VA - Hope Wagoner, 5, dies in laundromat washer, 17 June 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
An investigation into the death of Rebecca Hope Wagoner continued as the family prepared for the child’s funeral. No charges had been filed.

It is not known how the 30-pound girl ended up inside the triple-load washing machine, Sheffield said.

The mother, Rebecca Billings Wagoner, told police she had gone outside the laundromat and left Rebecca and her 14-year-old brother inside, Sheffield said. He wouldn’t give the brother’s name.

The mother told police she went inside the laundromat and saw Rebecca inside the machine. She said she tried to open the door, but it wouldn’t budge.

"Once the cycle initiates and the doors close, it’s an airtight seal," the chief said.

The mother finally smashed the door open with a rock and pulled her daughter out before police arrived, he said.

http://www.tricities.com/servlet/Sa...cle&cid=1031783405636&path=/news/localnews&s=

Rebecca Hope Wagoner died on Friday night after being trapped inside an industrial washer at a local Laundromat. Meanwhile the girl’s death is something this small community is trying to understand.

http://www.tricities.com/servlet/Sa...RI_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031783418283

My gosh, that's terrible! Someone should be questioning the 14 yr old brother.

What a horrible thing to happen! I can't even imagine seeing my child like that. Sounds like the brother must have put her in. That poor mother.

The siblings of a 5-year-old girl who was killed last week when she became trapped inside a commercial washing machine have been placed in foster care while investigators determine whether neglect played a role her death, their father said Friday.

"They have no reason to keep my children from me," said Wagoner, his voice breaking with sobs. "It's because I'm standing by my wife."

Police in the tiny mountain town just shy of the Tennessee and West Virginia borders said they are still trying to determine how the girl got inside the washer and how it turned on. The washer requires 11 quarters to operate and will not accept coins until the heavy door is snapped shut. Investigators are examining a range of possibilities from the most innocent -- that Hope climbed into the washer by herself, slamming the door closed, and somehow the machine started -- to the malicious death of Hope at the hands of her half brother.

Wagoner insisted that there was no foul play on the part of his stepson, calling whatever may have transpired between Hope and her brother "horseplay."

Although he said he did not know how the 30-pound girl got inside the washer, he blamed a faulty machine for starting when the door was closed.

Wagoner said his stepson didn't have any money. "All the change they had between them was 50 cents, and it was Hope's," he said.

Police said engineers with Milnor, the company that manufactures the machine, have been running tests to see if the washer could have been closed from the inside or malfunctioned.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/24/AR2005062401656.html

A 14-year-old Chilhowie boy has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in the June death of his 5-year-old half sister, Rebecca Hope Wagoner, who suffocated inside a coin laundry's operating washing machine.
The boy admitted putting the girl in the washer, said the children's grandmother, Anna Billings. "He told his mother that night that he done it."

Smyth County prosecutors announced the felony charge yesterday but would not answer questions about the case. The boy could face up to 10 years in prison if tried and convicted as an adult.

However, Chilhowie Police Chief Dwayne Sheffield said he believes the boy will be prosecuted as a juvenile. If convicted as a minor, the boy could be freed from detention when he turns 18. The Times-Dispatch is withholding his name at this time.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...&cid=1031783717138&path=!news&s=1045855934842

Just now finding this thread... Whew, how awful.
I do wonder if the washer did have a problem. That possibility does need to be checked or re-checked, IMO. Did the owner or manager of this coin laundry know if this fault had been reported prior to this awful situation? The owner of this laundry may get sued, too. I guess we'll see in a couple of years. SMH.

Just now finding this thread... Whew, how awful.
I do wonder if the washer did have a problem. That possibility does need to be checked or re-checked, IMO. Did the owner or manager of this coin laundry know if this fault had been reported prior to this awful situation? The owner of this laundry may get sued, too. I guess we'll see in a couple of years. SMH.

That was 17 years ago. I’d guess that the manufacturer settled long ago.

Here’s a horrifying detail in this article: the mother’s lawyer said that 5 children had been trapped in that brand of washers.

That was 17 years ago. I’d guess that the manufacturer settled long ago.

Here’s a horrifying detail in this article: the mother’s lawyer said that 5 children had been trapped in that brand of washers.

Thanks for the reminder that the death was so many years ago, @wary, and thanks for the MSM article about it. Five children trapped in those washers, oh how awful. I'll bet that company is/was in bad shape with that horrible situation. That may well have, and should have, put them out of business. SMH.
Hoping the families are doing as well as possible -- I just can't imagine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back