KS - TWO children in separate incidents rescued from hot cars

hopingicanhelp

Reaction score
Ok, now I'm just stunned -- first, it's ALL over the news NOT to leave children or pets in cars ... there is a HEAT ADVISORY ongoing for Kansas, but this just takes the cake and I am flabbergasted at LE...

Case 1:

5 1/2 year old child -- FIVE AND A HALF YEARS OLD -- "forgotten" in the car; LE bought it and returned child to parents, no arrests made... oh, but windows were cracked... smh

Case 2:

Mom leaves 1 yr old child in car to run into store; turns on auto-start and AC; is honest with LE and tells them she did this... apparently she's unaware that the auto-start doesn't remain on in that vehicle... She is arrested!

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Garden-City-Police-investigate-2-separate-incidents-of-children-left-in-hot-cars-268006311.html

THIS is what BLOWS MY MIND!

Neither case is acceptable -- neither one.
But ok, LE, let's actually believe that a FIVE AND A HALF YEAR OLD child was "forgotten" -- with windows just cracked -- NO A/C -- during a heat advisory and turn the kid back over to parents.... MEANWHILE, a mother ADMITS leaving her child, thinking A/C was running longer than just the 10 minutes (she says she was away about 15 min), and arrest HER???

Where's the logic? They should BOTH be arrested, but so far Mom #2 has a helluva lot more going for her than JRH because she TOLD THE TRUTH... a lot more going for her than Mom #1 because WHO "forgets" a FIVE YEAR OLD?

JMO, but... Makes me :sick:

SBM
Ok, now I'm just stunned -- first, it's ALL over the news NOT to leave children or pets in cars ... there is a HEAT ADVISORY ongoing for Kansas, but this just takes the cake and I am flabbergasted at LE...
Case 1:
5 1/2 year old child -- FIVE AND A HALF YEARS OLD -- "forgotten" in the car; LE bought it and returned child to parents, no arrests made... oh, but windows were cracked... smh....
http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Garden-City-Police-investigate-2-separate-incidents-of-children-left-in-hot-cars-268006311.html. ....
JMO, but... Makes me :sick:

From above link:
"....The family told police that they had left their other children in the care of a grandparent and believe the baby had been left with them. Medical personnel checked the baby out and he was not hurt....."

Maybe couple referred to 5 YEAR old as baby 9esp. if child was youngest of all their children), but reporter said med personnel
checked the baby out. Is it poss s/he is 5 MONTHS old?

Couldn't/wouldn't most 5 YEAR old kids get out of car on own if it had really hot inside, IOW disobeyed parents?
Not excusing parents.

Yes you are right! I checked another different news source here: http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/two-children-left-in-hot-cars-in-2-days-in-garden-city/27075970

Sure enough child is 5 MONTHS, not five years...

when I thought the child was 5 years (and this article states child was crying) I was immediately MORE furious with the parents and thought no way they "forgot" a 5 year old and he was obviously told to stay there and was crying -- otherwise why wouldn't he get out (imo)...

Thanks for the catch!

My initial post hasn't allowed me to edit or I would have to correct child's age in Case 1 --

New update -- both sets of parents are being charged after the county atty's office was petitioned -- apparently because Mom #2 admitted voluntarily leaving child in car they had reason to arrest her on site and they didn't have reason to arrest Mom/Dad in Case 1 because child was not in apparent, immediate danger by releasing the baby to them.

ksn.com
kake.com

hopingicanhelp

Glad you checked later articles that corrected the child's age.

The article did not note that the age had been incorrectly shown in earlier editions. Grrr.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back