1127 users online (278 members and 849 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Huge dust storm smothers Phoenix

A massive dust storm has engulfed Phoenix, cutting power to more than 10,000 Salt River homes and stopping flights at the airport.

'Visibility could be reduced to less than a quarter of a mile in some areas,' and drivers are being warned to pull off the road if they're caught up in it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/...x-area-n165466

'Known as an “Haboob”, the intense storms can generate winds of up to 40 miles per hour.'

http://www.news.com.au/world/massive...-1227002420659
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

That is a BIG dust storm. I feel sorry for all the people (and animals) in its path.

That is massive. Thanks for the heads up. Need to call my Sis and BIL who live there. Was out there and had a car rental a few years back. Out of nowhere came a sandstorm. I assume the same as a dust storm? Nowhere as massive as this. It was frightening. Rocks flying and one managed to hit the windshield.
    All posts are my opinion only unless supported by a link
    Keep calm and carry on
    "Your out of your tree" "It's not my tree"

Meanwhile, it's raining here in Palm Springs, same desert but 270 miles east. We've had flash flood warnings for two days.

Who says desert weather never changes?

(Bravo, we have smaller sand/dust storms here (smaller because our valley is narrower and we are surrounded by mountains) and, yes, people often have to replace their windshields afterwards. Blowing sand leaves pits in the glass.)

Looking at that dust/sand storm it is easy to see how it can clog up the jets of an aircraft and bring an aircraft down. The "Haboobs" they get in Africa can be 30,000 feet high, the same height an aircraft flies at. It is easy to see how a "Haboob" could be the reason the "Air Algeria" plane crashed, (the crash happened at about midnight). It would be impossible to see the boundaries in the dark. The incredible and unpredictable forces of nature.

How surreal and frightening!
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

I was in a city once that had a severe dust storm, though it wasn't a haboob like the one in Phoenix. People were walking around wearing ski goggles and scarves (it was April in a city with a warm climate). I was leaving town that day and I remember I could feel dust particles crunching in my mouth, even after multiple efforts to rinse. Yuck.