1224 users online (237 members and 987 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

We're gonna need a bigger fly swat

An aquatic fly large enought to cover a person's face has been discovered in Sichuan Province in China. And it has teeth.

It actually looks quite beautiful - if you can ignore the nasty-looking teeth and pincers. Scientists say their presence is a sign of good water quality, so I suppose that's some consolation for people running into one of these big bugs, when they're not expecting it.

'The world's largest flying aquatic insect, with huge, nightmarish pincers, has been discovered in China's Sichuan province, experts say.
    According to the Insect Museum of West China, local villagers in the outskirts of Chengdu handed over "weird insects that resemble giant dragonflies with long teeth" earlier this month.'

The largest one measured 21 centimeters (8.27 inches) when its wings were open, according to the museum...'

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/22/wo...ina/index.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

Jurassic park called. They want their poop-buzzards back.

Seriously, though, how fantastic is it that these critters are only now "discovered" (though the locals have probably known about them forever).

Pretty...scary...pretty scary.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopyDawgDawg View Post
    Pretty...scary...pretty scary.
    I've never seen a real one, but it looks like a Palmetto bug that our Louisiana friends complain about. Also, there is a lot of stuff we don't know about this planet. Some of the things have pharmaceutical value we have yet to learn about.

Mr Z's first thought was it's probably edible.

Disclaimer: I'm only married to him. Not responsible for his opinions.
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

Mr Z can have my share, I just lost my appetite

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

scorpionfly.jpg

speaking of creepy looking bugs

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    I've never seen a real one, but it looks like a Palmetto bug that our Louisiana friends complain about. Also, there is a lot of stuff we don't know about this planet. Some of the things have pharmaceutical value we have yet to learn about.
    "Palmetto bug" is a polite way of saying big huge icky yucky cockroach. They control parts of Florida too. I'd post a picture, but I do not want to be responsible for people's nightmares, including my own.

yeah palmettos are like huge flying cockroaches on steriods. Shudder. My big phobic fear. I am pathologically fearful of and grossed out by cockroaches of any variety - but those suckers are like sci fi large and creepy

I just googled 'palmetto bug' and I'm like.... wut. Those are just normal cockroaches.

Then I remembered: I'm Australian.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcya View Post
    scorpionfly.jpg

speaking of creepy looking bugs
    WHAT THE IS THAT THING?!

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebel View Post
    Mr Z's first thought was it's probably edible.

Disclaimer: I'm only married to him. Not responsible for his opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopyDawgDawg View Post
    "Palmetto bug" is a polite way of saying big huge icky yucky cockroach. They control parts of Florida too. I'd post a picture, but I do not want to be responsible for people's nightmares, including my own.
    Is it ok to show the GEICO dude chowing down on one?

030809bc-010.jpg

I recall, however, having a minor conniption the first time I saw a picture of a camel spider. WTF. Friends who did tours in Iraq told me these things liked to creep into their boots and gear in the night. Horrors!

camel-spider.jpg

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast