871 users online (177 members and 694 guests)  

Websleuths News

Woman battles convicted pedophile for custody!

CHICAGO -- A battle is brewing over the custody of a young girl between a relative who wants to adopt her and her father, who's in prison for molesting her sister.

Unit 5's Renee Ferguson learned of a legal loophole that could have devastating consequences for children.

Debbie Campbell, who lives in suburban Chicago, said she was called two years ago by one of her Menominee Indian relatives to help rescue her 7-year-old cousin who was placed in foster care in Wisconsin.

"She was being locked in a closet, she was being beaten and just knocked around," Campbell said. "(She was) undernourished. She had no real clothes to speak of, not even a pair of underwear ... a few broken toys, very thin, very frightened."

Campbell became the girl's legal guardian and now says she wants to adopt.

But the girl's biological father, Robert Thunder, is not willing to give up his parental rights, even though he's in prison on child molestation charges, Ferguson reported.

I know this can happen, I have heard of it happening, but I still don't want to believe it can happen!
    This will be a legal mess as the child's residence was evidently in Wisconsin before she was moved to Illinois to be with the relative. So which states laws will apply? And if the Indian tribe gets involved, then it will be an even worse mess. From what I have read the Indian laws look at things a lot differently. Hopefully, the case will stay in the state courts and judge will be persuaded to the decision that it is in the child's best interest to stay with the relative.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight