Woman finds out on TV she is renting suspected serial killer's home

imamaze

Former Member
Reaction score
Oh my... can you imagine??????

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/...-out-on-tv-she-is-renting-serial-killers-home

A St. Louis woman discovered more than she ever wanted to know about the home she was renting -- while she was watching TV.

Catrina McGhaw signed a rental lease in March and said she had no idea about the home’s dark past. A family member told her to check out a cold case documentary on the A&E network about serial killers.

It was then she realized she was living in the same house that alleged serial killer Maury Travis used as a torture chamber more than a decade ago. The landlord even gave her the same dining room table that was documented in the crime scene photos.

Oh my... can you imagine??????

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/...-out-on-tv-she-is-renting-serial-killers-home

A St. Louis woman discovered more than she ever wanted to know about the home she was renting -- while she was watching TV.

Catrina McGhaw signed a rental lease in March and said she had no idea about the home’s dark past. A family member told her to check out a cold case documentary on the A&E network about serial killers.

It was then she realized she was living in the same house that alleged serial killer Maury Travis used as a torture chamber more than a decade ago. The landlord even gave her the same dining room table that was documented in the crime scene photos.

Wouldn't bother me.
I'd probably try to get my rent reduced though.

It's just a house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might become haunted. But then there are some people who would love to live in a house like this. I would have moved straight out, not waited until the end of the month.

Agree with Linda. Just another house.

Whoa. Did you guys watch the story video? It's not just another house when it still has that same nasty pink carpet shown in the videos the killer made of the woman chained to the pole. He raped them there. Their sweat and their bodies and fluids were on the nasty carpet! I usually am the one saying, eh, just a house. But this story was too creepy.

Whoa. Did you guys watch the story video? It's not just another house when it still has that same nasty pink carpet shown in the videos the killer made of the woman chained to the pole. He raped them there. Their sweat and their bodies and fluids were on the nasty carpet! I usually am the one saying, eh, just a house. But this story was too creepy.

yes, watched it, and still another house. It's not like that carpet can rape her too.:gaah:

I used to be a paranormal investigator. Objects, are just that. OBJECTS! ;)

In my state, real estate agents are required to disclose that a home has previously been the site of a murder or suicide. It's the law. (You don't have to disclose natural or accidental death.)

I agree with ziggy. I'm all for its just another house and objects can't hurt you but a lot of things in that house was there when the serial killer lived there, its his mom renting the place. The women were tortured in the basement, the same table is in the house. I find it very creepy. Just thinking about the terror those women went thru would be enough for me to leave. I wouldn't want to rent or buy a house like this.

I think I would want to know this info, also...

My state requires the same disclosure re: murder. I bought our home, and upon meeting the neighbors, one of the first things they said was that we weren't scared off by the murder that happened on the front lawn. (After spelling that out, maybe the law only applies if INSIDE the structure). Any way, the realtor may not have known - it happened 35+ years ago.

Additionally, a private rental agreement between two individuals may also be exempt.

ETA - article does state that no disclosure is required.

yikes

that would freak me out - think about standing in the same spot where women were raped & tortured, or sleeping in the same bedroom that he slept in, or using the same bathroom (same toilet seat & tub!!!) that he used, and eating off of the same dining table that he did!

It's SO creepy!!! I wonder if she got any bad vibes there

I firmly believe that objects/places hold emotional energy. Have you ever gone into a dwelling, of whatever kind, and just *felt* a certain emotion(s)?

I have gone into a home and felt sadness and depression that seemed to be oozing from the wall paper... I have also gone into homes that seemed to have cold, angry vibes, or very warm happy ones... Some churches have weirdness in the very foundation, others are immensely comforting...

Sights, scents, textures, and other, barely perceptible, sensory input can also linger long past the lives of those who left such traces... some people are more sensitive to these things than others. I would move out asap. jmo

I would not want to live there with the same carpet and table. Those things need to go.

I do not believe in haunting as in spirits of dead people who haven't left for the other world. However, knowing what happened in the house would haunt my thoughts. I would think about the crime and the victims more often than would be healthy (and that is coming from a WSer!).

I could maybe live in the house if something were done so I could be comfortable that the events had been laid to rest. Completely re-do the interior - for sure get rid of the carpet and table. Perhap reconfigure the doorways of the house that would make it a different space to enter and occupy. Bring in plants, outdoor bird feeders, new landscaping, etc. These are things a renter could not do on her own.

I would not be happy in that house. Nope.

I would not want to live there with the same carpet and table. Those things need to go.

I do not believe in haunting as in spirits of dead people who haven't left for the other world. However, knowing what happened in the house would haunt my thoughts. I would think about the crime and the victims more often than would be healthy (and that is coming from a WSer!).

I could maybe live in the house if something were done so I could be comfortable that the events had been laid to rest. Completely re-do the interior - for sure get rid of the carpet and table. Perhap reconfigure the doorways of the house that would make it a different space to enter and occupy. Bring in plants, outdoor bird feeders, new landscaping, etc. These are things a renter could not do on her own.

A native American friend of mine once told me that burning sage in a house is supposed to cleanse it of bad spirits/negative energy. My daughter's friends suggested at least trying burning incense. Can't hurt, could help. At least it would smell good...

I'm the same way. I don't think a place can be haunted but I know I would be obsessed with what had happened there. I visited UT in Austin and I don't think I could spend much time on the campus. I could not stop looking at that bell tower.

yikes

that would freak me out - think about standing in the same spot where women were raped & tortured, or sleeping in the same bedroom that he slept in, or using the same bathroom (same toilet seat & tub!!!) that he used, and eating off of the same dining table that he did!

It's SO creepy!!! I wonder if she got any bad vibes there

NO thanks! yikes! too creepy. Is the serial killer in jail?

A native American friend of mine once told me that burning sage in a house is supposed to cleanse it of bad spirits/negative energy. My daughter's friends suggested at least trying burning incense. Can't hurt, could help. At least it would smell good...

Yes, it's good for general cleansing as well. I especially like it on humid days when everything feels so wet and heavy - the smudging dries things out so the place feels fresh and clean. I smudge regularly.

I burn candles. Blame my Catholic upbringing. :)

I would be freaked out living there particularly as the home is still owned by the family and there might be a chance that a serial killer is associated with other disturbed individuals. But I guess she didn't sense any bad energies from the house itself or the landlord if she only found out on TV there was something wrong with the history?

Houses in England are hundreds of years old. There would not be a house 100 years old or older that has not had someone die in it.
Many houses would have had murders or serial killers in them, whether they were captured or not.
Many of the huge grand palaces which are being restored have had hundred killed in them. The new residents love the history.
It is all just a matter of where the houses are I think.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back