722 users online (77 members and 645 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 102
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    556
    I think the alternative theory thread could be a discussion (Q&A) thread but keep it based on the theories that are posted.

    Maybe the word alternate/alternative was not the best way to describe it? Maybe a - What if it was Not intentional? thread.

    The majority of opinion is he did it intentionally - all facts and reasons point in that direction, it can be no other way.

    Since it is the majority view point, there will obviously be more posts and comments directed that way. It's been hard to get a post in edge wise though, with out an over ride. Almost to the point of having to justify/defend the post just to bring up the mere mention of a different possibility.

    We are all looking at the same facts, reading the same articles, watching the same videos and coming to a conclusion which may not be the same.

    Some are firm in their believes, some are on the fence, and some just want to discuss all angles regardless. No one way is correct, right, or wrong.
    One is not delusional, or not seeing the facts for what they truly are, if the conclusion is not the same as your own.

    I have to hand it to the mods, they are great at doing the difficult job they have.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    I think the alternative theory thread could be a discussion (Q&A) thread but keep it based on the theories that are posted.

    Maybe the word alternate/alternative was not the best way to describe it? Maybe a - What if it was Not intentional? thread.

    The majority of opinion is he did it intentionally - all facts and reasons point in that direction, it can be no other way.

    Since it is the majority view point, there will obviously be more posts and comments directed that way. It's been hard to get a post in edge wise though, with out an over ride. Almost to the point of having to justify/defend the post just to bring up the mere mention of a different possibility.

    We are all looking at the same facts, reading the same articles, watching the same videos and coming to a conclusion which may not be the same.

    Some are firm in their believes, some are on the fence, and some just want to discuss all angles regardless. No one way is correct, right, or wrong.
    One is not delusional, or not seeing the facts for what they truly are, if the conclusion is not the same as your own.

    I have to hand it to the mods, they are great at doing the difficult job they have.
    I think a thread titled Alternative Theories would almost have to consist of posts that would conclude that RH and or LH are innocent and that is fine but it leaves a lot of posters out of the discussion. IMO

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,720
    Do schools still sponsor debate teams? I wish they would. Disagreeing with a position taken by another ....is not disrespect...it's an intellectual exercise. It's about "testing" each other's conclusions by looking at flaws in arguments and incorrect "facts." Everyone gets "nipped" at points in a good debate.

    The idea isn't even to "convince" the other side. It's a way to actually strengthen your own position ....to accept the weaknesses, respond to them, or remove them from your argument and ....carry on.

    Debate should be a mutual exercise in clarification. What's the point in these theories if they can have errors that nobody can point out? Where does that get us as sleuthers?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,632
    As I understand, the rule is "attack the post, not the poster". Seems pretty cut and dry, imo.

    No need for an alternate theory thread.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,281
    I respectfully and simply ask for the general discussion thread back with MAYBE stricter warnings about --- baiting, snark, rudeness and a warning for those arguing with posters for no specific reason except to argue.

    PULEASEEEEE SALEM and other mods and admin?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,329
    Q In which thread would it be appropriate to mention a possible date that RH had in feb 2014?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DofC
    Posts
    22,011
    Maybe his social media?
    __________
    “Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet.” - Maya Angelou

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by kimlynn View Post
    I think a thread titled Alternative Theories would almost have to consist of posts that would conclude that RH and or LH are innocent and that is fine but it leaves a lot of posters out of the discussion. IMO
    regarding BBM: If it was just an innocent thread, your right there may not be many posters. There may not be any posters.

    I thought that the Alternative Theories thread was set up to have different theories posted, discussed, questioned that was different from the RH intended to kill Cooper theory. Not that it can only be discussed why they are innocent, or that the theories can not have questions asked.

    I'm not sure I'm explaining it correctly? I just saw that the general thread was hard to discuss varied view points if it did not lead back to RH purposely killed

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,472
    Ok, so I stated upthread that I'm already used to the thread specific topics, and I am, but that doesn't mean that I like them! Just spent 10 minutes looking for a post I read earlier, couldn't reply when I read it, and now I can't find it to reply...I give up! All this clicking back and forth, scrolling through pages of posts, is making me dizzy, literally. I have to go cook dinner anyway, so this is good time to log off. Think I'll take a break tonight. Goodnight, all!

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    regarding BBM: If it was just an innocent thread, your right there may not be many posters. There may not be any posters.

    I thought that the Alternative Theories thread was set up to have different theories posted, discussed, questioned that was different from the RH intended to kill Cooper theory. Not that it can only be discussed why they are innocent, or that the theories can not have questions asked.

    I'm not sure I'm explaining it correctly? I just saw that the general thread was hard to discuss varied view points if it did not lead back to RH purposely killed
    I think the AT thread could be limiting because in this case (and maybe I lack imagination) it could only be one way or the other. RH intended to cause the death of Cooper,or it was a terrible accident caused by being forgetful.
    Not many other options as we know that RH left the child in the car.
    When the majority seem to think it was intentional and you have a specific thread asking for alternatives,it would lead me to conclude that the thread is asking for other possibilities aside from what it seems the majority feels to be guilt.
    I actually think the thread was a good idea as it would give the minority a place to discuss other options without feeling piled on.
    Trust me...I have been the minority in a few cases and it isn't easy so I do understand.
    IMO


  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,632
    When I have been "in the minority", I stepped back and analyzed why- and either put on my big girl panties and dealt with it, or figured out that I was wrong.

    The charges brought in this case have been explained ad nauseum,imo. Intent is not required.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    71,534
    I think the theories get lost in all the replies and debating. Some people don't have time to wade through a whole page of reply posts in order to read the next theory. That said, I think an alternate theory thread with no discussion would be nice. As someone else posted, you can either thank the post or scroll on by.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    Maybe I should clarify what it was that I wanted when I started that thread. I wanted a place where people would be free to post their ideas about what may have happened without it turning into 10+ pages of posts full of insults, criticism, name-calling (mostly calling the parents names, but not entirely), and all of the other things that were going on in the general discussion threads. I don't think most people realize how much work it takes and time it wastes just trying to keep the worst out of here. I know I worked as a moderator for a site with a similar number of posters and in addition to what other moderators did, I was putting in 300-350 hours a month on a voluntary position. That was usually at least double the time I spent on my paid position I had at the same time - for the record, I had agreed to work for a minimum of 6 hours/week, but I happened to be around most often when trouble came up.

    I admit that I've done my share of arguing, and I've added to the workload here more than once, but I've been trying to help find a way for everybody to feel comfortable sharing their thoughts without sending Salem to the nuthouse. Maybe it could just be like the media thread. People post their theories and use that thread as reference for the others. Alternate was probably not the right word to use. I don't see any reason why someone who believes the same as the majority here do couldn't also put that theory in there. I just want differing (?) ideas rather than just everybody sitting around talking about what slugs the people involved are.

    Hope that makes more sense.
    Last edited by Confusion; 07-15-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    Every murderer is someone's old friend ... Agatha Christie

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,281
    Being in the majority or minority is not the case for arguing. The minority in this case are the ones arguing nonstop about what is and isn't proof of guilt and/ or intent.
    This isn't a court of law.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36,100
    if the alternate theories thread is only for voicing and discussing alternate theories - what constitutes "alternate"?

    My theory is highly grounded in the evidence, timeline and apparent LE theory at this time. So it would not be considered "alternate" I do not think. As a result I have not posted in that thread as I do not want my fellow members to feel I am derailing or posting off topic.

    I guess my question is, where do we discuss non alternate theories??
    Websleuths now on Facebook

    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. *graphic and adult content* Jodi Arias Trial media/ timeline thread **no discussion**
    By TigerBalm in forum Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias
    Replies: 1592
    Last Post: 07-06-2017, 08:37 PM
  2. North Korea issues unusually specific threat 4/23/12
    By dsntslp in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 06:04 AM
  3. "a specific tool ...designed for a specific audience."
    By pufnstuf in forum Kyron Horman
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: 09-19-2010, 11:53 PM
  4. Replies: 277
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 11:07 AM