GUILTY PA - Sharon Budd critical after rock dropped on car, Milton, 10 July 2014

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...woman_critical_after_rock_dropped_on_car.html

Ohio woman critical after rock dropped on car
Last Updated: Tuesday, July 15, 2014

AKRON, Ohio -- (AP) An Ohio teacher was in critical condition Tuesday after police say some teenagers deliberately dropped a rock from a highway overpass onto the windshield of the family's car as they drove through Pennsylvania on their way to New York City.

Sharon Budd, 52, was struck in the face by the rock dropped onto Interstate 80 near Milton, Pennsylvania, on Thursday night. Four teens are charged with assault for dropping the 7- to 8-pound rock from an overpass....

Why are these kids charged with assault instead of attempted murder? If she dies it should be murder. In my wildest days as a kid I'd never dream of something like this.

My daughter is in Ohio, I always take a deep breath when I see Ohio. Yes I know lots of people live in Ohio, still.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...woman_critical_after_rock_dropped_on_car.html

Ohio woman critical after rock dropped on car
Last Updated: Tuesday, July 15, 2014

AKRON, Ohio -- (AP) An Ohio teacher was in critical condition Tuesday after police say some teenagers deliberately dropped a rock from a highway overpass onto the windshield of the family's car as they drove through Pennsylvania on their way to New York City.

Sharon Budd, 52, was struck in the face by the rock dropped onto Interstate 80 near Milton, Pennsylvania, on Thursday night. Four teens are charged with assault for dropping the 7- to 8-pound rock from an overpass....

Why are these kids charged with assault instead of attempted murder? If she dies it should be murder. In my wildest days as a kid I'd never dream of something like this.

BBM, me either Dan. Kids are just so mean nowadays. I sure miss the old days.

I'm ashamed to say that when I watched 'the good son' I thought dropping stuff over an overpass might be fun. Looks like that came out in 1993 so I probably watched it around then... so I was 7 or 8...

[/B]

BBM, me either Dan. Kids are just so mean nowadays. I sure miss the old days.

I'm not sure kids are meaner these days in violent ways like this. I think our internet access and twenty four hour news reports it a lot more. I think the crime of just being a jerk is increasing and I blame "reality" shows. It seems to get on and stay on a reality show you have to act outrageously and kids see that and think it's normal behavior. JMO

My daughter is in Ohio, I always take a deep breath when I see Ohio. Yes I know lots of people live in Ohio, still.

I'm sure a lot of mothers do that. I'm the same way with my brother around here and my family in PA.

I'll admit to having friends who actually used to do this when we were teens in Michigan. Thankfully, nothing bad ever happened, but it was definitely something bored kids did. I have certainly read other stories when motorists have been killed by crap like this. I hope this woman pulls through and these kids get a lesson they never forget.

Attempted murder is a more correct charge imo.

Today's kids--some are so dam violent and have regard for others.

We had a similar a similar case here where the woman, Katrina Kelley, died. They let the kid who did it plead out of the murder charge and gave him 22 years for less serious other crimes.

We had a similar a similar case here where the woman, Katrina Kelley, died. They let the kid who did it plead out of the murder charge and gave him 22 years for less serious other crimes.

At least 22 years is something.

We had tis happen here in Northern NY last week. Two boys aged 16 and 17. They hit 4 cars and caused damage. Thank goodness no one was seriously injured.

It seems that things like these happen in cycles. Like a new generation of idiots discover older movies that we enjoyed in our youth. Just most of us never acted it out because it was Make Believe!!

I have to admit to throwing eggs at cars in my youth. Did get into trouble but thank goodness nobody was hurt. I think most kids don't think about what 'could' happen and the dangers of what they are doing.

The horror for that family seeing their wife/mom suffer so badly.

I literally cried last night when I listened to the husband describe the scene after the rock came through the windshield. This poor woman and her family will never be the same, even if she survives. Shes still in critical condition with brain swelling. The description the husband gave was gruesome and it continues to be as they had to "peel back" her skull to allow for the brain swelling.

She has lost one eye and it's still questionable about the other. They have no idea if she has suffered brain damage and whether she'll ever remember them or be able to function in any capacity if she survives.

These were not "kids" involved in this. The lawyer for the two who were charged (17 & 18 yrs old) was also on the program last night stating that his clients did not throw the rock so that is where this is going. They are not going to be asked to take responsibility and the lawyer will take the stance that no one can prove it was either of his clients who hurt this woman. Apparently there were a group of individuals on the overpass? And they also drove by the scene multiple times...to check out the damage they caused?

I think every young man who was there that night and participating in such a stupid act should be charged. Does it really matter which one "hit a target"? They all knew better.

MOO

Yes... the husband was hard to listen to. Right after that I watched a show on PBS about a orphaned baby elephant. Her keeper had to leave for her daughter's wedding and upon return the 6 month elephant had died from missing her. Very sad night.

^^^dgfried, I was so upset by the TW program description that I had to take a Xanax. I couldn't face watching the show. My cat hasn't died, but he ACTS like his heart is broken whenever we leave the house: he just sits by the door and calls and calls for us.

I don't really want to discuss it, but I am curious about one thing: how long was the adoptive mother gone?

I literally cried last night when I listened to the husband describe the scene after the rock came through the windshield. This poor woman and her family will never be the same, even if she survives. Shes still in critical condition with brain swelling. The description the husband gave was gruesome and it continues to be as they had to "peel back" her skull to allow for the brain swelling.

She has lost one eye and it's still questionable about the other. They have no idea if she has suffered brain damage and whether she'll ever remember them or be able to function in any capacity if she survives.

These were not "kids" involved in this. The lawyer for the two who were charged (17 & 18 yrs old) was also on the program last night stating that his clients did not throw the rock so that is where this is going. They are not going to be asked to take responsibility and the lawyer will take the stance that no one can prove it was either of his clients who hurt this woman. Apparently there were a group of individuals on the overpass? And they also drove by the scene multiple times...to check out the damage they caused?

I think every young man who was there that night and participating in such a stupid act should be charged. Does it really matter which one "hit a target"? They all knew better.

MOO
I cried too and I only heard 1/2 of it.

I read the transcript this morning. So awful!
Here it is if anyone wants to read it. It is
*****GRAPHIC******
I was surprised they let him tell the story, because the reporter said he couldn't say how bad it was during the time the show aired...
Clark Goldband:
"Some disturbing details on what happens to Mom, Jean, so disturbing, it`s not even something we can report at the family hour, the type and extent of the damage that was done to this mother and teacher."
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1407/16/ng.01.html

All posts are MOO.

I cried too and I only heard 1/2 of it.

I read the transcript this morning. So awful!
Here it is if anyone wants to read it. It is
*****GRAPHIC******
I was surprised they let him tell the story, because the reporter said he couldn't say how bad it was during the time the show aired...
Clark Goldband:
"Some disturbing details on what happens to Mom, Jean, so disturbing, it`s not even something we can report at the family hour, the type and extent of the damage that was done to this mother and teacher."
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1407/16/ng.01.html

All posts are MOO.

That was brutal to listen too. I didn't know about the additional injuries, but I'm kind of afraid to read it.

I'm really sick of worthless people harming others that are productive members of society :(

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/07/teen_who_threw_rock_from_i-80.html

The juveniles, identified in court documents as TGP and KLM, allege Dylan Lahr, 17, threw the rock, acording to arrest affidavits filed in the Mifflinburg office of District Judge Jeffrey Mensch.

Lahr and his 18-year-old brother Brett have been charged with aggravated assault, conspiracy, propelling missiles into a vehicle, possession of an instrument of crime and reckless endangering.

snipped

thankfully these boneheads brought attention to themselves

The four returned to Gray Hill Road to observe what was occurring on the interstate, then went back to the Lahr home, state police said they were told.

Brett Lahr and KLM returned a second time and after observing several police cars on I-80, went back to the Lahr home, the affidavit states.

Troopers said they were led to the Lahrs after observing a gold Honda Accord twice slowly drive by on Grey Hill Road. When they ran the car's license plate they said they learned the vehicle was owned by Michael Allen Lahr of the same address as the brothers

I say charge all 4 of them. It doesn't matter which one actually threw the rock that hit the car and i can see exactly how the trial is going to go with no one taking blame and accusing the others of lying. Why give them the option? There must be a way they can all be charged. How many other attempts were made? How many other rocks were thrown? How many other times have they done this for "fun"? Why didn't any of them prevent this? They had a vehicle so it's obvious they drove to that overpass and got out of their car with a purpose. It just makes me so angry. These weren't 8 yr olds throwing pebbles (which is still incredibly wrong and warped). These were pretty much "adults" who we're trying to do damage, likely to a vehicle and not a person, but they were old enough to understand the possibilities.

MOO

They are old enough to be tried as adults and under much more serious charges. JMO

Hey Steely Dan! :seeya: Long time no see!

I'm a little perplexed by the current charges. They don't seem near enough. Perhaps they are waiting to see if Mrs. Budd makes it.

Every. Single. One of these drain on society need to be charged. They assumed the risks of what they were doing before they made the stupid decision to drop a huge rock from the overpass. I don't give a rats azz which one of them threw it and I'm sure the Budd family feels the same way.

I'm praying she survives.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back