CA CA - Kathryn LaMadrid, 40, Fort Bragg, 17 December 2004

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
cUxxVvA.jpg

http://theava.com/archives/1225

It was an argument, Casillas would later say during a court hearing, about his sister being “under the influence.”

“I needed help hanging some doors and she said ‘no,’” Casillas said. “And then we started arguing and I yelled at her… She started walking down the gravel road in front of my house, which is across from McDonald’s in Fort Bragg. I watched her. She walked away and she glanced back at the house. And I wanted to run out and apologize to her. I kept wanting to apologize. I stopped myself and I said I’ll apologize to her next time I see her.” Then she was gone...

The police, meanwhile, don’t seem any closer to solving the LaMadrid mystery... “It could be something as simple as — she walked out to Glass Beach and fell in,” Lorenzo said. “Or maybe somebody was out to get her. Or it’s possible she’s in some other state hiding out under a different name. But when it’s this long, that’s hard to believe.”

NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1269

Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lamadrid_kathryn.html

Kathy is described as a white female, 5'8" tall and 165 pounds, with blue eyes and short blonde hair dyed black. She has a ring tattoed on her left ring finger.

I have read about this case before. I tend to think suicide is definitely a possibility here.

A nice article on Shelli's quest to find Kathryn and the assistance she has given to others who also have loved ones missing.

http://www.sacmag.com/Sacramento-Magazine/December-2015/Shellis-Quest/

On Shelli LaMadrid’s 39th birthday, Dec. 17, 2004, her ex-girlfriend vanished without a trace. To this day, the woman remains missing, despite several searches that have largely turned up empty and with no clear indication as to whether foul play was involved.

LaMadrid didn’t know about the disappearance until two weeks later, on New Year’s Day. She had called and called her friend’s brother, trying to figure out what happened, and finally got an answer: A petty argument between the two siblings prompted Kathryn La Madrid to walk out of her brother’s house in Fort Bragg, where she had been living, and not return.

Since that first phone call with Kathy’s brother, LaMadrid has single-mindedly focused on figuring out what happened; she’s convinced foul play was involved and that Kathy won’t be found alive. But she keeps waiting for her investigation to produce a major breakthrough, to perhaps finally provide some closure to those involved in this long and emotionally exhausting journey.

“I just feel like a big injustice has been done,” LaMadrid says. “I don’t think she’s going to get justice [but] I want to find her for her family and for myself so I can get on with my life. Because I’m kind of stuck.”

Kathryn (or Katherine) "Kathy" Rebecca LaMadrid
Date of birth: 25 October 1964
Mendocino County Sheriff's Office Case # 04-4446
NamUS MP 3 1269
Doe Network # 3597DFCA
White female, 68 - 70 inches tall, weight 160 - 170 pounds, blonde hair (may be dyed black), blue eyes. Known to wear baggy men's clothing. She wears clear frame glasses or contact lenses. In addition to the ring tattoo on her hand, she may wear plain silver rings on her fingers. Her left ear is pierced. She may also be wearing a St Christopher's Medal.

Unspoken but apparent in all accounts is her lesbian inclination. While unremarkable in urban areas, her behavior in a small logging/fishing town almost certainly attracted some unwelcome notice.

Dental Xrays, fingerprints, and DNA results are all on file.

Above summary abstracted from prior posted links.

Kathy was originally from Sacramento. After working for DMV for some years, she moved to Fort Bragg CA. There she worked in McDonald's or gas stations or similar work.

In November 2004, she was injured and arrested for DUI when she had an accident with a borrowed car. She missed her court date on that charge. Then on 15 December 2004, a former boss accused Kathy of stealing $300. There were also rumors that Kathy was involved with Fort Bragg's meth underground.

Kathy was living with her older brother and his wife. After arguing with him about whether she was "under the influence", she walked off towards McDonald's and was last seen crossing the old Noyo River Bridge. (Google overhead photos show the new replacement.)

On 26 December 2004, and on 11 January 2005, she was reportedly sighted in town. In January 2005, a Fort Bragg CA family on vacation at Disney World in Orlando claimed to have seen Kathy with another woman at the Florida resort. She has also been reportedly seen in Ukiah CA, Roseburg OR, and Myrtle Creek OR. She had reportedly gone off her psychotropic meds, and may have been suffering from amnesia.

Again, summarized from posted links.

Kathy's former significant other SL has dedicated herself both to finding Kathy, and to finding other missing persons. She has joined the El Dorado County Search and Rescue Team. While following this lead, I came across this startling non sequitur paragraph in an article:

"It was said that they took Kathy on a beer run, all dressed in black. Four hours later, they came back with blood and mud on their clothes. Somebody did something to her. We believe she is no longer with us."

This startling announcement of foul play segues into the fact that SL has raised money for five cadaver dog hunts over the years, looking for Kathy.

So, who are "they"?

Fox 40 news: http://fox40.com/2014/08/31/sacrame...issing-partner-raising-funds-for-next-search/

In May 2013, SL found a black polo shirt in the forest, partially hidden by pine needles. The shirt was disintegrating and seemed to have bloodstains on it. They left it in situ. However, Kathy's sister-in-law identified it as similar to one of Kathy's shirts, which was missing.

In May 2014, SL returned, accompanied the El Dorado search team. They recovered the shirt, bagged it and sealed it, and turned it over to the Sheriff for lab analysis. They also found a sleeping bag, duct tape, and additional clothing.

The next investigative trip, in September, was unsuccessful due to lack of time and a shovel breaking.

Sacramento Magazine, http://www.sacmag.com/Sacramento-Magazine/December-2015/Shellis-Quest

Kathy's brother has also continued the search for Kathy over the years. He has offered reward money up to $30,000 for information concerning her. It is apparent that he eventually believed he knew who murdered Kathy. In his bitter frustration, he agreed to pay for retaliatory killings of five people he believed responsible. Consequently, he was convicted of solicitation of murder and imprisoned; he has since been released.

Source: http://theava.com/archives/1225

Information concerning this case may be called in to the MCSO Tipline at 707-234-2100. Their Investigative Services Bureau may be emailed to barneys@co.mendocino.ca.us.The Sheriff's Office can also be reached at 951 Low Gap Road, Ukiah, CA 95482.

Scant as the above evidence of foul play is, there are dark overtones of a gang of bored intoxicated small-town youths running amok--maybe with the intent of "curing the lezzie" by raping her, then shutting her mouth forever. We have had that sort of thing before in Mendocino County, as in the similar ongoing cold case of Barbara Jean Stroud:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ino-County-7-January-1973&highlight=Mendocino

So, were the five people the brother wanted murdered the mysterious "They" of the beer run?

We may get some answers to these questions if SL accepts my invitation to comment on this thread. She has been quite active in locating missing persons since Kathy vanished. She is still searching for Kathy. I emailed SL yesterday.

Katherine Rebecca Lamadrid was last seen on Dec. 17, 2004, in Fort Bragg. She was born in 1964 and described as 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds with blonde hair and blue eyes. Anyone with information about Lamadrid’s location is asked to contact the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office at 707-463-4095and reference case number 044466.

Missing person cases in Mendocino and Lake counties

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sneetchysneetches