks about the arrest of the mother and father but it doesn't say anything about what happened to the then newborn baby. Did they locate her/him somewhere too?

Can't say that I blame the son for his lack of interest. I think guys have a harder time forgiving parents that dessert their children then gals do a lot of the time. Here this son is a single parent who probably can't even imagine just taking off and leaving his girls behind for 17 years. He probably remembers more than his sister does though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel
    At first I thought that the father and daughter had had a baby together and he was charged for battery...escaped...and then she joined him

The article talks about the arrest of the mother and father but it doesn't say anything about what happened to the then newborn baby. Did they locate her/him somewhere too?

Can't say that I blame the son for his lack of interest. I think guys have a harder time forgiving parents that dessert their children then gals do a lot of the time. Here this son is a single parent who probably can't even imagine just taking off and leaving his girls behind for 17 years. He probably remembers more than his sister does though.
    Bobbisangel they covered that in the first link. Mandy is now 17 yo and has lived with her parents this whole time. She and her father sang together.
    There was even a webpage about them and their singing.

I just thought the story of the kids left behind was so sad. They ended up with their father and his wife and they had drug problems. Their older brother died. Their mother hadn't forgotten them, she looked for info on them online. It is so sad.

The two kids left behind got off LUCKY, it seems.

How to you beat a 3 year old child so severely, with a leather belt, that it ruptures her bowel and requires surgery? I can't even picture the physiology behind that.

Kudos to the son for rejecting his mother. For God's sake! She stood there for all that. I can't imagine.