1081 users online (162 members and 919 guests)  

Websleuths News

Poll: Where do you live?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Montjoy View Post
    I once read a well-meaning academic paper about introducing the Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) to Antarctica. Forunately, it was not well-received. I work in the arctic half of the year, and I've been fortunate enough to see 8 living polar bears in the wild, and three dead ones. The last time I saw a polar bear, or two, broke my heart: a mama bear attacked a dog team located outside of town in a high arctic community, and was shot. That happens, but what made it sadder was that she had been dragging around her dead cub, hoping, I guess, that it would come back to life. The wildlife expert/hunting and trapping official on site thought the cub had probably been dead for a couple of weeks.
    How heartbreaking.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Montjoy View Post
    I once read a well-meaning academic paper about introducing the Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) to Antarctica. Forunately, it was not well-received. I work in the arctic half of the year, and I've been fortunate enough to see 8 living polar bears in the wild, and three dead ones. The last time I saw a polar bear, or two, broke my heart: a mama bear attacked a dog team located outside of town in a high arctic community, and was shot. That happens, but what made it sadder was that she had been dragging around her dead cub, hoping, I guess, that it would come back to life. The wildlife expert/hunting and trapping official on site thought the cub had probably been dead for a couple of weeks.
    As Linda7NJ said, How heartbreaking.
    Her maternal instinct was so strong.....how heartbreaking, then someone shot her.
    It is even more heartbreaking when you think that a lot of people pay to go on a Polar Bear Tour. People pay a lot of money to see a polar bear in its natural habitat.
    Otherwise the only other way to see one is in a Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl12 View Post
    As Linda7NJ said, How heartbreaking.
    Her maternal instinct was so strong.....how heartbreaking, then someone shot her.
    It is even more heartbreaking when you think that a lot of people pay to go on a Polar Bear Tour. People pay a lot of money to see a polar bear in its natural habitat.
    Otherwise the only other way to see one is in a Zoo.
    My Dad was an aerial surveyor and was in the Arctic. A village was having problems with a polar bear and my dead, being an animal lover, said he and his pilot would run the bear off with the helicopter. The found the polar bear and started "buzzing" it. The bear obligingly took off away from the village. However, the next time the helicopter tried to buzz him, he stood tall and swiped at the pontoons. He nearly brought down the helicopter and Dad found huge bear claws embedded in the pontoon. He brought the claws home for my brother and me.
    MOO

The Websleuths Census

Quote Originally Posted by glamourkitty1922 View Post
    My Dad was an aerial surveyor and was in the Arctic. A village was having problems with a polar bear and my dead, being an animal lover, said he and his pilot would run the bear off with the helicopter. The found the polar bear and started "buzzing" it. The bear obligingly took off away from the village. However, the next time the helicopter tried to buzz him, he stood tall and swiped at the pontoons. He nearly brought down the helicopter and Dad found huge bear claws embedded in the pontoon. He brought the claws home for my brother and me.
    That musta been very scary...a polar bear doing his King Kong impersonation!!!

Is this your cat? Found em playing with my lipstick
    Last edited by Linda7NJ; 08-07-2014 at 06:39 PM. Reason: gfx

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

I was really tempted to tick 'Antarctica' but I was able to resist the urge for the sake of Websleuths

San Francisco with seasonal posts from Little Saigon (OC), California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    findsierralamar.com
    #JusticeForSierraLaMar #JusticeForLittleChris #JusticeForSierah #JusticeForMalik #JusticeForAnGelica #JusticeForErin #JusticeForGabbi #JusticeForBecky #JusticeForKarina #JusticeForCharli #JusticeForJoshua #JusticeForCooper #JusticeForBella #JusticeForHeatherElvis #JusticeForJenise #JusticeForOmaree #JusticeForTristan #JusticeForJordyn
    #FindSierraLaMar #FindKatelin #FindRelishaRudd #FindBabyDelano #FindBabyDaphne #FindMyraLewis #FindDeOrr

#LongLiveWebSleuths
    @

Tampa, Florida :-) hoping one day to move to Seattle..

#ComeHomeChristina

Hi there everyone.
    Im from a town called Bendigo in regional Victoria,(it's a beautiful place) Australia. I love Websleuths and would get on more often if time permitted (we are on a horse farm) my fave thread is the True Crime Movie and chatting back and forth with Stanreid and fellow movie buffs. I also try to keep up with the McStay Family news as that sort of stuff never makes the news here. Kate x

Quote Originally Posted by anxietyqueen View Post
    Hi there everyone.
    Im from a town called Bendigo in regional Victoria,(it's a beautiful place) Australia. I love Websleuths and would get on more often if time permitted (we are on a horse farm) my fave thread is the True Crime Movie and chatting back and forth with Stanreid and fellow movie buffs. I also try to keep up with the McStay Family news as that sort of stuff never makes the news here. Kate x
    Hey Kate I'm Christina. Australia is absolutely beautiful, I'm jealous lol. Btw, I love y'alls accent!!

#ComeHomeChristina

Quote Originally Posted by anxietyqueen View Post
    Hi there everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Z&BsMommy View Post
    Hey Kate I'm Christina. Australia is absolutely beautiful, I'm jealous lol. Btw, I love y'alls accent!!

#ComeHomeChristina
    My home Australia-fanbloodytastic one day and bloodybeautiful the next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	62151  
    JMHOO

Chemo a day keeps the funeral away
    ET go home

Okay, fess up, WHO picked Antarctica???? LOL!

North America

Portugal
    ůman differs from the animal by the fact that he is a killer; he the only primate that kills and tortures members of his own species without any reason, either biological or economic, and who feels satisfaction in doing so.
    Erich Fromm (Anatomy of Human Destructiveness)

Scotland!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    All posts are MOO!

Just passing through.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast