Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
BBM.
Nothing that would be considered a forest. There may be a few trees/bushes near the Elbow River, though. But not enough to conceal a body or bodies.
The crime scene is pretty close to the downtown area.

Anyone who is more local can probably give better insight than me.
I don't live in Calgary, but I do have general knowledge about the city.

Google streetview shows this at the end of their street (about 4 houses down from the Liknes' home):

It's the Elbow River Pathway (iirc) that runs alongside the river.

AMBER Alert issued for missing five-year-old from Calgary

Calgary police are investigating the disappearance of a five-year-old child and his grandparents from a home in the southwest and issued an AMBER Alert on Monday afternoon.

Police were called to a home in the 100 block of 38A Avenue SW at about 10:00 a.m. Monday by a mother who went to the home to pick up her son who was staying with his grandparents.

The three were not at the residence and have not been located despite efforts by police.

Investigators say evidence at the scene suggests their disappearance may be suspicious.
full article:
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/amber-alert-issued-for-missing-five-year-old-from-calgary-1.1893711

Thread#1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

*Media, Maps & Timeline*

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ia-Maps-amp-Timeline*&p=10713927#post10713927

Rules Etiquette & Information:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...iquette-amp-Information&p=8364858#post8364858

Nathan O'Brien Amber Alert: 'Person of interest' has criminal past, new charge
Douglas Garland faces identity theft charge in decades-old case, has link to Liknes family

Police took Garland into custody for questioning related to the search for five-year-old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes, and CBC News has learned police have charged him with stealing the identity of Matthew Kemper Hartley — a 14-year-old Alberta boy killed in a car crash in 1980.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/natha...terest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107

Timeline of events
BY ERIKA STARK

June 29: It’s the third day of the estate sale at Alvin and Kathryn Liknes’ home in Parkhill. Jennifer O’Brien, Kathryn’s daughter, visits the home with two of her children. At around 10 p.m., she leaves with her youngest son. Five-year-old Nathan O’Brien stays at his grandparents’ house for a sleepover.

June 30: Jennifer O’Brien returns to the Liknes house around 10 a.m. to pick up Nathan. No once is there. In the afternoon, police announce that they’re investigating what they say is the suspicious disappearance of Nathan and his grandparents. Around suppertime, an Amber Alert is issued for the missing trio. The alert prompts numerous calls to police, but yields no significant leads.

July 1: Police say they have a “big mystery” on their hands, and evidence at the Liknes home suggest that the three family members left the residence against their will. Police ask anyone who attended the estate sale between June 27 and 29 to contact them.

July 2: The parents of Nathan O’Brien make an emotional public plea for the return of their son at a press conference with police. “I know Grandma’s holding you so tightly right now and taking care of you and they are doing everything in their power to keep you safe, so I need you to ... stay strong Nathan,” says Jennifer O’Brien, clutching a T-shirt belonging to her missing son.

July 3: About 75 people attend a community hall meeting in Parkhill to talk to police about the estate sale. That afternoon, police say they’ve advanced the case in the last 24 hours, but it’s not sure how much progress has been made.

July 4: In the most revealing update yet from police, Staff Sgt. Doug Andrus says a violent struggle occurred inside the Liknes’ home before the three went missing. Police are searching for a green Ford F150 made in the late 1980s or early 1990s that was seen driving around Parkhill several times during the night of the disappearance.

July 5: Dozens of police officers fan out in the area around the Liknes’ home. The search is complete a few hours later. Soon after, a large police presence is seen at an acreage in the rural northeast corner of Airdrie, and in the evening, police confirm that the massive search at the property is related to the investigation. Police find a green truck matching the description of the one seen near the Liknes’ home at the scene and take one person in for questioning.

July 6: Police and RCMP continue their grid search of the Airdrie property, but release the person they’d taken for questioning from custody. The man, Douglas Garland, remains a person of interest. About 40 officers stand shoulder-to-shoulder as they slowly comb the fields around the home. In the afternoon, they tape off the area around a nearby pond and a police boat is seen briefly at the scene. Police remain on scene.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Amber+Alert+Timeline+events/10005882/story.html

Moving this over from the other thread:

Originally Posted by Andromeda
Thanks for the link, Lisap2003, but I couldn't find reference to them sending anything to the lab from the landfill. Acreage, yes. Landfill, no.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/09...calgary-police

Thank you, Menci! I've been assuming that LE has been trying to find anything disposed of from the L's residence. But LE could also be looking for anything thrown out from the acreage.

THe ex bf that shot ALs daughter....who was his attorney?

Did the perp know they had til 10 am on Monday to vacate the crime scene or is it coincidental that the drag mark was cleaned up outside and everything/everyone was gone from the house by the time JO arrived.

Did the perp know they had til 10 am on Monday to vacate the crime scene or is it coincidental that the drag mark was cleaned up outside and everything/everyone was gone from the house by the time JO arrived.

Im very curious to understand the comments made throughtout the threads about the "Drag Marks", Do we know if these drag marks are made by someone draging a human or is it possible that the marks were made by someone draging newly purchased furniture from the house to a waiting vehicle?

Just Wondering

Im very curious to understand the comments made throughtout the threads about the "Drag Marks", Do we know if these drag marks are made by someone draging a human or is it possible that the marks were made by someone draging newly purchased furniture from the house to a waiting vehicle?

Just Wondering

We do not know what causes the drag marks. We are only theorizing that they could be the marks made by dragging someone who was bleeding.
LE has not released forensic results with respect to the drag marks.
For all we know it "could" be caused by a leaky garbage bag, an air conditioner leak, a bottle of coolant that spilled, etc.

It is not my theory, that those particular marks in the drive way are connected with this disappearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I've been following along since thread #1 and am impressed with the work you've all done. You've been ahead of the media.

I've been thinking about the day kittymeow went to the Airdrie location (nice reporting, kittymeow!) and said that the police were asking for the word to be spread that they were there searching the property.

Why would they do that? After having already been there for about 12 hours with no one the wiser, except for the immediate neighbours. So first they wanted no publicity, then they wanted lots. Why not just contact the media themselves?

Could they have been trying to send someone a message via the media? Either to DG or a potential accomplice? Something like, we basically know what happened, we basically know who's involved, and we're going to get you. It just seems to me like it might have been some sort of pressure tactic.

Or maybe they were just trying to show the public that they've been making progress..... IDK

Snoopster said:
[2] Mr. Garland is in his mid-forties. He suffers from attention deficient disorder (ADD). It was clear that he was agitated throughout the trial, but it was also apparent that he was an intelligent individual. Mr. Garland attended medical school in Alberta for one year until he suffered a breakdown. He also seems to have been traumatized by causing what he described as a horrific accident due to falling asleep at the wheel.

If that is the only source, I'd presume DG only had 1 unsuccessful year of university, which he described to the court as "medical school". Med school students in their first year call it "third year".

He'd have to be an incredibly superb student and well rounded community individual to fast track the way Otto suggest. Not only that, but medical schools tend to reinforce their selection process by not letting their hand picked winners wash out so quickly or easily.

On the other hand, almost anyone can start a pre-med program and then flunk, cheat, or drop out.

Why this matters is because it can help determine if he was a top 1% genius with a well rounded life in the community, or if he was a below average student who couldn't complete his first year.

I think he would have thought he had til sunrise, not 10 am.

Just Wondering

Well going by the colour of the drag marks, and the fact they look like someone tried to clean them up it really does look like blood. But we can't be 100% positive until or if the police release that information. We are also pairing it with the LE saying there was a violent incident inside the house.

Would that apply to the post on the outdoorsman forum too? Because that possible sighting was very interesting.

No, that one hasn't been approved at this time. Thanks for asking! :smile:

Well going by the colour of the drag marks, and the fact they look like someone tried to clean them up it really does look like blood. But we can't be 100% positive until or if the police release that information. We are also pairing it with the LE saying there was a violent incident inside the house.

Is there a link or can someone post the picture of the drag marks please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member