GUILTY VT - Terri King, 53, abducted & murdered, Rutland, 27 Nov 2000 *Arrest*

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Donald Fell started drinking in the third grade and began using cocaine, marijuana and LSD soon after, according to court documents. He was abandoned by his father at 10 and by his mother three years later.

A doctor who evaluated him called Fell "the most drug-abusing and chronically intoxicated individual" he had ever evaluated.

Defense lawyers hope that Fell's background of neglect and abuse will help persuade jurors to spare Fell's life if they find him guilty of murder. Opening statements were scheduled to begin Monday in federal court in Burlington.

It is the first time in more than 40 years that a defendant in Vermont has faced the death penalty. Vermont has no death penalty, but Fell was charged under a federal capital murder law because the victim was abducted in Vermont and then murdered in New York.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/news/0605/20_vermont_ap.html

Police say Teresca King spent the last minutes of her life kneeling in prayer in a field in eastern Dutchess County, moments before two men began to beat her to death with a rock.

King, 53, had been abducted several hours earlier, on the morning of Nov. 27, 2000, in a parking lot in North Clarendon, Vt. Investigators say they have no reason to believe the men who kidnapped this church-going grandmother of six had ever met her before. They simply needed a car to flee from the scene of a murder and accosted King as she was arriving for work at a Price Chopper supermarket.

Fell and Lee reportedly confessed to killing Fell's mother, Debra Fell, 44, and her companion, Charles Conway, 44, in Rutland, Vt., before they abducted King, drove to Dutchess County and killed her. The men were arrested in Arkansas on traffic violations three days after the murders.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050620/NEWS01/506200331/1006

The lawyer for Donald Fell all but conceded his client's guilt in opening arguments today, showing that his focus is on ensuring Fell is not put to death.

Alexander Bunin told jurors that his client was responsible for killing Terry King as well as a friend of his mother's.

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=3496326

mysteriew said:
Police say Teresca King spent the last minutes of her life kneeling in prayer in a field in eastern Dutchess County, moments before two men began to beat her to death with a rock.

King, 53, had been abducted several hours earlier, on the morning of Nov. 27, 2000, in a parking lot in North Clarendon, Vt. Investigators say they have no reason to believe the men who kidnapped this church-going grandmother of six had ever met her before. They simply needed a car to flee from the scene of a murder and accosted King as she was arriving for work at a Price Chopper supermarket.

Fell and Lee reportedly confessed to killing Fell's mother, Debra Fell, 44, and her companion, Charles Conway, 44, in Rutland, Vt., before they abducted King, drove to Dutchess County and killed her. The men were arrested in Arkansas on traffic violations three days after the murders.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050620/NEWS01/506200331/1006
This is the guy they want the jury to feel sorry for???????? Talk about pipe dreams.

Prosecutors are expected to bring their case against Donald R. Fell to a close today, with the jury to then start deliberating whether he is guilty of the crimes that could lead to his execution.

Those deliberations are not expected to take long, as Fell's defense team has asked few questions in their cross-examination of prosecution witnesses. In addition, in his opening statement, Fell's federal public defender, Alexander Bunin, said his client "accepted responsibility" in the death of Tressa King, 53, of North Clarendon.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050624/NEWS/506240407/1002

Donald Fell’s attorney finally offered a defense Tuesday, after a Vermont jury found him guilty last week of kidnapping and killing Terry King in November 2000.

With the aid of childhood photos displayed on large screens, Bunin began his defense with a 1985 incident in which Debra Fell stabbed her husband, and was discovered by police with a beer in her hand and knife in her own leg. “Welcome to Donny’s world,” he said.

Sessions told the jury that they can weigh various mitigating factors, including a defense contention that Fell’s capacity to appreciate his conduct was impaired. The defense also hopes to prove that he didn’t plan to kill, has demonstrated remorse and admitted responsibility for King’s death, and made positive contributions during the four years he has been incarcerated since the crime.

The sentencing phase is expected to last at least a week.

http://www.vermontguardian.com/local/0105/FellSentencing.shtml

Jurors in the Donald Fell death penalty trial were given the task Wednesday afternoon of deciding whether Fell will be sentenced to death or life in prison.

Judge William Sessions III handed the case to the jury at 2:47 p.m. Wednesday after telling them: "You represent the conscience of the community. The case of Donald Fell is now in your hands."

Fell, of Wilkes-Barre, Pa., was convicted June 24 of kidnapping and killing Tressa King, 53, on Nov. 27, 2000. His alleged accomplice in the crime, Robert J. Lee, accidentally hanged himself in prison in September of 2001.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050713/NEWS/50713004/1002

THEY DID IT!!!!

BURLINGTON, Vermont (AP) -- A federal jury Thursday ruled that a man should be put to death for kidnapping and killing a supermarket worker, in Vermont's first capital punishment trial in nearly a half-century.

Jurors reached their decision on Donald Fell, 25, on the second day of deliberations. Vermont has no death penalty; Fell was convicted under federal law.

Fell showed no emotion as a court clerk read aloud the jury's recommendation, but his lawyer then stood and said he had a statement from Fell for the jurors.

More at:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/14/vermont.deathpenalty.ap/index.html

Federal attorneys prosecuting Donald Fell this summer for murder acted in such an improper fashion that a judge should overturn Fell's death sentence, defense attorneys argued in a court filing Friday.

Fell's defense team is asking a federal judge to commute the sentence to life in prison or order a new sentencing hearing altogether. In a 31-page document filed Friday, the defense argues that decisions and arguments prosecutors made during the trial circumvented proper court procedure and could have turned jurors against Fell.

"The government misrepresented facts to the Court, took inconsistent positions about its evidence, and misstated the defendant's constitutional rights to the jury," reads the document, signed by Federal Public Defender Alexander Bunin. "Fell was denied due process of law, resulting in a miscarriage of justice."
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050827/NEWS02/508270305/1007/NEWS05

Attorneys for convicted killer Donald R. Fell are calling on a federal judge to hold a hearing on their claims that prosecutors engaged in misconduct in a trial that led to a death penalty verdict for their client.

A federal jury returned the death penalty verdict in July against the 25-year-old Pennsylvania native for abducting and killing Tressa King, 53, of North Clarendon in November 2000 after fleeing from two earlier killings in Rutland.

Alexander Bunin, a federal public defender representing Fell, filed a motion late last week in U.S. District Court in Burlington asking Judge William Sessions to hold a hearing on allegations of misconduct by prosecutors regarding mental health evidence during their client's trial.
http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051102/NEWS/511020353/1002

Burlington, Vermont - March 16, 2006

A killer facing the death penalty now says he's sorry. Donald Fell wrote a remorseful letter that appeared in the Seven Days newspaper-- nine months after a jury recommended he be executed for murder.

The group called "Campaign to End the Death Penalty" asked Fell if he'd write a letter in honor of Death Penalty Awareness Week. And for the first time-- in a letter to Seven Days-- Fell publicly expresses sorrow for murdering Terri King and the pain he caused her family. The question is: does his eleventh hour remorse come too late to save his life?

Last summer, a federal jury of twelve Vermonters declared Donald Fell guilty of the merciless murder of Terri King. Then at a second trial called the sentencing phase, the same jury recommended that Fell get the death penalty-- in part-- because he never expressed remorse of any kind for the crime.

Judge William Sessions has still not scheduled a hearing to formally pronounce the death sentence.

But this week Fell has publicly expressed remorse in a letter published in the Seven Days newspaper. The original letter is written in pencil, on lined notebook paper. It says in part, "I am writing this to express my sorrow to the world. Not sorrow for myself, but sorrow for the victims of my horrible, senseless crimes ... I wish to take whatever time I have left on this earth to help others... avoid the decisions and choices that I have made."
full story

dark_shadows said:
Burlington, Vermont - March 16, 2006

A killer facing the death penalty now says he's sorry. Donald Fell wrote a remorseful letter that appeared in the Seven Days newspaper-- nine months after a jury recommended he be executed for murder.

The group called "Campaign to End the Death Penalty" asked Fell if he'd write a letter in honor of Death Penalty Awareness Week. And for the first time-- in a letter to Seven Days-- Fell publicly expresses sorrow for murdering Terri King and the pain he caused her family. The question is: does his eleventh hour remorse come too late to save his life?

Last summer, a federal jury of twelve Vermonters declared Donald Fell guilty of the merciless murder of Terri King. Then at a second trial called the sentencing phase, the same jury recommended that Fell get the death penalty-- in part-- because he never expressed remorse of any kind for the crime.

Judge William Sessions has still not scheduled a hearing to formally pronounce the death sentence.

But this week Fell has publicly expressed remorse in a letter published in the Seven Days newspaper. The original letter is written in pencil, on lined notebook paper. It says in part, "I am writing this to express my sorrow to the world. Not sorrow for myself, but sorrow for the victims of my horrible, senseless crimes ... I wish to take whatever time I have left on this earth to help others... avoid the decisions and choices that I have made."
full story
so what???:doh: oh, i dont know why I read these things!!:doh:

j2mirish said:
so what???:doh: oh, i dont know why I read these things!!:doh:
Exactly, so what! Fire up ole sparky and let's get on with this. He doesn't deserve the air he breathes, I don't care how "remorseful" he is.:furious:

bakerprune64 said:
Exactly, so what! Fire up ole sparky and let's get on with this. He doesn't deserve the air he breathes, I don't care how "remorseful" he is.:furious:
I agree! He should have never committed the crime, then he would have nothing to be remorseful about.

I honestly think if he were truly that remorseful he should have taken that pencil and jammed it deep into his eyeball & into his brain and killed himself to spare the family any more grief!

Linda7NJ said:
I honestly think if he were truly that remorseful he should have taken that pencil and jammed it deep into his eyeball & into his brain and killed himself to spare the family any more grief!
dang!!!! LOL, that would be something!

He is not remorseful for what he did ... He is remorseful for now having to pay the price.

Linda7NJ said:
I like how you think.

oh boo hoo hoo hoo. I don't give a crap. He's just freaking scared to meet his maker. He knows he's in for it over there.

Kill the sob.

SEDT or Same Excuses Different for those less familiar with my favorite phrase on this topic.I am quite sure all thugs are sorry,nice guys framed by a crooked legal system,and mere fodder for the killing machine,if we listen to them and their perverted groupies.of coarse they are sorry,to hear them say it tugs upon the hearts and emotions of the morons out here who actually believe an innocent life lost is not worthy of justice.They are sorry because they know there are fools out here in the real world who will flock to their side and go to all ends to spare their pathetic arses from a needle.Irregardless of how sorry they are however,they are also guilty of murder.I am sorry about a lot of things myself,i regret thousands of people have been murdered by these animals,I regret that our court system bends over backwards to appease them,and I am sorry the thugs are still breathing.Since when did being sorry make it ok to murder people?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back