GUILTY KS - Roger, 48, & Melissa Bluml, 53, murdered, Valley Center, 15 Nov 2013

hopingicanhelp

Reaction score
Preliminary hearing set for Thursday kake.com

Anthony Bluml, 19, his birth mother, Kisha Schaberg, 35, Andrew Ellington, 18, and Braden Smith, 19, are charged in the shooting death of 48-year-old Roger Bluml and 53-year-old Melissa Bluml, Anthony's adoptive parents.

This is a story I've been following locally here -- so sad; Anthony's little brother was adopted (same bio mom) by the Blumls as well -- he was not hurt and had nothing to do with the crime. There are more extensive stories out there that I will pull and bring over as I have time.

11/18/13 kake.com "Wife dies, husband critical...."

There is no word yet on any arrests or a motive for the shooting.

Throughout the day Saturday, family, friends and community members expressed their condolences and prayers on Twitter using the hashtags "#prayfortheblumls and #prayingfortheblumls."

Neighbors in the rural community say the shooting comes as a shock. They say there were at least three homes in the area that were burglarized during the summer. But they say they never thought there'd be a violent crime, like this shooting, essentially in their backyard.

"This caught me off guard," Tad Brockman said.

Brockman watched Friday night as a helicopter circled above his neighborhood shining a spotlight in the fields. He says an officer came to his door and asked, "Are you ok?" Brockman says the officer didn't give him any other information and he's been on alert ever since.

Capital Murder Charges filed (Wichita Eagle)

According to Schaberg’s girlfriend, Anthony Bluml had reunited with Schaberg – his biological mother – in California around midsummer after the pair had contact over social media. Smith, who lives in Park City, had gone along to California with Anthony Bluml.

The trio drove from San Diego to the Wichita area, Schaberg’s girlfriend has told The Eagle, about two weeks before the shootings.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/01/03/3209587/capital-murder-charges-filed-against.html#storylink=cpy

*** The above page at Kansas.com has several links to more info on the story, how the son & biomom reunited, family/friend interviews, etc.

I'm subscribed to the site so if it appears there is enough interest in this thread I'll start pulling more of it over.

WOW. Look at their pics. They all look deranged. Especially mom and son. JMO.

Bluml son, biological mom were living together in months before shooting
http://www.kansas.com/2013/11/21/3132730/search-continues-for-evidence.html

A few weeks ago, Bluml, 18, Schaberg, 35, her 7-year-old daughter and a man named Braden left San Diego for Kansas, said Victoria Egerer, a 20-year-old former stepdaughter of Schaberg who lives in Riverside, Calif....
Egerer said she was told this by Schaberg: “I know that Tony (Bluml) did not like living with his adopted parents. He told Kisha (Schaberg) that they were too strict. They didn’t let him do whatever he wanted, and I guess that irritated him,” Egerer said Thursday. Egerer said she heard from Schaberg that Tony’s younger brother, Chris, didn’t want anything to do with his biological mother. That made Schaberg upset because she felt that the adoptive parents, Melissa and Roger Bluml, had turned the younger brother against Schaberg, Egerer said....He and Schaberg had been in contact through Facebook before he left for California...

Schaberg had a girlfriend at the time who financially supported everyone. There was pot-smoking in the home, Egerer said, based on what she heard and saw. Egerer said Schaberg told her that a gun was kept under a mattress for protection. Schaberg’s girlfriend got tired of supporting everyone and thought the others should get a job. Schaberg told Egerer that she didn’t think Tony Bluml should have to work or clean the house, that it wasn’t fair. So Schaberg, Bluml and Braden moved to a San Diego hotel.

Egerer said her 7-year-old half-sister told her she didn’t want to go to the hotel. The 7-year-old told Egerer that she slept on the floor so Tony Bluml and his biological mother could sleep in bed together.

California woman witnessed reunion of biological mom, son arrested in Valley Center-area shooting
http://www.kansas.com/2013/11/23/3136994/california-woman-witnessed-reunion.html
Less than a year ago, Bluml was a star wrestler at Valley Center High School... About two months ago, Bluml moved in with Schaberg in San Diego after they had communicated by social media....
Hamilton, 43, said she works as a security officer and has known Schaberg for more than 25 years. The two have been girlfriends in a relationship....
Schaberg carried a burden over giving up Tony Bluml and a younger brother, Chris Bluml, for adoption when Tony was around 6 or 7 and Chris was 4 or 5, Hamilton said....Schaberg “always talked about her sons and how she loved them and how much she missed them and how she regretted giving them up,” Hamilton said. “She felt really, really bad, and it tore her apart.”...“She was happy with the fact the Blumls came forward and wanted to take care” of her sons, Hamilton said.

Years passed, and Schaberg knew the boys were being taken care of. Eventually, Schaberg had another child, a daughter, now 7.

Hamilton said her message to Schaberg was: When the time is right, the boys will talk to you, on their own. Just let them know you are there....“He had plans with his life,” Hamilton said. He talked of wanting to go into the Air Force.... Bluml told Hamilton and Schaberg that he had a bad childhood, that his adoptive mother didn’t love him as she did his younger brother, and that he didn’t want to call her “Mom,” Hamilton said. And he said his adoptive father put him down, Hamilton said. But Bluml’s claims didn’t make sense, Hamilton said, because the younger brother seemed to be happy. “I don’t think he was treated poorly,” Hamilton said of Tony Bluml. “I know that the Blumls loved him.” ... Hamilton said she thought Tony Bluml had been somewhat traumatized because he had moved around a lot before he was adopted.... Hamilton also told her: “You can’t treat him … like he’s your baby.” And according to Hamilton, Schaberg responded, “Yes, I’m going to make up for lost time, so I’m going to do whatever I have to do to make my child happy.”

... Hamilton was supporting everyone by working two jobs, although Schaberg paid her share from state aid. Bluml and Smith were trying to sell marijuana near the home, Hamilton said. She said she told them: “This is dangerous” and “I cannot have this in my home. You have to take this elsewhere.”

...Hamilton said she has been working on getting guardianship of the 7-year-old and thought the girl was being neglected because of the presence of the men... The girl wanted to stay with Hamilton in California, she said. But “Tony said he knows what it’s like to not be with his mother” and talked Schaberg into taking her daughter with her to Kansas, Hamilton said.

Schaberg had changed since Bluml moved in, Hamilton said. “She was goal-oriented before he came down,” she said. “He had her under, I would say, a spell, and it all changed when he got here. “He even tried to get me” to be part of the drug dealing, Hamilton said. She said Schaberg had been sober before Bluml came to live with them.

Valley Center-area fatal shooting defendant seeks to suppress statement
http://www.kansas.com/2014/01/20/3239366/valley-center-area-fatal-shooting.html
Anthony Bluml, the 19-year-old adopted son of Melissa and Roger Bluml, has filed a handwritten “Motion to Suppress Evidence” saying he was “not in complete control of his mental faculties” when he was questioned. He said detectives went ahead with questioning after he “stated clearly that he was under the influence of narcotics.”

...He said he needed “a day to give a presentation” so he could “show without a doubt” that he was under the influence of narcotics on the day of questioning.

His defense lawyer couldn’t be reached for comment Monday.

hopingicanhelp - thanks button isn't enough for the research you've started on this case, thanks so much for doing the legwork, will spend some time reading over this tonight.

WOW. Look at their pics. They all look deranged. Especially mom and son. JMO.

She looks "off" for sure -- to me, HE just looks cold -- was unsure about deranged part but then after re-reading old articles I was reminded that he has been attempting to file his own handwritten motions & briefs IN A DEALTH PENALTY CASE even though he has an atty (so it sounds to me like his atty can't control him either)... imo

Witness: Couple killed for "will money" and "hatred"
http://www.kansas.com/2014/07/17/3556368/4-face-hearing-on-capital-murder.html

...Kisha Schaberg, the biological mother of the Bluml’s adopted son Anthony, shot the couple Nov. 15 as they sat in their pickup after returning from dinner with Anthony...The plan was for Anthony to go to dinner with his parents while Schaberg and Ellington broke into the Bluml house to steal cash and anything else they wanted to take, Smith said.

When the Blumls returned home, Smith said Schaberg told him, they walked out from “the side of the house” and approached the pickup. Melissa Bluml began to open the door and said, “Oh, my gosh - Kisha.” Schaberg blocked the door from opening farther and shot Melissa Bluml once in the head, Smith said.

Roger Bluml’s attention was completely on his wife as Schaberg walked around the front of the vehicle to the driver’s side, Smith testified she later told him. She opened the driver’s door, pointed the gun and pulled the trigger.

But it didn’t fire. It clicked a couple of times, Smith said Schaberg told him, before firing. Roger Bluml was shot once in the head.... she was also driven by “a little bit of hatred, too” because she was convinced the Blumls were keeping her away from her “blood children” - Anthony and Chris.

Chris Bluml was at a wrestling tournament the night of the killings.

Suspect testifies ksn.com

Branden Michael Smith waived his own preliminary hearing and took the witness stand Thursday as part of a deal with prosecutors for his testimony against his three co-defendants.

He said the plan came together while he and Anthony Bluml were driving back to Kansas from California with Anthony Bluml’s biological mother Kisha Schaberg.

Smith testified he provided the gun that Schaberg used to kill the Blumls.

While Smith testified he told them he would not take part directly in the plan, he did admit to getting the guns used in the murder and arranged for Andrew Ellington to take part.

“I said Drew is just like me, he won’t run his mouth or anything,” said Smith.

Smith says Schaberg and Ellington went to the house after Anthony Bluml arranged for his mother and father to be away.

Chris Bluml, the other adopted son, was in the courtroom.

He stared at the ground as he listened to Smith tell the judge how his brother and biological mother allegedly planned and committed his adopted parent’s murder.

One enters plea deal.. kwch.com
Melissa died shortly after shooting. Roger died a month later.

"I told them I can't be the one to drive and go to the house." Smith said.

"Why couldn't you?" asked Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett.

"I said I was scared," Smith answered. "I couldn't be the one to do it."

"She said Roger wasn't paying attention to anything but Melissa, asking her if she was alright," Smith testified. "She said Roger said, 'Baby, baby, are you alright?'"

BBM; he was tending to his wife as Schaberg made numerous attempts before finally succeeding in shooting him in the head -- absolutely breaks my heart.

Their poor son Chris has lost his parents, his brother, and his biological mom.

So much for Schaberg's girlfriend (Hamilton, mentioned in prior posts) thinking that Schaberg was only a follower -- she's the one who pulled the trigger.

Makes me sick to think this is how they were repaid for loving those boys -- not that they ever expected to be repaid.

IMO

[video]http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Preliminary-hearing-in-Bluml-murders-begins-Thursday-267410121.html[/video]

Bluml-Ellington-Smith-Schaberg-1.jpg

taken from kake.com

Top left: Anthony Bluml
Top right: Kisha Schaberg
Bottom left: Andrew Ellington
Bottom right: Braden Smith (the one testifying against the others)

My heart goes out to the younger boy, Chris, who has lost TWO families and any semblance of stability in his life. I hope he can heal and go on to choose a positive path.

The little girl, too - I can't help feeling she is better off without her mother, who appears to be an extremely toxic individual. No gratitude heard, anywhere, toward the people who took in and loved, cared for, fed and housed the children she gave up. Just bitterness and resentment, like it was the fault of her victims that she was an inadequate mother. And her actions prior to the murders, giving the elder son no limits and "everything he wants" while nurturing hatred in his heart toward them, just *everything* she did clearly demonstrated that was STILL a terrible mother.

Both mother and elder son do not seem capable of admitting fault, taking responsibility for their actions or respecting other people. Oil and fire, right there.

I hope they get the harshest penalties able to be given. I really do.

Did she really give them up, or did cps terminate her parental rights?

She looks "off" for sure -- to me, HE just looks cold -- was unsure about deranged part but then after re-reading old articles I was reminded that he has been attempting to file his own handwritten motions & briefs IN A DEALTH PENALTY CASE even though he has an atty (so it sounds to me like his atty can't control him either)... imo

I always see that cold face with deviant and evil people. What is up with that?

I'm sure there's pictures which exist somewhere that show them smiling and looking cheerful. But these generally would seem offensive to display to the public, after they've committed a heinous murder.

I know plenty of perfectly nice, clean living people who have harsh-looking faces, and would not look out of place in a murder lineup.

That said, I think people who hold a consistently angry or negative view of the world, criminal or not, might habitually come to hold unpleasant expressions.

Did she really give them up, or did cps terminate her parental rights?

I'm not entirely sure if cps was ever involved or somehow prompted her to seek out an adopting couple, but the rights weren't terminated; one of the articles from Kansas.com stated that Schaberg was living in Missouri when she met the Blumls and was struggling to care for her boys and that she set up the adoption with the goal of finding a family who would keep the boys together. The Blumls adopted the boys but later moved to Kansas.

http://www.kansas.com/2013/11/23/3136994/california-woman-witnessed-reunion.html

:gaah: Didn't this screwed-up, with screw loose bio-mom think of her little seven year old daughter at all! She just shoots the good people who did everything to raise her boys, when she did nothing but talk weepy about missing them. Then, to top it off, she helps ruin both sons lives again! She has done nothing but bring sorrow into everyone's lives over and over.

SHE shot them!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
locallady50
Back