1352 users online (350 members and 1002 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

AK - Francois Guenot, 32, Kamishak Bay, 26 May 2014

http://www.adn.com/article/20140718/...f-alaska-coast

Guenot — "The Crazy Frenchman," as some knew him — was trying to make his way to the Kamchatka Peninsula of Russia from the village of Kokhanok on the south shore of giant Iliamna Lake, the eighth-largest in the U.S. The easiest route would be down the lake, out the Kvichak River to Bristol Bay and then west across the Bering Sea.

But the 32-year-old Guenot chose to go overland from the village to Kamishak Bay on the wild north coast of Katmai National Park and Preserve. He was last seen there on May 26 at Amakdedori Creek, about 200 miles southwest of Anchorage.

Three weeks later, his kayak was found washed up on a beach near Cape Douglas. There was no sign of Guenot. Not a hint of him has been found since.
    Guenot had a previous misadventure in 2012:

http://www.yukon-news.com/life/close...ost-adventurer

French traveller Francois Guenot is lucky to be alive. After getting lost on a solo trek in the Ethel Lake area, he arrived in Mayo, soaking wet from a fall in the Stewart River and with no food left in his supplies. He climbed the dyke and started knocking on doors looking for help.

Guenot is a 32-year-old ski instructor from Maiche, France who arrived in Canada last summer. Ever since he was a child, he said he dreamed of the world map and the North.

Ragtag adventurer from France still missing along Gulf of Alaska coast

Friends of Frenchman Francois Guenot still aren't sure of where he was going when he disappeared along the Gulf of Alaska coast in June, but they have begun to resign themselves to the fact they will likely never hear from him again.

[snip]

The prevalent belief is that Guenot got washed out of his kayak in a June storm that ripped the Katmai coast, and that he then fell victim to the cold waters.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140718/...f-alaska-coast

http://www.adn.com/article/20140811/...-hiking-katmai

Two family members of a French adventurer missing in Alaska for more than two months have traveled thousands of miles in hopes of finding some, if any, clues about his disappearance. They think there’s a chance Francois Guenot is hiking in the area of Katmai National Park and Preserve due to important survival items missing from recovered belongings.

Philippe and Robert Guenot -- Francois’ brother and father, respectively -- currently are hunkered down in Homer. A friendly local pilot opened his household to the men, and they’ve been staying there for two weeks...

They’ve paid the pilot for fuel to fly them over certain areas Francois traveled. No signs -- the most visible of which would be an orange T-shirt wrapped around the adventurer’s head or the blue tarp -- were spotted. Now, Francois’ family is asking Alaska State Troopers to step up and offer search-and-rescue assets.

Wow. His plan definitely seems… challenging.

And illegal. I know Americans need Visas to enter Russia and they really frown on people even going from Little Diomede to Big Diomede.
    Unless I've provided a link, most of what I say is my own opinion. Sometimes, I'm thinking out loud and may explore avenues I don't necessarily think are true, but I'm always aware I could be wrong, so I check other stuff out.

Yeah, a lot of wishful thinking there, I'm afraid. But who knows? Francois might just come strolling out of the wilderness one day. Stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieGranny View Post
    Yeah, a lot of wishful thinking there, I'm afraid. But who knows? Francois might just come strolling out of the wilderness one day. Stranger things have happened.
    Or a Russian gulag. They're VERY serious about border control. At the Russia/Norway border, it is illegal to wave to someone on the other side. Wave. (At least it was in 2005 or so.)
    Unless I've provided a link, most of what I say is my own opinion. Sometimes, I'm thinking out loud and may explore avenues I don't necessarily think are true, but I'm always aware I could be wrong, so I check other stuff out.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/skelet...lorer/29570146

Dental records confirm a skeleton that washed ashore on Shuyak Island, about 70 miles north of Kodiak, are the remains of a French explorer last seen in May.

"Through dental record comparison, the (State Medical Examiner's Office) has positively identified the human remains as those of Francois Guenot," Alaska State Troopers wrote in a Wednesday dispatch.