873 users online (174 members and 699 guests)  

Websleuths News

Canada - Meghan Hester, 20, dies in fall from Toronto balcony, 4 July 2014

" July 16, 2014 1:53PM EDT

Police say they are treating the death of a woman who fell from a downtown Toronto balcony two weeks ago as suspicious and are appealing to the public for information.

Officers were called to a building near Stephanie and McCaul streets at around 2:30 a.m. on July 4 after residents were awoken by a loud disturbance in the area."

bbm, link includes pic. of victim

"On Friday, July 4, 2014, at approximately 2:30 a.m., police received a call for Unknown Trouble in the Stephanie Street and McCaul Street area.

It is reported that:

- there was a loud disturbance in the area that woke people up

- police attended and found a woman

- it appears she fell from a balcony

- she was taken to hospital where she succumbed to her injuries

Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Geraid O'Kane or Detective Lorenzo Lombardi at 416-808-5204, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook. Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.

" Upon arrival, police located a woman who appeared to have fallen from a balcony.

The woman was rushed to hospital, but was pronounced dead upon arrival.

At the time police told CP24 that they believed the woman committed suicide, however the death has now been classified as suspicious.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Geraid O'Kane or Detective Lorenzo Lombardi at (416) 808-5204."

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/police-now-...#ixzz37fXcgtYu

Hoping to arrive in NEUTRAL soon
    From the article above:
    An image of the woman has been released, but police have so far declined to identify her.
    Why would they do that? The woman's picture is published in this article, but not her name. Perhaps it is to protect her privacy in the event this WAS a suicide. But what is the benefit of releasing her picture then?
    One person can make a difference, and everyone should try.
    John F. Kennedy

She has been identified: http://m.torontosun.com/2014/07/16/s...d-to-her-death

'Somebody has done this to her': Mother of woman who plunged to her death
    ANGELA HENNESSY, Toronto Sun
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 2:00 PM

Toronto Police are trying to piece together how a young woman plunged to her death from a Toronto highrise earlier this month.
    But Meghan Hester’s mother says she already knows how the 20-year-old ended up on the ground outside an apartment building at 50 Stephanie St. shortly after 2:30 a.m. July 4.
    “In my heart of hearts, I think that somebody has done this to her,” Jennifer Ruston told the Toronto Sun Wednesday.
    Several disturbance calls had been made to police about the Queen St. W. and Beverley St.-area apartment unit Hester was in prior to her balcony fall. A final “unknown trouble” call made by a neighbour had brought police to her body.
    “She was alive when police arrived but she succumbed to her injuries shortly after at St. Michael’s Hospital,” Det. Lorenzo Lombardi said.
    “We’re not ruling out if she has been pushed,” said Lombardi, who added police already have several witnesses. Officers determined which unit she fell from, which is believed to have been from the 11th floor.
    On Wednesday, the highrise was plastered with police posters asking for assistance in finding out what had happened to the young Midland woman and urging anyone with information to come forward.
    The posters displayed a picture of Hester and brief details about her death, including the haunting fact that “there was a loud disturbance in the area that woke people up.”
    “I had heard loud screaming, but I thought it had come from the street,” Michael Andreae, who lives above the unit, said. “It woke me up.”
    Although police aren’t telling her much at this point, Ruston believes her daughter was at the apartment of a male co-worker at the time of the fatal fall.
    Her mom was told the person in the unit is claiming to have been woken up by police knocking.
    “Very suspicious things have happened, including her phone being returned to the funeral home on the day of her funeral with her SIM card taken out and all her photos deleted,” said Ruston, who had been notified of her daughter's death that morning while at work.
    Ruston said a distraught woman who would not leave her name had returned the young woman’s stay-over bag and phone to the Midland funeral home.
    She also alleged that all of her daughter’s text messages from July 2 and onward had been deleted from the cellphone and that her Instagram account appears to have been deleted.
    Hester moved to Toronto last February to work as a canvasser at a local charity, her mom said.
    “She liked to be free and independent and that’s why she was living in another city,” she said. “We are totally devastated.”
    She had been living with her cousin for several months when she arrived after briefly travelling to British Columbia, but had been couch-surfing for the past few weeks.
    Her family last saw Hester, the oldest of five children, when she was home from June 26 to July 1 to celebrate her brother’s high school graduation.
    “She sent me a text on July 2 to ask me to post the graduation pictures to Facebook,” her mom said.
    She described her daughter as being a “happy, outgoing and fun-loving person” who had loved life.
    “I know her and I know this wasn’t a suicide,” Ruston said.

"Police have deemed it a suspicious death.

“At about 2:30 in the morning, reports came in that there was a loud bang outside of the apartment and when police arrived on scene they discovered the lifeless body of a woman,” Const. Victor Kwong said.

Ruston says her daughter’s cell phone was brought to the funeral by a distraught woman who refused to leave her name, but it was missing an important piece.

“The SIM card was missing out of it,” Ruston said. “Whether that was intentional, I’m not sure.”

Hester moved to Toronto in March from the Midland area and was working as a street canvasser for a local charity at the time of her death.

Ruston says her daughter did not live in the building, but may have been visiting a co-worker.

Police are looking at security video from the lobby reportedly showing the woman walking in the building with friends."