745 users online (109 members and 636 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

CA - Erik Buran, 4, Reno, 21 April 2005

Erik was last seen on April 21, 2005. He may be in the company of his non-custodial mother and an adult male. They may be traveling in a motor home. Erik has four scars on his right elbow.

http://nvfc.us/content/view/284/55/

I see Erik has had 50 views but no one can comment on him, I guess because he has not been on the news or a talk show.

What a cutie. I think cases like this don't get near the attention because he's presumed to be taken by his non-custodial mother, yet it doesn't say he's in danger or why she doesn't have custody.

I tried to find any news on him and couldn't find any aside from the link posted...I actually didn't even find that on Google..... I've known some who don't have custody though, and if they took their child I would not think the child was in danger, although we have idea why the mother did not have custody.

I hope they can bring this little guy home safely to his father.

Thank you Sassygerl

I know the custody issue is a tough one, especially when most likely they family abduction has left the country. We just got this case yesterday so it is new to us. You never know with family abductions also if the child is taken for a reason, being abused in the home by the othe parent. There ought to be a program for parents that do take their children in a situation of abuse to be worked back into society so they do not have to remain on the run.

For the record, Erik is not classified as an abduction.

As a recently divorced mom, I think the majority of the time children are taken by non-custodial parents is out of spite. That person rationalizes that the mother (or father) isn't taking the best care of the child or is afraid of losing visitation or doesn't want to pay child support. So they just steal the child.

@calikid

I definitely agree that your assessment concurs with the majority. I do not have any statistics but the abuse situation that I mentioned above makes up a small percentage of these cases. IMO

Unhappy I am Erik's father

I am Erik’s father…..

I am Erik’s father. My beloved only child, Erik Haakon Buran, age 4, has been kidnapped and has been missing for 120 days. I need your help.

Erik’s mother and I separated six weeks after Erik’s birth. The issue was drugs: she does them and I don’t and I did not want Erik exposed. That issue became irreconcilable differences.

She took our six-week-old infant son and about $300,000. We subsequently both blew most of that money paying attorneys to fight in court. I ran out of money first and I now do my own legal work and I drive a taxicab to support my son and myself. But I am a straight-edged guy and I have never been arrested and I am a part time law student while driving a cab full time. I hope in three years to be a California Attorney.

The divorce and custody file is perhaps four feet thick and I know family law pretty well. I have written at least two hundred pages of briefs and motions. Among the things I complained to the court about were Erik’s positive illicit drug tests as a result of being breast fed by his mother past his third birthday. Some have said to me, “Why did they let her keep him?” but I was always fighting her well-paid attorney and “mother bias”.

Erik is a happy and very bright child and we had a very special relationship. He is my only child. When I had joint custody of him I cared for him three days a week and worked four days. That was my life, work and my son. I did not mind; I loved my beautiful little son and my son adored his Daddy.

And recently I started making progress with the court. Erik complained to me that he was being hit a lot by his mother’s live in boy friend. I complained to Child Protective Services and finally in suspending his mother’s custody rights the court stated, “Robert convinces the Court that there is a risk of immediate harm to the minor child” and furthermore I had the backing of the County C.P.S. I gained full custody of my son for the second time in two years.

After marriage to me the mother was married to another guy for less than one year. That fourth husband who had never married previously and had no children spent over $40,000 in legal fees attempting to remove my joint custody rights. But without an attorney I retained legal joint custody of my only child. And in the end that forth husband had to hire an attorney for himself and had to get his marriage to Erik’s mother annulled for fraud.

My son was kidnapped on April 21, 2005 by the mother’s boyfriend. The non-custodial mother who has been arrested six times and convicted four times for alcohol related offences including domestic violence, was not with this boyfriend when he was taken from my Reno apartment. We know practically nothing about this man. In sworn documents filed with the court he gave a non-existent Reno address. He has bullet scars on his body and told people he was a paratrooper during the Viet Nam War. An investigator for Nevada Child Finders checked this out with the Veterans Administration. The man was never a veteran!

The non-custodial mother, my son and the boyfriend abandoned their Fernley Nevada home on April 25, 2005 leaving most everything including a half of a garage full of my son’s toys. The people that saw the interior of the home agreed it was not an organized exit. There were half packed bags all over the place. It was like they decided to move and then fled in just a few hours. What were they running from? Nobody seems to know, but I had complained to CPS about the boyfriend physically abusing my son only 10 days previously. 30 days prior to the kidnapping I filed a similar complaint with the family court.

They fled in a just-purchased motor home on April 25, 2005 without a trace. It has been over 120 days and nobody knows where he or she or my son is. They did not work and they have little money unless they are drug dealing. We do not have the tag numbers on the motor home or even a vehicle description. They have guns and the mother has several arrests and convictions for violence. I filed copies of all the police reports with the family court in February.

I now have sole custody, but my son is gone. Police think the boyfriend may be working on a horse ranch in Texas, not specified, so the Texas Department of Public Safety has Erik on their web site and is checking “Texas horse ranches”.

The non-custodial mother has also been in a mental hospital and is suicidal and violent. She told friends, “If I cannot have Erik, then nobody shall have Erik”. Within a month of the abduction my son once screamed in her presence, “I do not want to go with Momma today”. He seemed to be rejecting his own mother. My deepest fear is a murder suicide or that the mother, out of spite or revenge, will sell my son for needed cash or abandon him. People tell that is crazy and I should not worry about this, but I have horrible reoccurring nightmares of finding him wrapped in a plastic bag in a garbage can.

I know this is very ugly, but out of honesty I will not sweeten my terror surrounding this kidnapping. This is not a nice couple who has taken this little boy and who will rent a nice house someplace, enroll him in school and take him to church on Sundays.

The police and society in general believe this child is probably safe with his mother. I disagree and believe that his life is very much in danger.

My son is very bright and I think he understood what was at stake. Without prompting he said things about his mother that I will not repeat here because they will offend some and perhaps not be believed. But my son had developed sophistication well beyond four years of age. When asked he would tell people, “I only have a Daddy’.

But the most heart wrenching thing that my son ever said I heard on April 21, 2005. The non-custodial mother’s boyfriend who was already the subject of investigation for abuse of my son came without the mother to pick up my son for four days of visitation. Erik cried out, “Daddy I don’t want to go with Steven. Please call the judge and let me stay with you just one more day”. Steven promised to return my son in four days, but that was the last time I saw him. My son’s pleading to stay “just one more day" haunts me. I never got to say goodbye to my beautiful only child.

A couple weeks ago we thought they were in New Mexico, but that turned out to be a hoax. Now we think they may be in Texas. But where?

I have been told the mother dresses him as a girl to disguise him. Others have told me he is in Mexico. I report all these things to the police and give them the names of the people that say these things. But to date nobody can figure out where my son is and we have no good leads.

In June the Lyon County (Nevada) prosecutor issued a felony warrant against the non-custodial mother for Kidnapping that is cross-referenced with my son’s entry into the National Crime Center as a missing person. I am trying to get them to issue a warrant for the boyfriend as well.

I am presently also trying to get a UFAP warrant issued. That is an acronym for Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution. I must convince the local or state prosecutor to petition the US attorney to issue such a warrant. That will then bring the F.B.I. into the case. The Nevada Office of the Attorney General has already submitted some of my material to the FBI and they are looking at it, but no word yet.

I am also trying to get an amber alert out. This is difficult to do because amber alerts are not normally issued for parent abductions. However, I believe my son is in grave danger and I have an order saying the court agrees my son is at risk for immediate harm.

To me he is the most beautiful boy in the world. Erik loved trains and referred to himself as a “train nut”. Much of our time together was spent riding trains, looking at old trains and playing with trains. But now when I hear the whistle of a train I just want to scream; it makes me feel so lonely and helpless. I try to keep my sanity by focusing on writing letters to the right people. Nevada Child Seekers has been very helpful. I have registered Erik with four child find organizations.

You can see everything and even read a newspaper article by typing “Erik Buran” into a Google search engine.

I feel like I have tried everything, but I am open for suggestions and I will try again.

I have to believe my son will be found alive and safe and that he will soon be returned to his loving Daddy.

-An Anguished Father of a Missing Child

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    My prayers are with you and your son. May you soon be reunited.

Quote Originally Posted by nvfc
    I see Erik has had 50 views but no one can comment on him, I guess because he has not been on the news or a talk show.
    Aug. 10th

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/...NEWS/108100068

Unhappy Update on Erik Buran, endangered missing 4 year-old boy

I am Erik’s father…..

I am Erik’s father. My beloved only child, Erik Haakon Buran, age 4, has been kidnapped and has been missing for 120 days. I need your help.

Erik’s mother and I separated six weeks after Erik’s birth. The issue was drugs: she does them and I don’t and I did not want Erik exposed. That issue became irreconcilable differences.

She took our six-week-old infant son and about $300,000. We subsequently both blew most of that money paying attorneys to fight in court. I ran out of money first and I now do my own legal work and I drive a taxicab to support my son and myself. But I am a straight-edged guy and I have never been arrested and I am a part time law student while driving a cab full time. I hope in three years to be a California Attorney.

The divorce and custody file is perhaps four feet thick and I know family law pretty well. I have written at least two hundred pages of briefs and motions. Among the things I complained to the court about were Erik’s positive illicit drug tests as a result of being breast fed by his mother past his third birthday. Some have said to me, “Why did they let her keep him?” but I was always fighting her well-paid attorney and “mother bias”.

Erik is a happy and very bright child and we had a very special relationship. He is my only child. When I had joint custody of him I cared for him three days a week and worked four days. That was my life, work and my son. I did not mind; I loved my beautiful little son and my son adored his Daddy.

And recently I started making progress with the court. Erik complained to me that he was being hit a lot by his mother’s live in boy friend. I complained to Child Protective Services and finally in suspending his mother’s custody rights the court stated, “Robert convinces the Court that there is a risk of immediate harm to the minor child” and furthermore I had the backing of the County C.P.S. I gained full custody of my son for the second time in two years.

After marriage to me the mother was married to another guy for less than one year. That fourth husband who had never married previously and had no children spent over $40,000 in legal fees attempting to remove my joint custody rights. But without an attorney I retained legal joint custody of my only child. And in the end that forth husband had to hire an attorney for himself and had to get his marriage to Erik’s mother annulled for fraud.

My son was kidnapped on April 21, 2005 by the mother’s boyfriend. The non-custodial mother who has been arrested six times and convicted four times for alcohol related offences including domestic violence, was not with this boyfriend when he was taken from my Reno apartment. We know practically nothing about this man. In sworn documents filed with the court he gave a non-existent Reno address. He has bullet scars on his body and told people he was a paratrooper during the Viet Nam War. An investigator for Nevada Child Finders checked this out with the Veterans Administration. The man was never a veteran!

The non-custodial mother, my son and the boyfriend abandoned their Fernley Nevada home on April 25, 2005 leaving most everything including a half of a garage full of my son’s toys. The people that saw the interior of the home agreed it was not an organized exit. There were half packed bags all over the place. It was like they decided to move and then fled in just a few hours. What were they running from? Nobody seems to know, but I had complained to CPS about the boyfriend physically abusing my son only 10 days previously. 30 days prior to the kidnapping I filed a similar complaint with the family court.

They fled in a just-purchased motor home on April 25, 2005 without a trace. It has been over 120 days and nobody knows where he or she or my son is. They did not work and they have little money unless they are drug dealing. We do not have the tag numbers on the motor home or even a vehicle description. They have guns and the mother has several arrests and convictions for violence. I filed copies of all the police reports with the family court in February.

I now have sole custody, but my son is gone. Police think the boyfriend may be working on a horse ranch in Texas, not specified, so the Texas Department of Public Safety has Erik on their web site and is checking “Texas horse ranches”.

The non-custodial mother has also been in a mental hospital and is suicidal and violent. She told friends, “If I cannot have Erik, then nobody shall have Erik”. Within a month of the abduction my son once screamed in her presence, “I do not want to go with Momma today”. He seemed to be rejecting his own mother. My deepest fear is a murder suicide or that the mother, out of spite or revenge, will sell my son for needed cash or abandon him. People tell that is crazy and I should not worry about this, but I have horrible reoccurring nightmares of finding him wrapped in a plastic bag in a garbage can.

I know this is very ugly, but out of honesty I will not sweeten my terror surrounding this kidnapping. This is not a nice couple who has taken this little boy and who will rent a nice house someplace, enroll him in school and take him to church on Sundays.

The police and society in general believe this child is probably safe with his mother. I disagree and believe that his life is very much in danger.

My son is very bright and I think he understood what was at stake. Without prompting he said things about his mother that I will not repeat here because they will offend some and perhaps not be believed. But my son had developed sophistication well beyond four years of age. When asked he would tell people, “I only have a Daddy’.

But the most heart wrenching thing that my son ever said I heard on April 21, 2005. The non-custodial mother’s boyfriend who was already the subject of investigation for abuse of my son came without the mother to pick up my son for four days of visitation. Erik cried out, “Daddy I don’t want to go with Steven. Please call the judge and let me stay with you just one more day”. Steven promised to return my son in four days, but that was the last time I saw him. My son’s pleading to stay “just one more day" haunts me. I never got to say goodbye to my beautiful only child.

A couple weeks ago we thought they were in New Mexico, but that turned out to be a hoax. Now we think they may be in Texas. But where?

I have been told the mother dresses him as a girl to disguise him. Others have told me he is in Mexico. I report all these things to the police and give them the names of the people that say these things. But to date nobody can figure out where my son is and we have no good leads.

In June the Lyon County (Nevada) prosecutor issued a felony warrant against the non-custodial mother for Kidnapping that is cross-referenced with my son’s entry into the National Crime Center as a missing person. I am trying to get them to issue a warrant for the boyfriend as well.

I am presently also trying to get a UFAP warrant issued. That is an acronym for Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution. I must convince the local or state prosecutor to petition the US attorney to issue such a warrant. That will then bring the F.B.I. into the case. The Nevada Office of the Attorney General has already submitted some of my material to the FBI and they are looking at it, but no word yet.

I am also trying to get an amber alert out. This is difficult to do because amber alerts are not normally issued for parent abductions. However, I believe my son is in grave danger and I have an order saying the court agrees my son is at risk for immediate harm.

Much of our time together was spent riding trains, looking at old trains and playing with trains. But now when I hear the whistle of a train I just want to scream; it makes me feel so lonely and helpless. I try to keep my sanity by focusing on writing letters to the right people. Nevada Child Seekers has been very helpful. I have registered Erik with four child find organizations.

You can see everything and even read a newspaper article by typing “Erik Buran” into a Google search engine.

I feel like I have tried everything, but I am open for suggestions and I will try again.

I have to believe my son will be found alive and safe and that he will soon be returned to his loving Daddy.

-An Anguished Father of a Missing Child

First, can you provide a link to an article from media? An article helps us in verifying certain info.
    Second, did the police file an amber alert?
    Third, Has this been reported to NCMEC, missingkids.com? 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678).
    Fourth- has the FBI been contacted? Since you think that the child was taken across state lines, they should be contacted. You can find some info here: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/cac/kidnap.htm
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb
    Dad has just started a new thread. Could you post that link there? http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...828#post779828
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

tahoe....I am so sorry. I hope they find your sweet little boy safe and he can come home to you. Sending lots of prayers up for Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Dad has just started a new thread. Could you post that link there? http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...828#post779828
    Funny but today that link requires registration. It pretty much verified what the father posted here.

This link requires registration:
    http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/...NEWS/108100068

A Reno father is asking for the public's help in finding his 4-year-old son believed abducted by his mother in April.

Lyon County issued a warrant June 27 charging Karen O'Grady, 49, with felony kidnapping in the abduction of her son, Erik Buran, on April 25.

According to father, Robert Buran, he and his ex-wife have shared joint custody of Erik since their divorce in 2001. Buran had Erik three days a week, and O'Grady had him four days.

Just before the abduction, Buran had filed for sole custody of his son and had lodged a complaint with Child Protective Services alleging O'Grady's boyfriend physically abused Erik. Since then, a Reno judge awarded Buran sole custody.

On April 21, Karen O'Grady's boyfriend, Steven Streight, allegedly picked up Erik from Buran's Reno home and took the boy to stay with O'Grady in Fernley until April 26.

"I expected him to bring Erik back five days later, and he never did," Buran said.

When he went to O'Grady's Concord Circle home in Fernley he discovered it nearly vacant.

"There were half-packed bags all over the place. It was like they decided to move then just fled in just a few hours," Buran said.

Neighbors told Buran that O'Grady, Streight and Erik drove off in a recently purchased motorhome.

and

• Erik Buran is 4 years old, 3 feet, 6 inches tall, with bluish-grey eyes and sandy blonde hair.

• Karen O'Grady is 49 years old, 5 feet 4 inches tall, with blue eyes and brown hair. She also uses the last names of Akers, Buran and Ligon.
    Last edited by SewingDeb; 08-25-2005 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Add information

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast