We're gonna need a bigger fly swat

zwiebel

Reaction score
An aquatic fly large enought to cover a person's face has been discovered in Sichuan Province in China. And it has teeth.

It actually looks quite beautiful - if you can ignore the nasty-looking teeth and pincers. Scientists say their presence is a sign of good water quality, so I suppose that's some consolation for people running into one of these big bugs, when they're not expecting it.

'The world's largest flying aquatic insect, with huge, nightmarish pincers, has been discovered in China's Sichuan province, experts say.
According to the Insect Museum of West China, local villagers in the outskirts of Chengdu handed over "weird insects that resemble giant dragonflies with long teeth" earlier this month.'

The largest one measured 21 centimeters (8.27 inches) when its wings were open, according to the museum...'

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/22/world/asia/giant-insect-china/index.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 116
Jurassic park called. They want their poop-buzzards back.

Seriously, though, how fantastic is it that these critters are only now "discovered" (though the locals have probably known about them forever).

Pretty...scary...pretty scary.

I've never seen a real one, but it looks like a Palmetto bug that our Louisiana friends complain about. Also, there is a lot of stuff we don't know about this planet. Some of the things have pharmaceutical value we have yet to learn about.

Mr Z's first thought was it's probably edible.

Disclaimer: I'm only married to him. Not responsible for his opinions.

Mr Z can have my share, I just lost my appetite :D

scorpionfly.jpg

speaking of creepy looking bugs

I've never seen a real one, but it looks like a Palmetto bug that our Louisiana friends complain about. Also, there is a lot of stuff we don't know about this planet. Some of the things have pharmaceutical value we have yet to learn about.

"Palmetto bug" is a polite way of saying big huge icky yucky cockroach. They control parts of Florida too. I'd post a picture, but I do not want to be responsible for people's nightmares, including my own.

yeah palmettos are like huge flying cockroaches on steriods. Shudder. My big phobic fear. I am pathologically fearful of and grossed out by cockroaches of any variety - but those suckers are like sci fi large and creepy

I just googled 'palmetto bug' and I'm like.... wut. Those are just normal cockroaches.

Then I remembered: I'm Australian. ;)

"Palmetto bug" is a polite way of saying big huge icky yucky cockroach. They control parts of Florida too. I'd post a picture, but I do not want to be responsible for people's nightmares, including my own.

Is it ok to show the GEICO dude chowing down on one?

030809bc-010.jpg

I recall, however, having a minor conniption the first time I saw a picture of a camel spider. WTF. Friends who did tours in Iraq told me these things liked to creep into their boots and gear in the night. Horrors!

camel-spider.jpg

Is this one ok or not. If it isn't I won't post it again.

2715163403_99986304de_z.jpg

As a student I "enjoyed" many a cockroach-infested apartment. Heck, by the end of my poverty-stricken days I almost thought of them as pets. Luckily the cold winters here kill off those horrible Palmetto bugs and we don't have to deal with them!

My sister and I went to Buenos Aires a few months ago. We rented a lovely apartment. Unfortunately a large cockroach or two decided to make their presence known after we were there a couple of days. My sister freaked out. I was not too concerned and didn't want to vacate this lovely apartment (ideally located; roomy; great concierge/security guy; cheap as borscht). The landlords had the apartment sprayed by the next morning and all was good! ....until my sister say a dead cockroach in the bedroom. :gaah:

I recall, however, having a minor conniption the first time I saw a picture of a camel spider. WTF. Friends who did tours in Iraq told me these things liked to creep into their boots and gear in the night. Horrors!

View attachment 55674

Oh dear... I'd shoot my own foot off if I saw one of those suckers on it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back