China goes crazy over cat cafes

zwiebel

Reaction score
A cat cafe craze in China appears to be getting out of control. Competition's hotting up and some cafes appear to have more cats than paying customers

'....Yuan Yipeng worries about making the rent and whether his storefront can distinguish itself in a city jam-packed with 21 million other strivers. Unlike most other mom-and-pop entrepreneurs, his particular dream involves some 80 cats.

Accordingly, Mr. Yuan set out to create his vision of quality entertainment: an admittedly fusty-smelling neighborhood café where cats sprawl cheek-by-jowl with coffee-sipping customers. (He also serves a range of deserts that are prepared, he says, in a kitchen where cats are off-limits.)'

One of his competitors nearby complains: “Some people just don’t know how to have fun with cats,” said Zhang Lange, citing the risk of customers getting scratched and demanding compensation.

'....other competitors appealing to feline lovers have also started to loom. A number of stores nearby, including a number of small boutiques selling clothes and knick-knacks, he says, have also cottoned onto the act. “They all have cats now,” he says mournfully.'

* I'm just envisioning the result of me accidentally walking into a cafe full of cats with my dog. It doesn't bear thinking about. It was bad enough walking into a cafe in France where a boar's head was mounted on the wall - no french chic possible when a person's got to handle a mad mutt who thinks he's protecting a room full of people from a monster coming out of the wall....

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/...ong-neighborhoods-cat-cafes-prove-contagious/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 12
Ummm - where's a person supposed to put their coffee? That cat doesn't leave an awful lot of room on the table.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back