1532 users online (291 members and 1241 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 91 to 102 of 102
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,075
    Quote Originally Posted by who knew? View Post
    I 100% agree with you on EVERY point - especially the bolded part. I rarely come into a case with my mind made up - it's only after reading other opinions, hearing locals' views, reading the links that are posted, and the news that I make up my mind (speculate) whether someone is innocent or guilty. It's not unusual for me to read the threads for a while before I ever start posting.

    Look at the Casey Anthony case - there weren't many who thought she was innocent. And 12 jurors said she wasn't guilty. I lost faith in the judicial system with that case because IMO it didn't work. BUT, I read Jose Baez's book - and found myself waffling on her guilt. <Don't throw anything at me! It was a temporary lapse!!!> That's what WS does - it shows you other sides of evidence - other ways to interpret it.

    The thing I have never liked on any forum is the "stirrers" who seem to have no purpose to their posts other than to create unpleasantness. I'm not talking about those who really believe in their take on a case, because they offer their observations, gut instincts, and interpretations to support their theory. I'm talking more about those who post with an attitude - usually 2 or 3 words like "he's guilty", "he's innocent", "you're wrong", and "link?".

    I hope that made sense. I'm a tad bit sleep deprived. I think our biggest thing right now is we need a new piece of evidence!

    Hope I didn't offend anyone - that was NOT my intention!
    BBM

    I had no idea he actually wrote a book

    But why am I not surprised
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    71,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice View Post
    Sorry, I see how I wasn't clear about what I meant. What I meant to say is isn't it all speculation? All of it, every thread, including General Discussion and the others,based on what we know and what we may not know. Speculation has always been allowed at Webslueths and is very different than stating rumor as truth which is not allowed. KWIM?
    There's a difference between factual speculation and speculation with no factual foundation at all.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    There's a difference between factual speculation and speculation with no factual foundation at all.
    I respectfully disagree. The very definition of the word speculation is: The forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
    "All views are entitled to be aired, except Fake News and Conspiracy theories, those just suck and are not based in reality, It is through vigorous and constructive debate that together we will chart the path ahead." --Spice

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice View Post
    I respectfully disagree. The very definition of the word speculation is: The forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
    We were thinking along the very same lines! That truly is the definition of speculation. Thank you!

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Houstonia
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    I don't understand. What alternate theories are not permitted ????? I believe that thread was set up for all theories.
    Theories considering the possibility of ADHD or NPD. Mental health discussion. It wasn't a complaint. Just restating the mod warning.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    71,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice View Post
    I respectfully disagree. The very definition of the word speculation is: The forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
    We have circumstances in this case that we know are fact. Right? For example, we know for a fact, RH was dropped off at his car during lunch break. We know that morning, he and Cooper stopped by CFA. Speculation on these two circumstances are based on facts.

    LE believes the marriage was troubled. However,they have not yet released any facts to support those beliefs. Speculation on the troubles in their marriage is not based on any fact. Therefore, any speculation on this subject, has no factual foundation.

    These are just two examples off the top of my head. hth

    We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.








  7. #97
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    So Illinois
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    BBM

    I had no idea he actually wrote a book

    But why am I not surprised

    Yea, I know! But it was actually well written, and interesting. I also read Jeff Ashton's book in regards to this case. It was good, too, although maybe a little on the whiney side.

    Sorry - I know this is a bit OT! lol

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DofC
    Posts
    22,011
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    We have circumstances in this case that we know are fact. Right? For example, we know for a fact, RH was dropped off at his car during lunch break. We know that morning, he and Cooper stopped by CFA. Speculation on these two circumstances are based on facts.

    LE believes the marriage was troubled. However,they have not yet released any facts to support those beliefs. Speculation on the troubles in their marriage is not based on any fact. Therefore, any speculation on this subject, has no factual foundation.

    These are just two examples off the top of my head. hth

    We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.



    He had an affair in the past and in the present as well as the sexting certainly supports the marriage was troubled imo.
    __________
    “Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet.” - Maya Angelou

  9. #99
    JudyBolton's Avatar
    JudyBolton is offline In memory: My dear friend Martha Mickel, kidnapped & murdered by Curtis Tyner.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    902
    I will say - just go back to the Gen.D threads and see the number who were there (is that number recorded? - hope so) and compare that to these various threads now... there are a handful of posters on a thread at any one time. I cannot remember what thread I read last and what thread something was posted on.... When something was posted on the GD thread - within a minute or two there were comments, answers to questions, etc. Now, you can wait several minutes and nothing has changed..... I REALLY, REALLY appeal to the moderators to PLEASE, PLEASE restore the GD board. This has taken my enjoyment of reading and posting and turned it into confusion and frustration. Thank you for considering the pleas for our GD board back!
    Judy ( posting only my opinion)

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Michigan/Iowa
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyBolton View Post
    I will say - just go back to the Gen.D threads and see the number who were there (is that number recorded? - hope so) and compare that to these various threads now... there are a handful of posters on a thread at any one time. I cannot remember what thread I read last and what thread something was posted on.... When something was posted on the GD thread - within a minute or two there were comments, answers to questions, etc. Now, you can wait several minutes and nothing has changed..... I REALLY, REALLY appeal to the moderators to PLEASE, PLEASE restore the GD board. This has taken my enjoyment of reading and posting and turned it into confusion and frustration. Thank you for considering the pleas for our GD board back!
    I agree! I guess I will just have to follow this case on the Atlanta news sites as it's too frustrating to try to follow it here now without the general discussion threads.


  11. #101
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyBolton View Post
    I will say - just go back to the Gen.D threads and see the number who were there (is that number recorded? - hope so) and compare that to these various threads now... there are a handful of posters on a thread at any one time. I cannot remember what thread I read last and what thread something was posted on.... When something was posted on the GD thread - within a minute or two there were comments, answers to questions, etc. Now, you can wait several minutes and nothing has changed..... I REALLY, REALLY appeal to the moderators to PLEASE, PLEASE restore the GD board. This has taken my enjoyment of reading and posting and turned it into confusion and frustration. Thank you for considering the pleas for our GD board back!
    I agree. I haven't even bothered to read or post anywhere since the shut-down because I don't have the time to check 15 different topics to see if anyone posted a new thought or theory. With a GD topic, it's easy to remember the last page you finished reading then start there the next time you log on. I have not read why the decision was made to discontinue the GD board, but I would assume it had something to do with heated discussion? Anytime you have death of a child involved, there will be heart-felt emotion and heated debate, imo.

    Anyway, one vote for the GD board here. Do we get to vote or was the decision final?

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    29,161
    Alright, we are closing up here. LOL! This thread was supposed to be for ideas on how to stay on topic in specific threads. That's all. LOL!

    It wasn't supposed to be a debate thread. LMBO.

    Salem

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7


Similar Threads

  1. *graphic and adult content* Jodi Arias Trial media/ timeline thread **no discussion**
    By TigerBalm in forum Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias
    Replies: 1592
    Last Post: 07-06-2017, 08:37 PM
  2. North Korea issues unusually specific threat 4/23/12
    By dsntslp in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 06:04 AM
  3. "a specific tool ...designed for a specific audience."
    By pufnstuf in forum Kyron Horman
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: 09-19-2010, 11:53 PM
  4. Replies: 277
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 11:07 AM