1254 users online (226 members and 1028 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    IMHO, having so many different threads makes it confusing for newbies. I think there should be separate threads for Media Links, discussions regarding insurance policies/car seat safety/law, etc., but we also need a General Discussion thread.

I feel as though I'm missing out on having any real discussion about the case, because I'm spending so much time going back and forth between threads, trying to figure out the appropriate thread to read and to post in.

Trouble is, for the next several weeks, at least, we will be getting information in tiny dribs and drabs (which I respect in re: Georgia criminal procedure).. but we are all very interested in discussing what we DO know and speculating about what we don't. It's fun. And people come up with interesting ideas which I like to think about. Is it possible or too gnarly to have a GD thread where the first post covers the bare-bones facts and can easily be referred to because its on the same thread? And can be updated every 12 hours or so? JMO JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    I'm starting this thread to hash out some of the issues with specific threads, starting with the thread on Alternate Theories.

The posting requirements for that thread do not leave a lot of room for discussion of the possible theories and members are finding that frustrating. However, discussion surrounding some of the theories is derailing the thread and turning it into a general discussion thread. Other members find that frustrating.

We need some common ground so it works for the majority of us.

Please post your ideas on how to make the thread work here. You may also share ideas on any of the other threads. I know many are having a difficult time with the no general discussion threads also.

Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinSchmistin View Post
    I think new threads could be posted with more specific titles. One of the other boards I post on has tons of threads, then once the thread drops and isn't as busy as it started, similar threads can be consolidated.

Example: alternate theory 1: blah blah

Then another for other theories.

I wanted to post one for the segment I just saw on JVM on HLN that said LH lawyer is releasing a statement tonight.

So a thread for that. So it would amount to more total threads, but as long as the headings were informative, I think that would be much easier than wading through long threads.

Sent from my iPhone
    I don't think each theory needs it's own thread, naturally there will be some theories that attract more interest/ideas/passionate debate. Those would be the theories needing their own thread IMO. If you agree on an alt theory, I'd say hit the "like" button; if not, scroll on; if you have something to add that is detailed, start a thread on that theory. If it holds interest it will carry on. If not, it will die or never come to existence. A Natural selection forum if you will )

Quote Originally Posted by osu View Post
    IMHO, having so many different threads makes it confusing for newbies. I think there should be separate threads for Media Links, discussions regarding insurance policies/car seat safety/law, etc., but we also need a General Discussion thread.

I feel as though I'm missing out on having any real discussion about the case, because I'm spending so much time going back and forth between threads, trying to figure out the appropriate thread to read and to post in.
    Is it possible to have a sub- thread to the alt theory thread?

Quote Originally Posted by hopingicanhelp View Post
    It is difficult sometimes to stay specifically on topic per thread -- for instance, in discussing the 6 min phone call, some questions have been raised with regard to the movie -- sometimes it's hard to provide reasoning for one topic without explaining your theory behind another -- it can help AND it can derail. We need there to be discussion in order to understand each other, but I can understand the frustration of going through pages & pages of discussion that doesn't contain the info you wish to discuss.

Honestly I think we need a general discussion thread for those of us who would like to further explore and combine topics -- and we can help remind each other that if we're getting into discussion about a particular topic that has its own thread to take it over there. As we continue to add new specific topic threads, the general will get smaller. IMO
    This is what I find very difficult about it. It's the same way the Car seat discussion leads to the deafness, or the temperatures outside, or if it is feasible that he could forget him. It's so hard to stay on one and only one aspect of the case when discussing the case as a whole. Also, some threads feel vague as in "alternative theories" its so wide open its difficult for that to not become a GD thread. Or while discussing Leanne in the Leanne thread, its really hard not to discuss Ross and the six minute phone call and the movies....or their marriage or sexting.
    "All views are entitled to be aired, except Fake News and Conspiracy theories, those just suck and are not based in reality, It is through vigorous and constructive debate that together we will chart the path ahead." --Spice

Quote Originally Posted by Spice View Post
    This is what I find very difficult about it. It's the same way the Car seat discussion leads to the deafness, or the temperatures outside, or if it is feasible that he could forget him. It's so hard to stay on one and only one aspect of the case when discussing the case as a whole. Also, some threads feel vague as in "alternative theories" its so wide open its difficult for that to not become a GD thread. Or while discussing Leanne in the Leanne thread, its really hard not to discuss Ross and the six minute phone call and the movies....or their marriage or sexting.
    Having so many individual threads is great for some, but I like the big picture of general discussion. To me, all of the different threads with all of the different rules is overwhelming, as in I can no longer see the forest for the trees... branches... and each tiny individual leaf / thread.

I miss the GD thread.

With so little available information at this early stage of this case, not having a general discussion thread seems to limit the conversation.

I enjoy having topical threads as more information is released, and I also think a general discussion thread is useful during those times when we're all waiting on more information.

I understand why the general thread was shut down (bickering, tangents that had nothing at all to do with this case, etc.), but until more info comes out, I think the topical threads are going to be sparse.
    To understand the soul of a horse is the closest we humans can come to knowing perfection.

I'm on the fence regarding thread specific topics. The Heather Elvis case first brought me to WS. I lurked for months, and I was going to join...just wanted to get a feel for everything first. It started as a general thread, and then one day I came to lurk, and there were all these different threads! I was like, whoa! As a newbie, I found it overwhelming, and I did't register then. Honestly, it's probably why I haven't been following her case as much as I used to. I'm subscribed to her forum, and I read new posts, but I rarely, if ever (can't remember) posting there.

I didn't register on WS until I started following Relisha Rudd's case, a general thread (last time I checked) and that's when I started posting. Imo, the convo does flow better in a general thread.

Probably because of my experience with Heather's forum, I wasn't too overwhelmed when this one went thread-specific last night. It's more work to follow along though, imo. You go to a thread, read, maybe post, then go back to the main forum page, click on another thread and read/post, over and over. Not very user-friendly imo.

However, I can see value in breaking out certain topics - hence why I'm on the fence. For example, I am already convinced that JRH (or anybody else sitting in that tiny vehicle, moo) would see the carseat, and more specifically, they would see Cooper IN the carseat -- so for me, respectfully, I have no interest in the carseat thread.

IMO, I think we need to find a "happy medium," where we can discuss general topics, but not be bogged down by very specific topics. What is that happy medium? I don't know. Before last night, for me, it was the "scroll-n-roll" method.

Personally, I'm already used to the multiple threads, but I'm just hoping I don't lose interest like I did in Heather's case. Ok, let me rephrase that, I have not lost interest in Heather's case and I know I will not lose interest in Cooper, what I mean is that it might get so exhausting trying to keep up, that I just won't be involved in the forum as much as I used to. JMO. My worth.
    Last edited by Cinnamon; 07-15-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typo & changed "logged on" to "came to lurk" in 3rd sentence (wasn't a member yet, so I didn't log in)

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
    I'm on the fence regarding thread specific topics. The Heather Elvis case first brought me to WS. I lurked for months, and I was going to join...just wanted to get a feel for everything first. It started as a general thread, and then one day I logged on, and there were all these different threads! I was like, whoa! As a newbie, I found it overwhelming, and I did't register then. Honestly, it's probably why I haven't been following her case as much as I used to. I'm subscribed to her forum, and I read new posts, but I rarely, if ever (can't remember) posting there.

I didn't register on WS until I started following Relisha Rudd's case, a general thread (last time I checked) and that's when I started posting. Imo, the convo does flow better in general thread.

Probably because of my experience with Heather's forum, I wasn't too overwhelmed when this one went thread-specific last night. It's more work to follow along though, imo. You go to a thread, read, maybe post, then go back to the main forum page, click on another thread and read/post, over and over. Not very user-friendly imo.

However, I can see value in breaking out certain topics - hence why I'm on the fence. For example, I am already convinced that JRH (or anybody else sitting in that tiny vehicle) would see the carseat, and more specifically, they would see Cooper IN the carseat -- so for me, respectfully, I have no interest in the carseat thread.

IMO, I think we need to find a "happy medium," where we can discuss general topics, but not be bogged down by very specific topics. What is that happy medium? I don't know. Before last night, for me, it was the "scroll-n-roll" method.

Personally, I'm already used to the multiple threads, but I'm just hoping I don't lose interest like I did in Heather's case. Ok, let me rephrase that, I have not lost interest in Heather case and I know I will not lose interest in Cooper, what I mean is that it might get so exhausting trying to keep up, that I just won't be involved in the forum as much as I used to. JMO. My worth.
    I think you pretty much nailed my feelings on this too.

I miss the general discussion thread But it's not going to stop me from following this sad case

I especially hate that it ended on thread #13

I like even numbers
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

What I noticed in the GD thread was that of course sometimes it derailed (every thread does sometimes) and sometimes it was just fine and on topic and people would complain that it was derailing, when in reality it wasn't. I've seen both happen. And I saw the same thing happen in a specific thread today. (Alternate Theories).

Now the specific threads will kind of derail for the same reason, one aspect of the case, say the carseat, will lead to a question or comment about another aspect of the case Chik-Fil-A, the kiss goodbye, then the drive, then the lunch break, or the timeline. It's easier to derail a specific thread than it is general discussion. And breaking the discussion up into so many different threads seems to derail the conversation entirely by scattering it so much, the activity and conversation declines greatly. Then, you have to worry so much about derailing the specific threads, I don't even go into the Alternative Theory thread because I have no idea how to correctly post in it, so I just read it and don't bother to discuss.

Do I sound crazy or am I explaining it clearly?

Basically it feels like breaking it up to avoid derailing, derails the discussion even further.

Just my input.
    "All views are entitled to be aired, except Fake News and Conspiracy theories, those just suck and are not based in reality, It is through vigorous and constructive debate that together we will chart the path ahead." --Spice

Wow no ideas but I've just got to say this (websleuths) is the best ran forum I've ever participated in. All this effort to keep things on track. Great stuff

I much-preferred having a general discussion thread with specifics to the side. Nothing replaces the need for a general discussion thread- that is where so much comes together. JMO but I don't get as much of a meta-perspective from the specific threads.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo87 View Post
    Wow no ideas but I've just got to say this (websleuths) is the best ran forum I've ever participated in. All this effort to keep things on track. Great stuff
    lol ty Trying to live up to being democratic! always a work in progress............JMO

I was actually enjoying the Alternative Theories thread in all it's "imperfection"...but again, this is where our different personalities come in.

This case horrifies and puzzles me at the same time. I wake up at night trying to make sense of it...fit the pieces together.

I can't do it.

The other day, I wrote some long post and someone pointed out a flaw in my reasoning. I actually LOVE that...because I really, really want to make some sense of this horror. Being "right" in my opinion... is not anything at all! Nothing! I want people to help me fix where I am off track. This Board has so many great minds and great contributors. So a thread where we just read this theory, that theory, this other theory...that is not too interesting in my opinion.

We are "sleuthing"... That takes lots of eyes, ears, good thinking and lots of exchange of ideas. I guess I feel our goal is to try and use our respective input and outlook to try to figure this tragedy out. In the same way that the authorities and everyone who knows the family, or loved that child is trying to do.

That's more important to me than the "purity" of the thread.

Just my two cents.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast