TX - Texas now has LWOP option in murder cases!

LadyGraffix@mac.com

Reaction score
This may or may not be the place to put this, but this is a great thing and I just had to post it somewhere!

Texas withdraws parole option in murder cases
New law allows life without parole as option to execution

Friday, June 17, 2005 Posted: 7:58 PM EDT (2358 GMT)

"Governor Rick Perry signed the law that may allow juries to sentence murderers to life without parole.

"AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Gov. Rick Perry signed a law Friday to give juries the option of sentencing murderers to life without parole -- a measure some foes of capital punishment believe will lead to fewer executions in the No. 1 death penalty state."

More at link.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

When the laws regarding the death penalty for minors under 18 were changed LWOP became a huge issue here. Texans are a rather bloodthirsty bunch and it is well known we both use and apply the DP freely here. Prosecutors were afraid jurors would give people LWOP if they had a choice between that and death and so they fought for a long tome NOT to allow that option.
After the Supreme Court said we can't kill someone who was under 18 at the time of the crime AND we can't apply the death penalty to people who are obviously mentally challenged lawmakers were suddenly faced with letting anyone convicted and sentenced to die out of prison after 30 or 40 years if they were under 18 at the time of the crime or had an IQ under 60. We also have a number of DP cases in the courts due to various problems with the convictions, including using race as a jury selection criteria, sleeping defense attorneys and un-checked DNA evidence. Once someone is sentenced to die in Texas we like to make sure they die....no matter WHAT. LWOP gives prosecutors a way to keep these people in prison forever even if their DP is reversed.
Since we have found a number of innocent people on death row in the years since DNA testing has been available I think Americans are becoming less and less willing to apply the DP in cases without absolute evidence of guilt - which in my opinion should be the only way it is applied. LWOP is a way to convict without applying a sentence we cannot undo if we find we were wrong. I still think those who deserve the DP will be sentenced to die, and rightly so, but a suitable option for cases where there is even a shred of doubt was long overdue in Texas.

I just hope they do not start over using it now. Nothing makes me madder than seeing them send a child murderer to prison for LWOP. JMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back